Missing 411: Really Strange

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
JD Spydo

Missing 411: Really Strange

Post by JD Spydo »

Well since I've been on the mend from a surgery I had about 4 months ago I've been surfing the web and listening to radio shows a lot more than usual recently. One guy I've heard on 4 different talk shows is a former detective from the San Francisco PD ( California USA) named David Paulides. He has retired from police work but has taken on a project that is so weird that It's literally got me baffled beyond anything I've encountered in years. His book entitled "Missiing 411" is all about people throughout the USA ( and other parts of the globe) that turn up missing mysteriously in many of these National Parks. And it is only very few of them they ever find.

The first time I heard him all the way back about 4 years ago I just kind of blew it off. But more recently he has documented literally dozens of people ( young & old) who have very mysteriously disappeared in all of the USA National Parks. To hear him on these radio shows with all of the just down right weird disappearances that are going on in these national parks with little or no evidence is just strange beyond anything i can remember. Take Yosemite National Park for instance in California USA>> they have dozens of people that have come up missing just in the past decade alone and it seems like the Parks and the Federal authorities are doing virtually nothing about it :confused:

I encourage all of you to at least check out his webpage and you can get it just by "Googling" the term "Missing 411, David Paulides. I do plan on buying his book and I've heard he now has about 3 to 4 books on this subject of these extremely weird disappearances in these National Parks. If any of you are planning a vacation to any of these national parks it's something you must be aware of. Because it seems like if you come up missing in one of these places there is very little they will do to try to find you. It gives me the creeps because I just love walking in the woods and other wild places. But I'm sure never going to do it alone anymore after learning about what this guy has discovered. Check it out folks>> This Ain't No Conspiracy stuff because he has it all documented. And his credentials are very good and his reputation as a police officer is well respected.
The Deacon

Re: Missing 411: Really Strange

Post by The Deacon »

In 2017 alone over 300 million people visited our National Parks. I think it's safe to say that not all of them are experienced outdoorsmen and women. Many of these parks contain hundreds, sometimes thousands, of square miles of wilderness. Much of that is rugged terrain where it's easy to get lost or injured and die, and there's no guarantee your remains will ever be found.

I don't find it the least bit "weird" when 400 or so have gone missing over the course of several years and were never found. That's barely over one ten thousandth of one percent of one years visitors. I suspect many of them have violated one or more common sense rules, gone off alone, not told anyone where they were planning to hike, not dressed for the terrain or the weather, etc.

On the other hand, I can see such disappearances being tempting fodder for a cryptozoologist and Bigfoot investigator like Mr. Paulides. :rolleyes:
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

The Deacon wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:20 pm
In 2017 alone over 300 million people visited our National Parks. I think it's safe to say that not all of them are experienced outdoorsmen and women. Many of these parks contain hundreds, sometimes thousands, of square miles of wilderness. Much of that is rugged terrain where it's easy to get lost or injured and die, and there's no guarantee your remains will ever be found.

I don't find it the least bit "weird" when 400 or so have gone missing over the course of several years and were never found. That's barely over one ten thousandth of one percent of one years visitors. I suspect many of them have violated one or more common sense rules, gone off alone, not told anyone where they were planning to hike, not dressed for the terrain or the weather, etc.

On the other hand, I can see such disappearances being tempting fodder for a cryptozoologist and Bigfoot investigator like Mr. Paulides. :rolleyes:
First of all I think your condescending remarks about David Paulides are totally unfounded and baseless. Now you are correct to say that he has a side interest in the alledged sightings of Bigfoot creatures that have been reported in several of these national parks>> but he is far from someone who has no evidence to base his suspicions. But before you make a predisposed judgement against Mr. Paulides we need to take a hard look at his resume> > and his resume is very impressive. He was a highly respected and highly decorated Police Detective in San Franciso California. No the guy is a little above a "door greeter at WalMart" or a guy who fills potholes for some municipal street maintenance department.. No this guy has an impeccable reputation, and his highly educated not only as a former police officer but he is just a really reputable, decent guy all the way around. Believe me I've checked this guy out and he's not your average Bigfoot/Alien believer in the least.

