Is the CBBL dead???

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
kodai78
Location: “Beam me up Scotty, there’s no intelligent life down here.”

Re: Is the CBBL dead???

Post by kodai78 »

Bdubs808 wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:25 pm
Sage 6 CBBL
CTS XHP
:spyder:
This!
:spyder: Shaman REX 45, Smock, Baby Jess Horn CE, Spydiechef, Schempp Bowie,Ti Fluted Military, Titanium Military, Native S30 V and G10, PM 2 in S35VN, and S110V, Manix 2 LW BD1 and SPY 27, Sage 5, Positron black CPM S30V, Chaparral w/Raffir Noble scales, SuperLeaf VG 10, Ladybug H1, Dragonfly 2 in ZDP 189 and Superblue/420J1 and H1, Delica in ZDP 189, Clipitool Standard, the Cook’s knife VG10, Santoku, paring and utility knives, all in MBS 26. :spyder:
KnickKnackCity

Post by KnickKnackCity »

Daveho wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:38 pm
It would obviously be called the “minix”
Right in front of me.....
Dave wins. Hashtag edited. Lets get this thing rolling.

I think the CBBL would be such an easy lock to manipulate if you could position the end of the handle into the center of your palm. I'm sure Vivi can already achieve this with the XL, but us "normie" hands want a chance at it too.
ferider

Post by ferider »

I want an original Manix (C95) with CPM Cru-wear, Power-lock and a T10 Pivot.

So there.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I'm picturing something similar in size to a Native with no 50/50 choil and no thumb ramp. Almost like a cross between a Manix 2 and Native 5, but sans choil.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I want the 50/50 choil. :)
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

TomAiello wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:14 pm
I want the 50/50 choil. :)
It wouldn't hurt my feelings one way or the other. I'm actually a big fan of them, just looking for something different.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Bdubs808 wrote:
Sage 6 CBBL
CTS XHP
Sign me up!
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Never liked the feel of this lock and likely never will. I'm sure it's a good one. Maybe if i had actually bought a manix instead of just holding one, it could've grown on me. I don't like the benchmade axis lock.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

ladybug93 wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:20 pm
an easier way to break it is to leave it half open so the spring is compressed. it’s less fun though, so just do that after your hands are tired.
I've seen this stated several times now. I know your just trying to help but that doesn't actually work (IMO). Think about it. The spring is compressed when the blade is closed (compare to when it's open). If leaving the blade halfway open causes the spring tension to lighten then the spring would also lighten when the knife is just sitting with the blade closed. It might take longer but over time there should be a noticeable change. I have several Manix 2s including one that's at least 5 years old, maybe older. I haven't noticed any real change on any of them.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
rybu0305

Post by rybu0305 »

I never intended this thread to become a case for the "mini manix" but I can understand the desire for those who want a <3" knife, particularly for legality in some places. The current Manix really isn't that big though. It has less than 3" of cutting edge (2.88).

Any new CBBL designs would interest me but I prefer longer blades and the lock lends itself to larger blades as well. I know the Caribbean is in the salt series and already a comp lock but you CBBL lovers image with me for a minute, the Caribbean profile, a non-stainless steel, same G10 handles in all black, and a CBBL. That's what i have in mind. Long cutting edge, no choil, small enough for everyday carry but big enough for anything else.

I digress. Instead of discussing specific designs which we may or may not ever see. Why do yo think there haven't been more designs using the CBBL after the great success the Manix has had? Only a few people could answer this but will we ever see new designs with this great lock or should I stop holding my breath? Sal?

Thanks for all the input. I knew I wasn't the only one out there who loves this lock.
More CBBL please!
Delica 4 Brown, Manix 2 G10 S110V, Gayle Bradley 2, Manix 2 CF Cruwear, KC Endura HAP40 pakkawood, Sliverax, Kapara, Manix 2 Rex45, Manix 2 4v, Ivory Straight Stretch
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

rybu0305 wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:05 am
Why do yo think there haven't been more designs using the CBBL after the great success the Manix has had? Only a few people could answer this but will we ever see new designs with this great lock or should I stop holding my breath? Sal?

I think the most direct answer is the Compression Lock is probably just more popular and likely easier and cheaper to produce as well as easier to package (think about knives like the Dialex Junior with how slim the knife is around the lock vs how thick a CBBL needs to be).

The other reason is probably to do with difficulty to unlock vs other locks. Whether it's hard or easy or some can do it with just a thumb and others can't, it inevitably gets compared to the Axis lock all the time which is extremely easy to operate by comparison.

