Do you care about deep carry?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Do you care about deep carry pocket clips?

Yes, because I want to try to hide my knives from view
30%
Yes, because I find them more comfortable in the pocket with deep carry clips
17%
No, I don't care if it's 1/8" or 1" sticking out of my pocket
37%
Other (explain in post)
16%

Total votes: 127

wrdwrght

Re: Do you care about deep carry?

Post by wrdwrght »

I don’t ordinarily care, but my knives do dive deep when I’m in the likes of Boston or Toronto. These diving knives are helped by being smaller than my typical carry. Chap to Boston, Urban to Toronto.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
timlara

Post by timlara »

I chose "other" as I really don't care with regard to how much of the knife sticks out of the pocket, but I do care about the ergonomics, such as the placement of the clip and how high the clip protrudes from the knife scale, both of which can make a big difference in how comfortable the knife is to grip.

What bothers me more than deep/shallow carry is when the placement of the lanyard hole seems to have affected the decision of where to attach the clip, which can cause problems both aesthetically and functionally. I don't personally ever use lanyards, so I much prefer when the lanyard hole is either part of the clip, or better yet, if it is integrated into the back spacer / standoff so that it doesn't really affect the handle surface of the knife at all.
Tim
kodai78
Location: “Beam me up Scotty, there’s no intelligent life down here.”

Post by kodai78 »

I don’t carry a big folder PM2, Millie, Manix when traveling and in my state the larger knives are legal carry. I prefer a deep carry clip to stock on my PM2 because it’s more comfortable when using the knife. Mostly I don’t care. I carry the larger knives right rear pocket because then I don’t catch the clips, wire, spoon deep or shallow on stuff. Not worried about concealment but I don’t need a knife at work. I’m a nurse and I use bandage scissors. Kept sharp on the Sharpmaker!
:spyder: Shaman REX 45, Smock, Baby Jess Horn CE, Spydiechef, Schempp Bowie,Ti Fluted Military, Titanium Military, Native S30 V and G10, PM 2 in S35VN, and S110V, Manix 2 LW BD1 and SPY 27, Sage 5, Positron black CPM S30V, Chaparral w/Raffir Noble scales, SuperLeaf VG 10, Ladybug H1, Dragonfly 2 in ZDP 189 and Superblue/420J1 and H1, Delica in ZDP 189, Clipitool Standard, the Cook’s knife VG10, Santoku, paring and utility knives, all in MBS 26. :spyder:
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Deep carry for comfort
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
dsvirsky

Post by dsvirsky »

Don't care. Weapons are concealed, knives are not. My collection includes some very nice traditional folders for when I'm dressed up.
BIGSTRETCH

Post by BIGSTRETCH »

I greatly prefer deep carry as long as it doesn't hurt handle ergos. I don't like to advertise that there is anything of great value on me.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

I voted No.

If I’m worried about people seeing my knife I wrap it in a football sock and put the lot down the front in my undies. ;)

This works very well at concealing the knife and if I’m wearing tight jeans, girls often ask me out on a date. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Lee48

Post by Lee48 »

New guy here. Actually, I've been around for years but never registered.

Anyway...I personally don't like deep carry clips. I like a good sized chunk of the knife peeking out of my pocket so I can get a good grip on it when I want to take it out. When the knife is deep inside my pocket, I end up having to push up on the clip to get it up high enough to get a hold on it and that's sometimes a PITA especially when carrying a Spyderco with the wire clip. They have a tendency to flex.