OK with established I think we need to take a look at the hard evidence that he has worked very hard to discover about many of these mysterious disappearing or lost people. First off have you heard at least one of his interviews? Or have you read any of his books or at least one of his blog sites? If not then I think you are doing yourself a disservice but lumping this guy in a bad light when you haven't even given the guy a fair evaluation. I have heard about 6 of his interviews on this subject of National Park missing people from about 4 different radio hosts and he is concise and very detailed in his descriptions and his investigative work. He has done about as thorough of a job investigating these extremely strange disappearances. And he has had very little help (if any at all) from the Federal or National Park authorities. One type of disappearance that stands out are some of the small children vanishing into thin air so to speak. There were 3 couples who were walking with their kids on Nature Trails and all of a sudden the kids literally disappear with no noise, warning or even any sign of a kidnapping or abduction>> no footprints were found and dogs couldn't even pick up their scent. They have found 2 of these children that were abducted and they found them very high up on mountain sides with absolutely no evidence as to how they got there>> and they said that these kids could not have possibly climbed up to where they found them.

Paul I mean this a very friendly, pleasant and diplomatic way. Check out at least 2 of his Youtube videos and go to your library and read at least 2 to 3 chapters in one of his books. Believe me, this is completely different than any "Missing Person's" case that I've ever read about or ever heard about. There are so many circumstances in these cases that have little or no explanation at all. Most of his videos are entitled "Missing 411", David Paulides. Check it out and be objective about it and let me know what you think :)
Sjucaveman

Post by Sjucaveman »

I'm with Paul. People getting lost, mauled, or for any number of reasons never making it out of large expanses of wilderness are not surprising.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Adam
SpyderScout

Post by SpyderScout »

JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

SpyderScout wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:45 am
Well I never intended for this to become a "BIGFOOT" discussion but being that some folks want to rub fecal matter in my face I actually do have something valid to say about that subject. First of all there are now two well recognized scientists who both have very tangible proof and physical evidence that those creatures do indeed exist. There is a Dr. Jeff Meldrum who has studied many footprints, hair samples and even two incidents of tissue samples.

There is also a lady who is a Phd Geneticist named Dr. Melba Ketchum who has successfully done 100% accurate DNA Sequencing on over 20 different hair samples that have been submitted to her. All of her peers as well as people who work with Dr. Meldrum won't even so much as look at the scientific evidence that these two very well known and very credible scientists have brought forth. Dr. Melba Ketchum from Texas also did DNA sequencing of that canine type creature that they found in texas a few years back and that very carcass of that beast is privately owned by a Rancher in that area and has been shown to many researchers.

So before you all make me out to be some type of crackpot that is eligible to be under lock & key at a psychiatric hospital I'm just simply asking you all to at least take an objective look at the evidence. Be honest and open minded if that's possible. And at least check out a couple of the interviews that David Paulides has done in the past two years.

Like I said in my opening statement the very first time I heard the guy I blew him off. But when I stayed up one night and listened to his testimony for 3 straight hours it really got my attention>> because this guy raises questions that deserve valid answers. But at least listen to what the guy has to say or at least read a few chapters out of one of his books before you go maligning the guy. And the fact that we have as many missing people ( especially children) and the National Park authorities have done virtually nothing about it is by itself pretty disgusting and very puzzling. And the people that they have found most of them have no memory of what happened to them>> and there have been several of these people who have no memory of what took place. I can see this was a mistake to even bring it up because I thought there would be some of you who would like to objectively discuss it. Because most people in this country I'm ashamed to say are brainwashed by the mainstream news media to where they don't ask any objective questions anymore>> they just let these phony multi-million dollar a year news anchors do all their thinking for them. Sad times :(
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

JD, with all due respect, Mr. Paulides may not be "your average Bigfoot/Alien believer", but he still believes in them. I do not believe in either mythical creatures or aliens visiting our planet, just as I don't believe in the paranormal, psychics, or creation science. To me they are all delusional beliefs that, while they may be sincerely held, make anything a proponent of them says suspect.

