New Chaparral FRN arrives with issues

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
MichaelScott

New Chaparral FRN arrives with issues

Post by MichaelScott »

My new Chaparral came yesterday. Blade action is very stiff, the lock bar requires way too much pressure to depress and the clip is not seated in the channels, sticking up over their ends. All are fixable, but I should not have to do that. This particular knife was either not checked for QC at by maker, or someone did a poor job of it if it was.

I do not like disassembling knives in the first place, but unless I want to return this one, I will have to. So, I will check on returning it first.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
koenigsegg

Re: New Chaparral FRN arrives with issues

Post by koenigsegg »

Where did you get it from? Have you asked them to exchange it?
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
awa54

Post by awa54 »

that's a bummer! My first Chaparral (CF/G10) had grit in the mechanism as delivered, but was easy enough to clean out without complete disassembly, I just removed the scales and then the internals were exposed enough that the crud flushed out without much fuss. The lock on that knife is still stiff though, the fit on the lockbar is very tight! the flipside is that I certainly don't worry about it developing lock rock :)
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

How much is the wire clip sticking out? Pictures might help here. Wire clips don't lay perfectly flat in those slots in my experience.

The lockbar is stiff by design as far as I can tell. There's a way to move a spring around to make it lighter.

As far as the blade action... is that as simple as loosening the pivot screw? I'm not sure the Chap is intended to be a swing-free blade.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Check your PM's Michael
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

It's a sign you should have never sold your first one! Hopefully everything works out with it, which ever route you take.

As I look at mine, I notice my clip doesn't perfect set either. I haven't felt it snag on my pants though. Can you take a pic of that clip?
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Sjucaveman

Post by Sjucaveman »

My wire clip actually broke the channels it sits in. In my opinion they're just too shallow and not reinforced enough. I love the knife otherwise so it just sits in the bottom of my pocket when I carry it.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Adam
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Thanks for all of your suggestions. I think the clip is resolved by loosening the screw and sliding it into place properly. I’ve also gotten good advice on how to fix the lock bar tension so I will try that.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

Team Innovation
Lebowski22

Post by Lebowski22 »

Both mine and my wife’s frn Chappie had thumb-destroying lock bars upon arrival.

With a good deal of use, they have broken in and are now pretty much perfect.

This knife punches so far above its weight class it’s almsost silly
sal

Post by sal »

If you guys have real problems wit the model, you should let us see them, like the one with the broken channels. the lock release did seem hard to unlock and the edge was sharp, but I thought we softened the edges and we did find that the lock softened as it broke in.

sal
Sjucaveman

Post by Sjucaveman »

It's hard to get in pictures with my phone but you might be able to see in a couple spots where the frn chipped away.

Adam
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Update: issues resolved.

After watching Nick Shabazz’ video on disassembling and maintaining the Chaparral, and getting advice from Sharp Guy on how to adjust the lock bar tension, I took mine apart, cleaned it up, re-lubricated the moving parts, slid the lock bar spring away from its fully seated position by about 1/8”, put everything carefully together, repositioned the clip to fit exactly into the channels, adjusted the pivot screw for easier blade opening without blade play, and, voila, all is fine.

Sal, I would say that my lock bar stock has unchamfered edges, but with the reduced spring pressure that is a non-issue. I would also suggest the lock bar spring be lengthened enough to reduce the pressure.

I am happy to have this newest version of the Chaparral. I think it is one of the best small EDC designs out there.

Team Innovation
ceast

Post by ceast »

I love mine, lock bar was uncomfortable at first but was fine after being cycled about 50 times.
Rutger

Post by Rutger »

My Chaparral was only slightly stiff when i first got it. But after opening and closing it one day that was completely gone. The backlock and action is much better than i expected after seeing the reviews from Nick Shabazz. Just after 1 day the blade was already free dropping when i unlock it.

I didn't notice the spring issue. Just checked mine and they are poking out a little too. I tried to adjust it but that is not completely possible with the screw too far to one side. It will never press down on the ends and the slots are very shallow. But it's not a big issue to me.

Daveho

Post by Daveho »

Me too!

Sjucaveman

Post by Sjucaveman »

Daveho wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:37 pm
Me too!

That's how mine looked too before the clip broke out frn around the channels and would no longer stay in place.
Adam
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Thanks Dave. It does appear that the screw will force the ends of the clip up out of the channels even when it is seated squarely within them.

Team Innovation
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

Sjucaveman wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:58 pm
Daveho wrote:
Me too!

That's how mine looked too before the clip broke out frn around the channels and would no longer stay in place.
It’s one of those things I should fix, 2 minutes and some pliers sort it after all but I just haven’t bothered as it dosnt actually effect anything in my use anyway.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Daveho wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:20 pm
Sjucaveman wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:58 pm
Daveho wrote:
Me too!

It’s one of those things I should fix, 2 minutes and some pliers sort it after all but I just haven’t bothered as it dosnt actually effect anything in my use anyway.
I just got home and looked at mine. It's the same way. I probably wouldn't have noticed had it not been mentioned. I'll fix it later.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

I also was a little concerned about the lock bar thickness and tension before ordering a Chap, after seeing several reviews. I had no issue, whatsoever.