2018 Discontinued List

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ABX2011

Re: 2018 Discontinued List

Post by ABX2011 »

GarageBoy wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:21 am
Just remembered that the dallara 3 was supposed to be a trial for the frn version - I'm excited.
Pretty sure Sal stated that the project wasn't moving forward.
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Dang I just read that...
It's a shame, I hope it makes a triumphant return at some point

So torn between wanting an ouroboros, titanium chaparral, d3, and one eyed jack... While also waiting for the rex45 Military
KnickKnackCity

Post by KnickKnackCity »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:27 pm
I'm tempted to buy something just because. :) Not sure what though. The price for the Mantra is nice and I have a $20 KC giftcard that would make it even more attractive. The one I have is in great shape. I'm usually not one to buy back-ups but I like that M4 blade so much I feel compelled to do it. Undecided...

One-eyed Jack would be great buy if I used my giftcard. I'm still not sure about this one though. Not really big on the playing card theme but that filework is great. I don't really need another gent's knife but...

Then there's the kitchen knives. I was already thinking about getting my girl one of these but she already has the K04s & K05s and is really happy with them. The K11P & K12P are really nice though.

The Sprig is sweet but not sure why I'd want (or need) a fixed blade. It'll probably end up in the kitchen drawer next to the Bow River I'll buy when released.

Ugh! Gonna have to give this some more thought. If something sells out in the meantime...oh well I guess.
You're pretty much echoing my state of indecision! :confused: Seems like the last couple of years it was obvious what I was going to pick up as soon as the disco list was published.

Mantra: Love me some M4 but not on board with the flippers.

One eyed jack: Have always had my eye on this one. Dont mind the inlays and real a big fan of the craftmanship on the spine. Only thing hilding me back is that it would probably only get carried a couple times a year (may be in Vegas for work quite a bit over the next year so that # might increase.)

Sage 2: I decided I only needed one cf so I rid of my 5 in favor of the 1. I've always enjoyed the Ti on the 2, but never got around to it. Seems to be getting some good praise from credible members.

Lil' Lum: Mixed reviews on this one here on the forum, but may grab one for a future gift.

Manix BL: Hopefully this means an exclusive is more likely a few years doen the road, but I barely carry my standard CBBL as-is, so will wait for the resurrection.

Ouroboros: This one has the best ergos of any of them for me but dont need more VG10/Black G10

Junction: I hold it every time I am in the SFO. Haven't committed due to the fact that I think it will be another that only gets used a couple times a year. I will probably pick one up anyways.

I did pull the trigger on a K12P yesterday as our K11P see's a ton of use in the kitchen. I know the LC200N series will be coming out, but who knows how long till they hit the street. Gonna discuss with the better-half (corporate chef) if we should get the SE to complete this mini-set.

I highly recommend the Sprig if you are a fisherman or small game/waterfowl sportsman, but those are the only times mine sees the light of day.

I almost want to wait to see if any are at the seconds sale on an even deeper discount, but then I think I should get these good deals now so I can save my knife limit for the 25 Maxamet PM2's I am gonna buy :D
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Doc Dan wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:13 pm
I am not too sorry to see any of these knives go, except the M2 back lock. Are they kidding? This is the best M2 ever made. Now, a color change would be nice, say forest green, or something. But to discontinue the best back lock knife on the market? Unthinkable.
Tell me more, please. I never got on wth the cbbl.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

ABX2011 wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:03 am
GarageBoy wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:21 am
Just remembered that the dallara 3 was supposed to be a trial for the frn version - I'm excited.
Pretty sure Sal stated that the project wasn't moving forward.
It lost the main differentiating feature of the D’allara: a heavily contoured handle. You can’t ask people to buy an expensive G10 version of something and just imagine how comfortable it’ll be once you’re able to contour the handle with FRN. I know the effort was to make it more carry friendly but a straight slab-sided D’allara was never ever going to work. At that point you’re just making a BBL model with a certain blade shape. Heck even there they probably went with the wrong one: a SE rescue style BBL would have at least been unique.