To me, it's more reasonable to say that people go missing for a number of reasons, that most of them are found either dead (like the lady found the other day in Great Smoky Mountains National Park) or alive, and that the few who are never found went missing for rational reasons. I suspect that the majority were the victims of accidents, a few were the victims of murderers, that some of the children were kidnapped while one or more may have been killed by their own caregiver, that a few were suicides who did not want their bodies found, and a few went missing intentionally and are living somewhere under new identities.
Paul
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

I’m with Deacon. Occam’s razor dictates that the simple plausible explanation is the one that needs to be investigated.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I don't want to get into the believer/non-believer debate, because I think people who already have their mind made up about something will find reasons to support their belief, and dismiss evidence that may contradict that belief. It's hard to convince people to believe or accept something they don't believe or accept, regardless of the topic. I will say that I read one of the 411 books that I picked up at the library on a whim. My conclusion is that unless the author is twisting facts or outright lying, there is a documented record of disappearances, with unusual yet similar cirumstances, that strongly implies something more than coincidence or random odds. If anyone is already sure that the author is not credible, of course there is no point in reading one of his books. If not though, I would say it might be worth it to check one out, at least as food for thought.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

JD Spydo wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:11 am
SpyderScout wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:45 am
Well I never intended for this to become a "BIGFOOT" discussion but being that some folks want to rub fecal matter in my face I actually do have something valid to say about that subject. First of all there are now two well recognized scientists who both have very tangible proof and physical evidence that those creatures do indeed exist. There is a Dr. Jeff Meldrum who has studied many footprints, hair samples and even two incidents of tissue samples.

There is also a lady who is a Phd Geneticist named Dr. Melba Ketchum who has successfully done 100% accurate DNA Sequencing on over 20 different hair samples that have been submitted to her. All of her peers as well as people who work with Dr. Meldrum won't even so much as look at the scientific evidence that these two very well known and very credible scientists have brought forth. Dr. Melba Ketchum from Texas also did DNA sequencing of that canine type creature that they found in texas a few years back and that very carcass of that beast is privately owned by a Rancher in that area and has been shown to many researchers.

So before you all make me out to be some type of crackpot that is eligible to be under lock & key at a psychiatric hospital I'm just simply asking you all to at least take an objective look at the evidence. Be honest and open minded if that's possible. And at least check out a couple of the interviews that David Paulides has done in the past two years.

Like I said in my opening statement the very first time I heard the guy I blew him off. But when I stayed up one night and listened to his testimony for 3 straight hours it really got my attention>> because this guy raises questions that deserve valid answers. But at least listen to what the guy has to say or at least read a few chapters out of one of his books before you go maligning the guy. And the fact that we have as many missing people ( especially children) and the National Park authorities have done virtually nothing about it is by itself pretty disgusting and very puzzling. And the people that they have found most of them have no memory of what happened to them>> and there have been several of these people who have no memory of what took place. I can see this was a mistake to even bring it up because I thought there would be some of you who would like to objectively discuss it. Because most people in this country I'm ashamed to say are brainwashed by the mainstream news media to where they don't ask any objective questions anymore>> they just let these phony multi-million dollar a year news anchors do all their thinking for them. Sad times :(
Whether or not Bigfoot exists, the renowned scientist and large ape expert Jane Goodall believes it is likely. If they do exist, sooner or later someone will shoot one or trap one.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Doc Dan wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:17 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:11 am
... they just let these phony multi-million dollar a year news anchors do all their thinking for them. Sad times :(
Jane Goodall believes it is likely.
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Bloke, you know, the truth is out there.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

OK I'm back :) Yesterday I was getting so frustrated with some of the responses on this thread that a good friend of mine who was here visiting told me to take 24 hours to chill out and re-think this whole thing. Well I took my good friend's advice and I must say that I'm thinking with a much calmer head and I've really taken a few things in perspective. First all I should have never started this thread to begin with :rolleyes: Because as it appears only a very small percentage of people here care anything about the truth of this issue at all unfortunately. Because judging by the responses I can safely assume that NONE of you all have even looked at any of his materials at all ( videos, books or interviews). So how can you give an objective opinion on something you know virtually nothing about???

