Spyderco Salt Knives as Anti-Shark Defense Tools?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpyderScout

Re: Spyderco Salt Knives as Anti-Shark Defense Tools?

Post by SpyderScout »

Bloke wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:36 am
SEF, apex predators generally weigh the odds in their favour before they strike.

If the gif below rings true and I don’t think it’t be too far off the mark, I say God Help You because no knife will. :eek:

The real world is not far from the above scenario ... to say the least. A determined/attacking shark is something to behold.
And as you say, fat lot of good a knife will do, should a human be the center of attention of the shark in the below clip (01:45 in):

https://youtu.be/pgYmY6--DjI

Its a bit like those carrying a knife to hold of wild dogs attacking .... just X 100.
SpyderScout

Post by SpyderScout »

There is the Wasp Injection Knife but Id hate to have an attacking shark come that close.

https://youtu.be/rbXvbltHiv0

Speaking of too close for comfort:
Diver jams spear gun into mouth of shark. Happens very fast. Must have been a nasty experience.
https://youtu.be/VNE2Phr ... jreload=10

As others have mentioned, a Bangstick with a little bit more reach. Would also be my choice if I chose to swim in shark infested waters. Id prefer not to be attacked at all, thank you :)

Bangstick explained (including a .50 bangstick)
https://www.guns.com/2013/07/12/the-ban ... -the-menu/

Bangstick
https://youtu.be/RalxSZt ... 1syUp_G0bh
jacala

Post by jacala »

Has anybody used a Spyderco Salt knife to cut up a shark for cooking purposes ???
Shark skin is like sandpaper. Good luck if ANY knife is used on a shark for self defense!!!!
lonerider1013

Post by lonerider1013 »

I always thought divers/surfers carried knives as tools, like if they got hung up on rope or something.
That said not sure a folder would be great for something like that, but if you had to it is probably better than nothing. A guy here in my state got attacked by a wild animal while hiking and killed it with a buck folder.
But it was a coyote.
"A fool's blade may be sharper than his brain"
“Learn to ride a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live." - Mark Twain
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Pretty much any knife would be better than nothing. I'm sure plunging 3 or 4 inches of steel into a shark's eye or nose would hurt it more than merely punching it with your fist.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

SpyderScout wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:02 am
The real world is not far from the above scenario ... to say the least. A determined/attacking shark is something to behold.
Hey Scout

Knives may offer some defence over smaller sharks provided your in a situation were you see the shark coming and you can arm yourself.

I’ll relay a first hand account I had with a large shark to the best of my recollection and without exaggeration. I was still an apprentice, drove a pretty new 2Litre VW Combi and camped, surfed and fished up and down the east coast from Sydney every chance I got. Beloved wife was my girlfriend then and she used to surf too.

We where camped on a headland a few hundred kilometres up the coast for a couple of weeks and I got to meet one of the local Professional Fishermen, older than us but a mad surfer too and we hit it off with him and his wife and spent time together.

One night I went with him to set a drum line for sharks. The next morning we’d hooked One Big Mother Black Whaler nearly as big as his 14” tinny that we tail roped, unshackled from the drum and barely managed to drag the mile odd back to the beach the fishing boats launched from.

We ran the tinny up the beach but Tarzan couldn’t have pulled this thing up the beach so we used the winch from the boathouse that was used to pull fishing boats out of the water to drag it up. It was a bloody monster out of the water and close up, about as round as a 44gal drum. It’s tail was about 4’ or more from tip to tip and it was still alive.

This is about were most of you will switch off but I have no reason to lie. Murray wasn’t a small man and the 3 or 4lb axe wasn’t the sharpest but two forceful blows like you’d swing to split wood Did Not break the skin. The third blow did a little and the fourth actually buried the blade to some extent. The tip of a fillet knife would not penetrate the skin and when held at the sharks flank and hit with the palm of the other hand in an attempt to drive it in, flexed the blade and threatened to break it.

We ended up using a bush saw to get under the skin.
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
SpyderScout

Post by SpyderScout »

Bloke wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:55 am

Hey Scout

Knives may offer some defence over smaller sharks provided your in a situation were you see the shark coming and you can arm yourself.
For sure. Especially the Wasp Injector. Even a conventional knife would be better than nothing in my book.
Id just hate to be on the receiving end of an attack from any size shark.
Ive got no experience swimming with sharks but some of the footage, when even smaller sharks take a test 'nibble' of someone leg are pretty graphic. Those serrated and replaceable teeth are very effective to say the least. Spyderco serrations arranged in rows. It doesnt take much to ruin someones day,

Bloke wrote:
I’ll relay a first hand account I had with a large shark to the best of my recollection and without exaggeration. I was still an apprentice, drove a pretty new 2Litre VW Combi and camped, surfed and fished up and down the east coast from Sydney every chance I got. Beloved wife was my girlfriend then and she used to surf too.

We where camped on a headland a few hundred kilometres up the coast for a couple of weeks and I got to meet one of the local Professional Fishermen, older than us but a mad surfer too and we hit it off with him and his wife and spent time together.

One night I went with him to set a drum line for sharks. The next morning we’d hooked One Big Mother Black Whaler nearly as big as his 14” tinny that we tail roped, unshackled from the drum and barely managed to drag the mile odd back to the beach the fishing boats launched from.