One other issue: my state just recently legalized owning, possessing and carrying automatic knives and I've taken advantage of this by buying several autos. The only fly in the ointment is that the new legislation makes it illegal to carry an auto knife concealed. Now that's kind of a trick when you consider folding knives are designed to be carried in your pocket to begin with and I don't believe our esteemed legislators took it into consideration. Or the fact that people wear coats in the winter, rain gear when it rains and some people like their shirttails untucked. I don't want to be on the wrong side of the law but it could inadvertently happen when so many knives are now designed with clips meant for deep concealment.
Baron Mind

Post by Baron Mind »

I mainly care about in hand ergonomics.
sonoma

Post by sonoma »

Other.I carry a lot of stuff in my front pockets and deep carry just adds to the bulk.It is easier for me to remove items from my pocket if I am not deep carrying.
anycal

Post by anycal »

I work in an office/shop, but it is casual - jeans. Out of about 100, there are 5 of us who have a knife clipped in pocket. So it is not very common.

For work, I use deep carry - UKPK, Caly 3, Mantra. I realize that I am not disguising a knife from someone who knows. That's not the point. The point is discretion. One brings lot less attention to the pocket than the other. And sometimes, I just can't be without a PM2.

Last edited by anycal on Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peter
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

Bloke wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:41 pm
I voted No.

If I’m worried about people seeing my knife I wrap it in a football sock and put the lot down the front in my undies. ;)

This works very well at concealing the knife and if I’m wearing tight jeans, girls often ask me out on a date. :)
I find when I wear my pink Ruggers in this configuration guys ask me out.
brainfriction

Post by brainfriction »

Deep carry for me. Knives are just tools, but some folks think otherwise so I'd rather be discrete about carrying my edc knives in public.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

This about sums up what i think! I prefer discretion and can't stand polished/shiny clips. I'm not a blingy person. I won't buy a truck with chrome accents/wheels/grills. Just not my thing.
Mxlohxfh.jpg
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Honestly...Para 3 for example, why wouldn't you prefer the deep carry on the left to the stock clip on the right? Other than spending more money. Still easily accessible and pulls out of the pocket no problem.

I'm not trying to start an argument, just curious as to why individuals would prefer the shallow carry with the polished clip over the stonewashed/titanium colored clips.
flxymzPh.jpg
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
kvdo

Post by kvdo »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:09 pm
Honestly...Para 3 for example, why wouldn't you prefer the deep carry on the left to the stock clip on the right? Other than spending more money. Still easily accessible and pulls out of the pocket no problem.

I'm not trying to start an argument, just curious as to why individuals would prefer the shallow carry with the polished clip over the stonewashed/titanium colored clips.
I think most people would go deep carry any day. The real question is whether or not they're willing to accept the compromise that deep carry may result in, depending on the knife. More difficult to extract from the pocket, changed in-hand feel, etc.

It seems like those who dislike deep carry feel that way because another aspect of the knife's usage is diminished. It's all about what balance of attributes are best suited for an individual's needs.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

I voted "Don't care".

There are pros and cons to each side. I prefer having at least some knife sticking out of my pocket. At work I often wear gloves (including welding gloves) and having that little bit of extra knife to grab hold of helps. Not much, but some.

Where I live, I could walk into public buildings/areas with a 12" Kabar on my belt and nobody would bat an eye, let alone freak out, so hiding a knife is not a concern for me.

As far as the clip finish, yes I very much prefer a subdued stonewash type finish to the shiny polished clip. However it's not a big deal to me, and most of my clips get worn down soon enough anyway.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
vivi

Post by vivi »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:09 pm
I find drawing a deep carry knife is more difficult than I'd like carrying IWB. RFP, not as big of a deal, but it's very rare I carry a folder there. Side pocket or IWB for me.
:unicorn
Mattysc42

Post by Mattysc42 »

I don’t like pocket clips, so either way works.
BRING ON THE MANIX XL SPRINTS AND EXCLUSIVES! And 10v or K390ify the Golden lineup, please.

Top 5 folders I’ve owned: Serrated Caribbean Leaf, Shaman, Manix XL, ZDP-189/CF Caly 3.5, Native LW.
Top 5 steels I’ve owned: LC200N, K390, CPM S90V, M390, CPM REX45.
Top 3 steels I want more of: M390 class, A11 class (including K390), CPM REX45.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Bloke wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:41 pm

I bet Mrs. Bloke loves that! :D
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!