Because for someone who has not heard, read about or listened intently to David Paulides on this subject I can understand the healthy skepticism to a degree because like I said the very first time I heard him I even blew it off. But how can you all say that it is all "bogus" when you haven't even checked it out?? But after watching about 4 of his video/interviews and listening to him speak about several unusual aspects surrounding these cases I'm personally to the point to where I do think there is something extremely strange about all of this. Especially with the lost people that they do find that have absolutely no memory about what happened to them. Come on folks!! The guy is a former detective of a major US City for crying out loud!!

My friend also said to me >> "Joe you've just got to face the facts that the TRUTH is not a popular subject to discuss. He went on to say that only a very small percentage of people even care about the truth at all. Also it does bother me as a GOD-fearing human being that hardly no one gives a hoot about the horrible fate that many of these children have suffered. I can't even imagine what some of these caring parents of these missing kids are going through. GOD help us :(

Oh by the way>> please no more comments unless you at least watch one of his "Missing 411" videos.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

I read a fine investigative book about the Dyatlov Pass incident in 1959 in the Soviet Union (called Dead Mountain) where nine young but experienced hikers died.

I won’t spoil it by saying more, only to say that it’s a book that should satisfy both the sceptical and the more open minded.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Links???!?

#internetfail
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Believing something doesn’t make it true.

All reputable theories and hypotheses must be capable of falsification. Evidence if it exists must be openly available for the scientific community to evaluate and either support or falsify those claims.

As far as I can tell this is not the case here.

Again, anyone is free to believe what they will. But claims of fact have to be supported by evidence that is available for confirmation or falsification by the scientific community not merely one or two individuals.

And appeal to authority in this case to the man’s background as a police officer is essentially irrelevant. Sir Isaac Newton was a believer in alchemy so his authority as one of the greatest physicists and mathematicians of all time is useless in supporting his belief in alchemy.

There is either verifiable evidence to support his claims or there is not. Emphasis on verifiable and on evidence.

JD, this isn’t meant as a personal attack but as an appeal to rationality and the scientific method.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Threads like this are good. They open the door for civilized debate. Not everyone will agree, some will agree, and some will be agnostic. As for the Bigfoot hypothesis, I am an agnostic. As for the missing campers and etc. I would like to be open minded enough to say it is possible. This is because it is a reasonable position. Campers and hikers are vulnerable and make easy targets. Help is far away. The woods can muffle cries for help. It is easy to become disoriented, even for the best and most experienced. A psychopath could easily kidnap and murder someone and it would be next to impossible to find the body or to find evidence of the killer.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

tvenuto wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:45 am
Links???!?

#internetfail
Who me? If so, there’s no point in me linking to Amazon UK for you! The book’s called Dead Mountain ....
If not, my apologies.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

tvenuto wrote:
Links???!?

#internetfail
Amazon has the book: https://www.amazon.com/Dead-Mountain-Un ... 1452140030

With the exception of radiation, everything Amazon describes in their capsule summary could be explained by exposure, accidental or otherwise, to a hallucinogenic or other psychoactive.
Paul
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:12 am
tvenuto wrote:
Links???!?

#internetfail
Who me? If so, there’s no point in me linking to Amazon UK for you! The book’s called Dead Mountain ....
If not, my apologies.
No not you. Obviously a book link doesn’t do much. However if there is an interview or article that sums up the book that would be helpful (these often exist).

Videos and articles are referenced in the initial post but how do I know I’m watching or reading what others watched or read? If you (not you) find something interesting and want to discuss it with others, then link to the relevant material! No surprise that people aren’t looking into it more when it requires extra steps to look into something that they didn’t plan on researching when they logged in.