Californian cancer warning

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
mpcgimli

Californian cancer warning

Post by mpcgimli »

I just bought and received a Sharpmaker. and it has a sticker on it that says :"WARNING, cancer and reproductive harm " , with a link to a california government website. I would appreciate if someone could tell me which parts of the sharpmaker are supposedly harmful and why.
Thanks in advance.
Jazz

Re: Californian cancer warning

Post by Jazz »

Isn’t everything harmful in California? What a freaky state.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

When using your sharpmaker in the nude and the knife gets away from you it can cause reproductive harm.
As for cancer... the kids are smoking out of sharpmakers and the name makes it ironic.

In all seriousness i would hazard a guess that dry filings are the issue I suppose...
mpcgimli

Post by mpcgimli »

Jazz wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:53 am
Isn’t everything harmful in California? What a freaky state.
Except Aids.
I am not really that concerned, already sharpened my Endura on it. Just curious about what the ca.gov. could have found in there.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Have no idea why the Sharpmaker has that sticker, but I do know that California requires them on darn near every product sold there. Manufacturers have two choices, they can either add the warning label or stop selling their goods in California. In the case of the Sharpmaker, could be some hydrocarbon in the plastic base or clam pack, minute traces of lead or some other "dangerous" metal in the guard rods, or even something in the ink on the printed matter. May even be none of the above, manufacturers are adding that label to some products just to avoid the risk CA will start considering something in them harmful.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Accutron

Post by Accutron »

Don't eat your Sharpmaker.
archangel

Post by archangel »

“It seemed to me,' said Wonko the Sane, 'that any civilization that had so far lost its head as to need to include a set of detailed instructions for use in a package of toothpicks, was no longer a civilization in which I could live and stay sane.”

― Douglas Adams, So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
sal

Post by sal »

It's ok to eat the Sharpmaker, just don'e eat the guards.

sal
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

The Sharpmaker requires common sense to use it. Common sense has been known to cause cancer in the state of California.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

Out here we have cancer warnings on everything (the most head-scratching one are laundry rooms - are we not supposed to wash our clothes?). I have no idea why that is.
dreadpirate

Post by dreadpirate »

Accutron wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:18 am
Don't eat your Sharpmaker.
Good advice! :D
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

I already have cancer, so I really don’t care.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

The same warning is on the gates at Disneyland. "Warning the Disneyland Resort contains chemicals known to the state of California to cause cancer and/or reproductive harm." I have a photo I took of it.

Honestly, I think they should just put up big signs at the border "Warning, the State of California contains chemicals known to cause cancer and/or reproductive harm."

California has, in many ways, lost it's collective mind. I was born and raised there, and every time I visit (at least two weeks every year, when I take my kids to visit my parents) I shake my head at the inane new rules they seem to be constantly coming up with.
this_is_nascar

Post by this_is_nascar »

Try to find a new TV that doesn't have that warning. It's California, so that should tell you all you need to know.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Cue the California bashing. :rolleyes: The Sharpmaker likely has trace lead (Pb) in it, in the guards or whatever. Every Spyderco sold on Amazon for a long time had the child warning on them for small items that could be swallowed, started from someone noticing the small white CBL balls. Not sure if that’s still the case (been a long time since I bought a Spyderco on Amazon). But please let’s fill this thread with everything folks don’t like about the Golden State, instead of talking about knives...
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Spydersense

Post by Spydersense »

:spyder:
Time for another :spyder:!

-Matt
Brown_Recluse

Post by Brown_Recluse »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:05 am
Cue the California bashing. :rolleyes: The Sharpmaker likely has trace lead (Pb) in it, in the guards or whatever. Every Spyderco sold on Amazon for a long time had the child warning on them for small items that could be swallowed, started from someone noticing the small white CBL balls. Not sure if that’s still the case (been a long time since I bought a Spyderco on Amazon). But please let’s fill this thread with everything folks don’t like about the Golden State, instead of talking about knives...
Someone is having a salty Saturday.
CPM S90V
Maxamet
CPM-M4
M390
CPM 20CV
Lc200N
CPM-S45VN
Spydersense

Post by Spydersense »

sal wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:28 am
It's ok to eat the Sharpmaker, just don'e eat the guards.

sal
Well there goes my pre-lunch snack. 😁
Time for another :spyder:!

-Matt
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

California is just a prime example of way tooooooo!!! Much Government intervention. And I love California and I've spent time out there in the San Diego area as well as L.A. But I would never live there because of totally deranged idiocy like this :( . California is also the result of letting government try to cure every problem. Common sense would replace most of what the California government has literally gone overboard with IMO.

The only good thing I've seen come from California is their organic food laws. They really make food producers prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that the item is indeed "organic". Whereas most states really look in the other direction when in reality many of the food items your grocer has labeled "organic" literally came from the same source as the regular food items did. But other than that they have become the most totalitarian state in the USA IMO.
anycal

Post by anycal »

Dipshiits come in all colors and political flavors. Stop hating. We are all stuck on this rock for a short period of time, hurling at a mind boggling speed through the vastness of the universe. Everything can be over in a blink of an eye. Life is too short to hate.

I grew up in Europe, but spent most of my life in CA. My job takes me nationally and globally. I haven't found a place yet I'd rather be.

Our egalitarian politics aside, CA is beautiful and diverse. We have a great economy. Vast agriculture, tech innovation, top universities. There is a price to pay to live here, and I am willing to pay it. And so are millions of people who, for the most part, get along just fine. Even with the labeling laws...
Peter