As a stalwart D’alla supporter (I adore my drop point original), I was disappointed in how this version ended up and would love to see it live on somehow.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:25 am
Doc Dan wrote:
I am not too sorry to see any of these knives go, except the M2 back lock. Are they kidding? This is the best M2 ever made. Now, a color change would be nice, say forest green, or something. But to discontinue the best back lock knife on the market? Unthinkable.
Well, for starters it has a super strong back lock that has tolerance you would not believe. It locks into place with such authority it vibrates the whole knife. The handle is thicker so it is more comfortable in my large hand. It also has a thicker spine, but gets nice and thin behind the edge so it is a great slicer. The thick spine is paired with a large pivot pin. The overall effect is a knife that is build to use, and to use hard. It is the one folder I would take if limited to only one.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

I would say don’t think of the One-Eyed Jack as a “dress” or occasional carry. It is a surprisingly useful knife. Mine is in my pocket now.

Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Knife Center already removed the Sage2 from their website. It was $149 yesterday. It's the slimmest of the series, and arguably the best fit and finish. I picked up a backup yesterday.

Any chance this mean a Sage6 is in line for production?
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

KnickKnackCity wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:06 am
Mantra: Love me some M4 but not on board with the flippers.

If you like the Delica at all then the Mantra is a must IMO. It doesn't matter if it's a flipper because using the hole for deployment actually works equal to or better than using the flipper. The bearing are great in mine but I've also never messed with the pivot. If/when I do I'll be making sure to not overtighten. Love the blade shape, M4 steel, smooth action, wire clip etc.
KnickKnackCity wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:06 am
Sage 2: I decided I only needed one cf so I rid of my 5 in favor of the 1. I've always enjoyed the Ti on the 2, but never got around to it. Seems to be getting some good praise from credible members.
I have 4 versions of the Sage series and the S2 is by far my favorite. I don't carry it much lately only because it has a lot of competition these days including some other Ti framelock knives (Mantra, Advocate, ZT 0450, etc). But, unless there's a drastic change in my life, the Sage 2 will always be part of my collection.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Doc Dan wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:34 am
ChrisinHove wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:25 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Well, for starters it has a super strong back lock that has tolerance you would not believe. It locks into place with such authority it vibrates the whole knife. The handle is thicker so it is more comfortable in my large hand. It also has a thicker spine, but gets nice and thin behind the edge so it is a great slicer. The thick spine is paired with a large pivot pin. The overall effect is a knife that is build to use, and to use hard. It is the one folder I would take if limited to only one.
[Groan...] ... I want one now, but it’s sooo close in blade to my lil Temp 3...
Sjucaveman

Post by Sjucaveman »

I am very tempted for the backlock manix but I've got 2 shaman for my hard use folders so far.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Adam
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

I'm surprised the see the Lil' Temp 3 live to 'cut' another year! ;)
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 3-11-2024 Instagram
juggler

Post by juggler »

I thought it would be worse, to be honest. There's no knife I'm really sorry to see discontinued as in previous years. Maybe I'll get a One-Eyed Jack, if the price is right...
Time is a great teacher. Unfortunately, it kills all its pupils.
archangel

Post by archangel »

Dang. Bushcraft order placed at KC. :o I couln't resist.

And my FRN Stretch is on sale. So if prices drop on any of my preferred Bay stores, I'll place another order. :)
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
FullCircleHook

Post by FullCircleHook »

abbazaba wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:49 am
Knife Center already removed the Sage2 from their website.
I see that they removed the Sprig as well. I’m glad I grabbed one quickly!
Spyderman91

Post by Spyderman91 »

Man, Knifecenter is really tempting with the price on the Mantra and the Pattada.....
Spyderman91

Post by Spyderman91 »

FullCircleHook wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:50 am
abbazaba wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:49 am
Knife Center already removed the Sage2 from their website.
I see that they removed the Sprig as well. I’m glad I grabbed one quickly!
Son of a B -.- was on the fence with the Sprig last night... but decided against it because I don't do enough fishing to justify owning it >.<
Chopping Broccoli

Post by Chopping Broccoli »

I ordered a Sprig from BHQ. I like my South Fork. Figure I'll like the Sprig as well. Better get it before its gone!
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

I see KC removed the Chefs knife K12P too...I ordered one last night, phew...

The Chaparral has been in and out of my shopping carts for years, at $139 I finally got one too. I dig the simplicity of the ti folders like the Sage 2, Pits etc.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

AT Barr's are gone at KC too