Help with problem with pivot on Positron

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
lonerider1013

Help with problem with pivot on Positron

Post by lonerider1013 »

Anybody help with this? So the positron was a bit stiff. I tried loosening the pivot screws slightly. Now centering isn't perfect. But not off much. Thats not the prob. The problem is 2 part. one, the screw on the side with the spyder logo won't turn at all, and two, the other one turns, but i turned it back where it was and the flipper is still stiff.
Is the spyderlogo side screw not supposed to turn? (it's real, i got it at a good shop not online). Or just stuck? Maybe with locktite? And, any clue how to loosen the action so it flips? I have to flick the whole knife with my wrist, the flipper seems unable to overcome the side pressure of the linerlock, just with the thumb on the flip tab, and sometimes it is much harder than others. Maybe some oil?
Any advice appreciated.
BTW knife cuts cool! I used it in the yard today to cut an annoying branch off a tree that hung down low. It was only as thick as my little finger but considering how slim the knife is it did pretty good.
Thanks.
Lonerider
"A fool's blade may be sharper than his brain"
“Learn to ride a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live." - Mark Twain
Sharp Guy

Re: Help with problem with pivot on Positron

Post by Sharp Guy »

It's been a while since I've had my Positron apart but it should be the show (logo) side screw that turns. The clip side is the actual pivot and does not turn. It's D-shaped and goes through D-shaped hole in the liner to keep it from turning.

Not sure what to tell you about the stiff action. Mine flips pretty good considering but it could be a little smoother. It's not because the bearings aren't smooth. It's because the lock bar is fairly stiff and it puts a lot of pressure on the side of the blade. I can hold the lock bar open as far as possible and the blade moves freely. When I let go of the lock bar and move the blade back and forth it's not nearly as smooth due to the pressure being applied. I may try to fix that one of these days but mine flips fine so I'm not too worried about it.

I noticed you said you were trying to flip the blade out using your thumb. I can only do that with flippers that have a really strong detent. Even then I find that it feels too akward. Have you tried using your index finger and a quick light switch motion? Works great for me. No wrist needed.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
lonerider1013

Post by lonerider1013 »

Thanks. My mistake, index finger, not thumb.
BTW playing with it for a while it's getting smoother. And boy you were right... the screw that didn't turn was onthe other side. There IS a logo there but not the spyder logo. Shoot, my mistake.
"A fool's blade may be sharper than his brain"
“Learn to ride a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live." - Mark Twain
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

lonerider1013 wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:34 pm
BTW playing with it for a while it's getting smoother. And boy you were right... the screw that didn't turn was onthe other side. There IS a logo there but not the spyder logo. Shoot, my mistake.
No problemo! The logo on the clip side would be Brad Southard's (the designer) makers mark. Despite all the negative reviews I really like my Positron. It's one of the only knives I own that I didn't like how the long wire clip felt in hand. I got past that by installing a short Dragonfly clip. It feels great now. There's a lot to like about the design. I like the contoured handle, the blade shape is good, and I like that it has a slightly negative blade angle.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Sjucaveman

Post by Sjucaveman »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:47 pm
lonerider1013 wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:34 pm
No problemo! The logo on the clip side would be Brad Southard's (the designer) makers mark. Despite all the negative reviews I really like my Positron. It's one of the only knives I own that I didn't like how the long wire clip felt in hand. I got past that by installing a short Dragonfly clip. It feels great now. There's a lot to like about the design. I like the contoured handle, the blade shape is good, and I like that it has a slightly negative blade angle.
The stone wash on the CF version is great too.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Adam
colin.p

Post by colin.p »

Great thread. I just want to be certain, is the adjusting screw on the show side or the clip side? The reason I ask (unfortunately my memory is getting a little spotty) is I seem to recall from another source, that it was the clip side that turns, hence my re-asking to make sure I don't muck it up.

Yes, I absolutely adore my Positron, right up there with my Nakamura. Especially after I did my "access to the lockbar" mod.