We ran the tinny up the beach but Tarzan couldn’t have pulled this thing up the beach so we used the winch from the boathouse that was used to pull fishing boats out of the water to drag it up. It was a bloody monster out of the water and close up, about as round as a 44gal drum. It’s tail was about 4’ or more from tip to tip and it was still alive.

This is about were most of you will switch off but I have no reason to lie. Murray wasn’t a small man and the 3 or 4lb axe wasn’t the sharpest but two forceful blows like you’d swing to split wood Did Not break the skin. The third blow did a little and the fourth actually buried the blade to some extent. The tip of a fillet knife would not penetrate the skin and when held at the sharks flank and hit with the palm of the other hand in an attempt to drive it in, flexed the blade and threatened to break it.

Interesting story. Must have been something to behold.
Bloke wrote:

Not at all. Well, I can only speak for myself and I for one wont accuse you of lying. Ive worked with (legal) ray leather for inserts in some of the sheaths, Ive made and the look on my face, when making the first cut in ray leather with a brand spanking new and sharp blade must have been comical. Knives just slides right through ordinary cow hide but with ray, you have to work at it. If shark is anything like that, I dont doubt your description at all. From what I understand, shark hide/skin is very tough indeed. Gator as well.
Food for thought re using a knife on a sharks flank.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

SpyderScout wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:27 am
Interesting story. Must have been something to behold.
Yes, it certainly was and unnecessary too. :o

I should add that big sharks like that are not fit for human consumption and I’m fairly sure it’s because of the Mercury content.

Anyhow, I was iffy at the time though I’m sure my mate knew this but it didn’t stop him cleverly taking fillets that looked like they came from smaller fish and making a pretty good earn for the morning. :rolleyes:
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

A bang stick or a powerhead will definitely save your life. Usually a spear is all you need to make a nosey shark leave you alone. If you stab them in the face a time or 2, it's rare that they get mad and keep messing with you. You're not their typical meal to begin with.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
awa54

Post by awa54 »

I think this thread is gonna need a bigger boat ;)
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
setldown

Post by setldown »

:D :D :D
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

When magnified it turns out shark skin, denticles, are made of rows of interlocked microscopic plates.

Look at these images made with electron microscopes:

https://ocean.si.edu/ocean-life/sharks- ... -denticles

https://news.nationalgeographic.com/201 ... tname=none

The engineers and scientists want to make manmade materials that mimic them for better applications.

Alright, so here is my next question: Except for the WASP knife, what would an "Anti Shark Knife" look like ? Some type of blade that can penetrate those scales.
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

Except the belly of a shark which isn't as tough, any good strong pointed blade with no flex and some good force will penetrate the skin of a shark.

I know normal fillet knives aren't that good on the skin.

Once you have penetrated it, cutting it with a sharp knife isn't that hard.

Re anti shark device, apart from penetrating the skin, it's also got to get to a vital organ - heart, liver and even liver might not stop it.

Just my HO
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

Another Shark attack here in Aus

They head butted each other then shark latched onto his arm so he punched it!

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/i-s ... 50axv.html
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.
SpyderScout

Post by SpyderScout »

MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Although most of us who worked on deck in the Navy carried knives we all considered us to be SOOL if we went overboard in shark waters.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
VA.koi guy

Post by VA.koi guy »

This thread is the unfortunate result of Shark Week! LoL
I had 1000+ hours on SCUBA, many shark dives included. As an underwater videographer, I always felt lucky just to see sharks. Never used my dive knife for defense, carried a VG 10 Endura many dives.SE for those interested, cut alot of plastic and lines( rope).
Most attacks, the prey item never sees the appex predator! Facing down an overly interested shark, with blows to the head has been well documented, as best recourse. Thanks for the laughs here, but let's appreciate these amazing creatures by respecting the oceans. Like any great beast, we are fortunate to just see one in person.
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

Sharks are a type of fish.
Humans "hunt" fish and sometimes the opposite is true too.

Thus, if I had to carry one Spyderco model able to kill, defend from, hunt, scare, deter or attack a fish, especially a big one, I'd take a big Spyderco with me, the aptly named "Fish Hunter" :p

stab, and cut open the side(s) of the beast

or aim for a lucky strike at the eyes, nose or head
(not my pics)
SpyderScout

Post by SpyderScout »

VA.koi guy wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:13 am
This thread is the unfortunate result of Shark Week! LoL
I had 1000+ hours on SCUBA, many shark dives included. As an underwater videographer, I always felt lucky just to see sharks. Never used my dive knife for defense, carried a VG 10 Endura many dives.SE for those interested, cut alot of plastic and lines( rope).
Most attacks, the prey item never sees the appex predator! Facing down an overly interested shark, with blows to the head has been well documented, as best recourse. Thanks for the laughs here, but let's appreciate these amazing creatures by respecting the oceans. Like any great beast, we are fortunate to just see one in person.
I wouldnt know; I dont watch TV.
Personally, I wouldnt feel comfortable trying to punch an attacking shark be it small or big . Ill leave that to you.
Should I be in such an unfortunate situation - and Ill try my best not to be - I believe, Id prefer a bangstick.
CanaBrit

Post by CanaBrit »

This is a rather comical conversation, its almost like asking which handgun you should use to destroy a tank... I mean, you might get a lucky shot. lol.
Up in Canada I'm convinced that if a Grizzly decides to eat you, its going to eat you. So to go into the water with a shark, if it takes a liking to you you're pretty defenseless. Your only real hope is that it doesn't like the taste of you.