Californian cancer warning

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TomAiello

Re: Californian cancer warning

Post by TomAiello »

anycal wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:39 am
There is a price to pay to live here, and I am willing to pay it. And so are millions of people who, for the most part, get along just fine.
Don't overlook the millions of us who grew up there and decided that it wasn't worth the steep price to stay.

The costs of relocating our entire lives to other places, most of which have much less hospitable climates, was quite substantial. The price of staying in California was yet higher still.

"California Losing Residents Via Domestic Migration. For many years, more people have been leaving California for other states than have been moving here. ... On net, the state lost 1 million residents to domestic migration—about 2.5 percent of its total population."

Source: State of California (Legislative Analysts Office): https://lao.ca.gov/laoecontax/article/detail/265

anycal wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:39 am
Our egalitarian politics aside...
The linked article is interesting. It paints a reasonably detailed picture of a California that is gaining wealthy, highly educated, older people, and excluding younger, less educated and poorer people. The actual demography doesn't really fit in with the image that most Californians have of their state. In the real world, the "huddled masses" are being pushed out of California at an alarming rate.

"Families with kids and those with only a high school education predominate among those moving from California to its top destination states" (same source)

Californians (and former Californians, as well as new comers) are demonstrating by their choices that California is increasing a home for the wealthy and privileged, and increasingly excludes the poor, young families, and the less educated.
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

I blame the Chinese. Ever since the Chinese put melamine in dog food, people seem to want to know what’s actually in the products they buy. Some people are funny that way.
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:41 am
California is just a prime example of way tooooooo!!!

The only good thing I've seen come from California is their organic food laws.
Car exhaust is another. Been behind a running 1970’s era car recently? Holy smokes! New cars are amazingly clean.

Most people in CA are too busy trying make rent or enjoy the sun or take over the world. Who has time for all the little things. We will let government actually do something and fix our little problems, which leaves more time for a third job or more sun.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I moved to CA from WI, and can say that anyone generalizing the state as a whole is seriously mistaken. It is quite diverse. I still don't lock my doors at night. Believe me, that wasn't happening in the big city that I grew up in. Yes, it is very expensive, yes there are too many/too ridiculous laws, but yes, it is beautiful.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

I ate my sharpmaker. Whom should I contact? Whooooooooommmmmmmmmmm?!
lonerider1013

Post by lonerider1013 »

A lot of things come with that "cancer warning". California law requires it even on things that won't give you cancer, so you should be fine.
California gave us a lot of cool things (the Eagles, for one!) but truth be told, if I see any warning label related to California I just ignore it, they have so many it's like crying wolf.

Lonerider
"A fool's blade may be sharper than his brain"
“Learn to ride a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live." - Mark Twain
BIGSTRETCH

Post by BIGSTRETCH »

You should use this or any other "dry" sharpener in a well ventilated area. You'll probably be fine as long as you don't hover over the thing while using it indoors, but the sharpmaker rods can also be used wet. Cliff Stamp talks about using the diamond and CBN rods sprayed with water + rust inhibitor on his youtube channel. I'd like to know what the inhibitor was as they can and will rust if water sits on them.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Why would the young and educated move to California? Why would cutting edge companies, universities and innovative high tech attract educated and smart people? Who really needs diversity, an amazing range of life choices, beaches, mountains and superb food? Why would the uneducated and disgruntled move to South Dakota?

Asking for a friend.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
husq2100

Post by husq2100 »

funny to see people having a crack at californina, when there would be PLENTY of people that would sue if they were not informed! Same I have seen people not support health care then ask for help/go fund me etc when they or a loved one gets ill and no cover.

Cake is nice but you cant have it and eat it too.....
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

You have to admit that putting a cancer warning on a sharpmaker is absurd.

The notion that Spyderco would be sued after someone got cancer (“I rue the day I sharpened that Delica!!! I’ll get you for this, Spyderco!!!) is equally absurd.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

It's only absurd until it happens.

Coffee at McDonald's, anyone?
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

That was a completely different scenario.
Accutron

Post by Accutron »

California compliant Sharpmaker...

SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Like one of the earlier posters said, don't eat your Sharp Maker or your Spyderco knife blades.

I read a web site about metal toxicity and they claimed that metals such as molybdenum can have negative effects on people who suffer from such conditions as epilepsy. But does this mean if minute amounts are consumed in various foods and other materials, or, if it has contact with the skin? I do not know.
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

I wish this "Exodus from California" would take more people out of Los Angeles so our housing prices would come down from "completely unaffordable" to something more like "mostly unaffordable." :rolleyes:

But yeah, the state goes a little overboard on their "known to cause cancer" labels.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:05 am
But please let’s fill this thread with everything folks don’t like about the Golden State, instead of talking about knives...

There are lots of wonderful things in Cali. Laws just aren't any of those things.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Like sushi. Mmmmmmm… sushi.

Mikuni’s anyone?
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

Team Innovation
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

“Preparation 65” seems like everything causes cancer in California. There is no problem so great that government can’t make it worse.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

MichaelScott wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:51 pm
Like sushi. Mmmmmmm… sushi.

Mikuni’s anyone?
I've tried but I just can't get into it. I can get down on some stir fry though.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Yep, stir fry is good, but sushi, mmmmmmm…

Team Innovation