Are lightweight versions hindering supersteel potenial?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ferider

Re: Are lightweight versions hindering supersteel potenial?

Post by ferider »

Vivi wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:38 pm
Those look really nice! Have you weighed them? I'm curious how the weight compares with the G10 versions.
On the S90V Manix 2, Vivi, the pair of Alu scales weights 30g vs 27g for the original burled G10 scales.

Thanks,

Roland.
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

No, Michael, I wasn't saying that you were agreeing with me. I'm saying that differing opinions are rare on this forum and get heavily questioned and/or scrutinized and/or must be absolutely proven, while popular opinions are instantly accepted and usually do not need to be proven, which leads to people with unpopular opinions sharing them less, which leads to less diversity of thought and lackluster discussions. So it is much easier to agree with popular opinion.

Of course, this in itself is an unpopular opinion, so it will be under the microscope shortly.

Man, those lightweight models are built like absolute TANKS! Why was the thought of steel liners ever conceived!? :D
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
pdptrow

Post by pdptrow »

I see the consensus is vastly for LW version. I was amazed at the number posting in discussion and the positive posts also. Now if I could only find one.
Now I'm sorry I waited b/c the Cutlery Shoppe was 155 and it's now sold out. I was looking and Manix2 S90V LW is ~115 and maxamet is~181 other places! That is a huge difference. I guess the the newest one is in demand the most.
Thanks, I will be looking hoping to find a good deal.
awa54

Post by awa54 »

Pelagic wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:02 am
No, Michael, I wasn't saying that you were agreeing with me. I'm saying that differing opinions are rare on this forum and get heavily questioned and/or scrutinized and/or must be absolutely proven, while popular opinions are instantly accepted and usually do not need to be proven, which leads to people with unpopular opinions sharing them less, which leads to less diversity of thought and lackluster discussions. So it is much easier to agree with popular opinion.

Of course, this in itself is an unpopular opinion, so it will be under the microscope shortly.

Man, those lightweight models are built like absolute TANKS! Why was the thought of steel liners ever conceived!? :D

I'll rephrase what I said earlier: The level of strength in a knife (blade, scales or lock) is a decision that the designer tunes to the expected use of the knife and the buyer/user chooses based on their personal preference and their intended use of the knife.

It seems that many of us on this forum favor light weight and *sufficient* strength over full-on indestructibility.

Top that off with the fact that some "super" steels are not terribly tough and many will say that LW models in no way hold the performance of these alloys back. Also the term "super steel" is poorly defined, if you consider CPM REX45 or CruWear a super steel, then to take advantage their excellent toughness a more rigid and shock resistant handle and lock is certainly in order.

My S90V Manix 2 LW is absolutely up to yard work that might include cutting some small branches, but if I need to clear brush all day the G10/CruWear or G10/154CM version is going to get the nod as the handle is more rigid and the steels are tougher. I only need that extra strength occasionally and could easily use a fixed blade in place of a rugged folder, So my overwhelming preference in an EDC blade is for lighter handles and thinner blades, no matter what steel is between the scales.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

awa54 wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:06 am
Pelagic wrote:

I'll rephrase what I said earlier: The level of strength in a knife (blade, scales or lock) is a decision that the designer tunes to the expected use of the knife and the buyer/user chooses based on their personal preference and their intended use of the knife.

It seems that many of us on this forum favor light weight and *sufficient* strength over full-on indestructibility.

Top that off with the fact that some "super" steels are not terribly tough and many will say that LW models in no way hold the performance of these alloys back. Also the term "super steel" is poorly defined, if you consider CPM REX45 or CruWear a super steel, then to take advantage their excellent toughness a more rigid and shock resistant handle and lock is certainly in order.

My S90V Manix 2 LW is absolutely up to yard work that might include cutting some small branches, but if I need to clear brush all day the G10/CruWear or G10/154CM version is going to get the nod as the handle is more rigid and the steels are tougher. I only need that extra strength occasionally and could easily use a fixed blade in place of a rugged folder, So my overwhelming preference in an EDC blade is for lighter handles and thinner blades, no matter what steel is between the scales.
I AGREE! :D :D
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
awa54

Post by awa54 »

Pelagic wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:12 am

I AGREE! :D :D

lOl! So the definitive answer to the OP is; sometimes yes, other times probably not... :rolleyes: ;)
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Pelagic wrote:
I'm saying that differing opinions are rare on this forum and get heavily questioned and/or scrutinized and/or must be absolutely proven, while popular opinions are instantly accepted and usually do not need to be proven, which leads to people with unpopular opinions sharing them less, which leads to less diversity of thought and lackluster discussions. So it is much easier to agree with popular opinion.
Beware the entrenched groupthink!

This was a comment tossed at me years ago on another forum (photography related) by a wise individual.

Most humans dislike and avoid conflict and have a strong tendency to find and fit in with a peer group. And this leads to what you have to say above. I am as human as the next guy. On the other hand, a great way to learn is to state what you think you know to be true on a forum full of smart people and then get set straight. Sometimes this can be painful, depending on the personalities involved or your own thin skin. Some things don't have right or wrong answers (like whether lightweight FRN knives are "better" than G10 with liners or vice versa). In one group I hang with, the right answer is always "it depends" then a discussion of factors needs to be entered into.

As far as my thoughts on lightweight linerless knives -- it depends! I tend to favor heavy G10 knives, but like Vivi, I am into outdoor activities when weight is a big factor -- namely lightweight backpacking -- so I can certainly think about things in a different way. My linerless G10 Native 5 is my current backpacking knife whereas I will happily carry a Manix backlock or Military in town when I wear denims, which is most of the time. If I go out for a run with shorts, it depends! Sometimes I do want a bigger knife and one of my favorites is the Street Bowie, believe it or not.

As for the original question, it would not seem that lightweight versions are a limiting factor. These are folding knives after all -- maybe someone should be asking whether folding knives are hindering supersteel potential. Let's see more fixed blades with super steels.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Pelagic wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:33 am
Vivi, I'm sorry. It wasn't my intention to be short with you, only keep the message short.
It's all good brother.

For what it's worth, I agree with you that sometimes things can get a little trendy, and people going against the grain can have their preferences feel attacked. As someone that goes through that a lot for being an extremely particular knife user, sorry if I made you feel that way.

Tucson Tom: The street bowie is pretty dang light for how much edge it offers. I used to take one hiking from time to time, but usually opt for my folders these days.
:unicorn