I would bet that the issue lies more with cost to make it and difficulty in getting it into different designs easily and simply that the Compression Lock overshadows it. The whole flipper craze could even have something to do with it.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
attila

Post by attila »

Bdubs808 wrote:
Sage 6 CBBL
CTS XHP
I started a thread about this already, but it got derailed and forgotten... I'm glad someone agrees with me!

//forum.spyderco.com/viewto ... hilit=Sage
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

attila wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:58 am
Bdubs808 wrote:
Sage 6 CBBL
CTS XHP
I started a thread about this already, but it got derailed and forgotten... I'm glad someone agrees with me!

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=78178&hilit=Sage
I'm sorry, but the Sage 6 will come with Neeley lock.
*in my dreams* :)
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
attila

Post by attila »

Larry_Mott wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:23 am
attila wrote:
Bdubs808 wrote:
Sage 6 CBBL
CTS XHP

:confused: I'll have to look that up...
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
BravoTango

Post by BravoTango »

We can't even get any Manix 2 XL sprints/exclusives, which saddens me. I've been waiting for that knife in M4, well; Since I first used a knife in M4. For me that experience was the Jade/M4 Manix 2. I think it's safe to say it's near the bottom of the totem pole, We've seen the proliferation of the comp lock, which I love, don't get me wrong, just saying I think it's a pretty clear indicator of the direction things are heading.
:spyder: Ben,

The North Remembers.

Has (Always in flux): Shaman, Chef, Techno, M390 Para 3, Gayle Bradley 2, Manix 2 M4. Manix 2 XL, Blue Weave Domino, CF Chaparral, Vtoku2 Endura 4, D-Fly Salt Hawk SE.[/s].

Wants: Manix 2 XL CPM-M4 or 4V, Compression Lock, Tip-up Military, Yojimbo 2 XL.
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

attila wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:24 am
Larry_Mott wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:23 am
attila wrote:
Bdubs808 wrote:
Sage 6 CBBL
CTS XHP

:confused: I'll have to look that up...
Sorry, spelled it wrong, *Neely* lock.

https://youtu.be/v-N24dP2Ctg
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
kodai78
Location: “Beam me up Scotty, there’s no intelligent life down here.”

Post by kodai78 »

I’d love a Sage 6 because the size of the Sage is excellent for an EDC. However I usually carry a large knife and a small knife so any size that works with the CBBL would interest me. I buy a knife every 2-3 months so I buy 4-5 Spydies a year. Sometimes more.
:spyder: Shaman REX 45, Smock, Baby Jess Horn CE, Spydiechef, Schempp Bowie,Ti Fluted Military, Titanium Military, Native S30 V and G10, PM 2 in S35VN, and S110V, Manix 2 LW BD1 and SPY 27, Sage 5, Positron black CPM S30V, Chaparral w/Raffir Noble scales, SuperLeaf VG 10, Ladybug H1, Dragonfly 2 in ZDP 189 and Superblue/420J1 and H1, Delica in ZDP 189, Clipitool Standard, the Cook’s knife VG10, Santoku, paring and utility knives, all in MBS 26. :spyder:
SpyderLine

Post by SpyderLine »

I know I'm kind of digging up bones bringing this thread back up. But it just got me thinking how sweet it would be if they would build a 3.5" version of the Native Chief with the CBBL! Its one of my favorite locking mechanisms that spyderco offers simply because it's truly ambidextrous (which is nice for us few leftys) smooth, and I like that the blade is held more securely shut versus a detent based lock. I absolutely love my manix 2, but I love the blade profile of the native chief and lack of thumb ramp because it takes up so little pocket space. What do guys think of a Lil' Chief?
Current Top 3
Kapara, Native 5, Pacific Salt 2
M.N.O.S.D #0034

"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month."
-Theodore Roosevelt
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

SpyderLine wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 6:04 pm
I know I'm kind of digging up bones bringing this thread back up.
I'm down for anything with a CBBL. It's what brought me to Spyderco in the first place. I was looking for something similar to the Benchmade Axis Lock. I've learned to like Spyderco's back locks and have a variety, but if the same knives were available in a CBBL, I'd be all over it.
SpyderLine

Post by SpyderLine »

RustyIron wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 6:58 pm
SpyderLine wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 6:04 pm
I know I'm kind of digging up bones bringing this thread back up.
I'm down for anything with a CBBL. It's what brought me to Spyderco in the first place. I was looking for something similar to the Benchmade Axis Lock. I've learned to like Spyderco's back locks and have a variety, but if the same knives were available in a CBBL, I'd be all over it.
I'm a big fan of spyderco's back locks as well! I also like their compression locks with the button lock!
Current Top 3
Kapara, Native 5, Pacific Salt 2
M.N.O.S.D #0034

"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month."
-Theodore Roosevelt