Maintaining factory edge.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
tps3443

Maintaining factory edge.

Post by tps3443 »

Hey everyone, I’m new to sharpening. And I want to properly maintain my Spyderco 8cr13mov edge if possible. I do not have a SharpMaker yet. I do have two of the easy kind knife sharpeners, you just pull the blade through them and it makes the knife sharp. The knife sharpeners I have, have two sides, one is abrasive and the other is fine. I’m afraid to use them on my knife, but if I just use the weight of the knife on the fine side without applying pressure, would that be enough to maintain the edge without harming the blade?

The sharpener I’m referring to has two ceramic rods in a X configuration with a blue coating on them. It’s very smooth, and it says do NOT apply pressure. Just let the weight of the rest on it, and pull the knife through a few times. I just wanna maintain the factory edge until I’m able to get a sharp maker.
“My daily razor blade”
Microtech Stitch CTS-204P stonewashed blade
Microtech Dirac Delta CTS-204P Black DLC
^Wicked Edge guided system^
Daveho

Re: Maintaining factory edge.

Post by Daveho »

Look into getting yourself a more serious sharpening system be it a bench stone,sharpmaker or some other system-
Personally I prefer lansky over the sharpmaker but that’s just me-
The factory edges on spyderco don’t seem to be all that crash hot but with even a modest system you will be able to put a much better edge on it.
8cr is a breeze to sharpen but to maintain an edge you might consider a strop-
I personally just glue bits of kangaroo tail leather to a board- cost like $6
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

Man DONT use those pull thru sharpners on your spydercos, those things will ruin an edge. I mean, it’s not like you couldn’t restore it, but I say, why mess about in the first place lol.
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

I would advise you to go ahead and get a Sharpmaker. That's what I did shortly after I got my first Spyderco knife. Touching up and maintaining my knives is SO much easier with the Sharpmaker! I know it costs as much as your knives did but it is well worth the investment.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

Beyond brand loyalty, why a sharpmaker over any other?
tps3443

Post by tps3443 »

Luckily I have not used the pull through knife sharpener. I’m afraid of damaging the apex of the blade. Or dulling it. I’ve used them in kitchen knives, and they only seem to sharpen one side of the knife. And they create ugliest looking edge.

I did however use a piece of belt leather on a block of wood with a light abrasive metal polish. I worked backwards at a angle slightly less than what you would sharpen at. I did a few light passes on each side. I can say the knife seems sharper than factory. The apex is even, the edge is sharp.

This Tenacious was sharp in the first place. I’ve only cut 1 piece of paper with it since taking it out of the box.
“My daily razor blade”
tps3443

Post by tps3443 »

Daveho wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:01 pm
I just watched a video on the SM. And it seemed easy for me. I’m open to anything that works properly.
“My daily razor blade”
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

Daveho wrote:
Better quality alumina stones and more options for uses with triangle shape. Also more features
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Daveho wrote:

Because I've never had a stone from Lansky that was flat or straight. They're nowhere near the same quality.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Daveho wrote:

I'm just giving recommendations based on my own experience. I don't know of any other brand of sharpener similar to Spyderco's. I know AG Russell sells a ceramic rod sharpener but it is fixed at only one angle, and it's a round rod so you couldn't do serrations.

I'll call it brand loyalty :)
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
kodai78
Location: “Beam me up Scotty, there’s no intelligent life down here.”

Post by kodai78 »

I find the Sharpmaker easy to use, versatile and effective. It’s also relatively cost effective compared to some. I own an AG Russell sharpener, the angle is different and it really works only on pocket knives. Check out the Sharpmaker videos on YouTube to see how versatile the Sharpmaker is.
:spyder: Shaman REX 45, Smock, Baby Jess Horn CE, Spydiechef, Schempp Bowie,Ti Fluted Military, Titanium Military, Native S30 V and G10, PM 2 in S35VN, and S110V, Manix 2 LW BD1 and SPY 27, Sage 5, Positron black CPM S30V, Chaparral w/Raffir Noble scales, SuperLeaf VG 10, Ladybug H1, Dragonfly 2 in ZDP 189 and Superblue/420J1 and H1, Delica in ZDP 189, Clipitool Standard, the Cook’s knife VG10, Santoku, paring and utility knives, all in MBS 26. :spyder:
DBCOOPER

Post by DBCOOPER »

As somebody who loves the sharpmaker, I'd suggest getting something to be able to rebevel your blade, weather it's sharpmaker with diamond rods or cbn rods, or a lansky system with diamonds (which may be the cheapest) and also these will both give that fresh factory edge look, more so lanskys tho
I came here to cut sh#$ with my knives and chew bubblegum, and I'm all out of bubblegum
DBCOOPER

Post by DBCOOPER »

Also, I'm not an expert but I've gotten way sharper knives using the sharpmaker then the lanskys, just my experience tho, I'd say 50$- shoot for lanskys, 50-100$+ is go sharpmaker with some diamond rods
200$+ edge pro or wicked edge go or kme,
I used to always suck at free handing but if your good at that look into dmt bench stones.
And the issues with lanskys diamond stones not being flat, it is very possible, they aren't very expensive so quality isn't always there,
Also the dmt aligner is similar in price and how lanskys works with actually perfectly flat stones.
I came here to cut sh#$ with my knives and chew bubblegum, and I'm all out of bubblegum
tps3443

Post by tps3443 »

I am not good at free hand sharpening, I’ve taken kitchen knives that are kinda sharp, and spent countless hours dulling them worse than a stick lol. I feel pretty confident stroping with leather working backwards, but that’s about it.

I’m not a fanboy or anything, but I can’t help but be one with how easy the SharpMaker video looks! It removes most of any technique or skill required in sharpening a blade to razor sharp. With that being said, I imagine people have gotten pretty skilled with using a SM. For only $62 bucks at Walmart. I gotta order one..
“My daily razor blade”
tps3443

Post by tps3443 »

I’m new to knives this Spyderco Tenacious is my only knife. I’ve never carried a knife before in my life. I plan to get a Spyderco military S30V G10 as my next knife. I’m gonna have to keep them sharp or I’ll just leave them at home, which defeats the purpose. I can’t count how many times I’ve needed a knife, And I don’t have one. I got tired of that, so that’s why I bought one. Getting a easy knife sharpening device like the SharpMaker just comes with the territory I suppose.
“My daily razor blade”
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

Personally for your circumstances of one knife in 8cr13Mov I wouldn’t worry about diamond stones and all that malarkey-
You will go a long way with just a pasted strop but if you are deadset on a sharpening system then anything suggested here will be suitable,
Even something like the golden stone would be pretty rad
Slash

Post by Slash »

Don't use the knife at all. If used, don't cut cardboard with it. Some of that is really nasty. Get a utility knife for that.

Bottom of coffee cup, top of car window glass, few other things work pretty good. Try those out, you'll see.
hereiamu1

Post by hereiamu1 »

My first reply didn't show up so I'll try again.
A strop and Sharpmaker is all you need. When a blade starts to dull try stropping first, if that doesn't work or doesn't last long go to the Sharpmaker.
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

Slash wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:14 pm
Don't use the knife at all.

Uhhhh.... what?
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

Slash wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:14 pm
Don't use the knife at all. If used, don't cut cardboard with it. Some of that is really nasty. Get a utility knife for that.

Bottom of coffee cup, top of car window glass, few other things work pretty good. Try those out, you'll see.
Haha I did that on my little ambitious for ages!
Very toothy edge off the mug