Show Your Patina!

A place for you to post your pictures of Spyderco knives. Read Announcement before posting!
User avatar
Vivi
Member
Posts: 6299
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:15 am

Re: Show Your Patina!

Postby Vivi » Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:55 am

Cambertree wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:24 am
Image
This is an awesome picture. It makes me happy seeing a Spyderco with a thinned out bevel and a blade that's obviously seeing use. Bonus points for doing it by hand.

User avatar
Holland
Member
Posts: 6773
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:37 pm
Location: Alberta

Re: Show Your Patina!

Postby Holland » Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:30 pm

Image
-Spencer

vinnyd34
Member
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:21 am
Location: Williamsburg, VA

Re: Show Your Patina!

Postby vinnyd34 » Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:37 am

IMG_1270.JPG
It's not a "Spyder" but I forced the patina with plain mustatrd.
Good luck and stay sharp! :D
Delica G-2 Serrated x2, Delica Serrated AUS-8, Delica 4 ZDP-189, Delica 4 Semi VG-10, Para 2 CPM S110V, Manix 2 Maxamet, Para 2 Cruwear, Byrd Cara Cara 2 G10, Polestar BD-1, Calypso Jr Superblue.

User avatar
legOFwhat?
Member
Posts: 782
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:58 am
Location: Kentucky; Earth

Re: Show Your Patina!

Postby legOFwhat? » Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:41 am

Image
-Larry

User avatar
attila
Member
Posts: 1074
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:20 am
Location: Maryland

Re: Show Your Patina!

Postby attila » Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:46 pm

Getting a feel for my new Superblue Caly 3. I also just cleaned the blade's ffg portion to let the patina start.

Image
Own: VG-10 Delica, Old S30V Native, modified Breeden Rescue, VG-10 Delica, HAP40 Endura, ZDP-189 Dragonfly, S110V Manix 2 LW,Pakkawood Delica, Cruwear Para 3, SE H1 Dragonfly, M4 Manix 2, HAP40 Caly 3, smooth G10 S90V Native, K390 Urban, Pakkawood Dragonfly, smooth G10 Cruwear PM2, SE Pacific Salt, HAP40 Jazzlica, Blurple Native, P.I.T.S., DLC Manix 2, REX 45 PM2, REX 45 Para 3, XHP Manix 2 LW, Superblue Caly 3, DLT 20CV PM2, Rhino, SB Calypso Jr., B70P, PMA11, K03, G10 ZDP-189 Stretch 2, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix 2 LW, KW 204p PM2, Swick, Supergold Delica, back lock Lil'Native, AEB-L Urban, HAP40 Stretch, smooth G10 Cruwear Manix 2, Cruwear Military, M390 PM2, Cruwear Delica, CPM 4V Lil'Native, Mantra 2, Cruwear & Micarta Shaman, M390 Para 3 LW, M390 Manix 2

Waiting for: Swick 5, and something purple
.

User avatar
lonerider1013
Member
Posts: 542
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:06 pm
Location: "On your left!" Yeh I wish

Re:

Postby lonerider1013 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:55 pm

Irelander wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:29 am


Then I just let it sit overnight. If you want it lighter in color, only leave it in for a few hours. In the morning, I pulled it out and made sure the patina looked the way I wanted it; wiped it off with a wet cloth and made sure there was no fruit, juice, or rust anywhere; oiled it; and then applied Tuf-glide to the entire blade to lock in the patina as is.

....
I want to try this, but don't have tough glide. Is there anything else that works? Alcohol? Mineral oil? 3-in-1? Etc.
Lonerider
"A fool's blade may be sharper than his brain"
“Learn to ride a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live." - Mark Twain

User avatar
Vivi
Member
Posts: 6299
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:15 am

Re: Show Your Patina!

Postby Vivi » Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:55 pm

Image

Image

I've always used a mango as my go to...stab the knife in and check on it once an hour. This was my first time trying mustard. Really like what you can do with the layered patterns. curious to see how it looks after a month of EDC.

User avatar
z4vdBt
Member
Posts: 426
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:42 pm
Location: U.S.A. Earth

Re: Show Your Patina!

Postby z4vdBt » Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:46 am

Image

Image

Image

User avatar
JonLeBlanc
Member
Posts: 972
Joined: Sun May 13, 2018 8:00 am
Location: Louisiana

Re: Show Your Patina!

Postby JonLeBlanc » Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:47 pm

Vivi wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:55 pm
Image

Image

I've always used a mango as my go to...stab the knife in and check on it once an hour. This was my first time trying mustard. Really like what you can do with the layered patterns. curious to see how it looks after a month of EDC.
Hi Vivi, may I ask what’s that drop point model on the top (and the steel)? I really like it!
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara

User avatar
Woodpuppy
Member
Posts: 1598
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:38 pm
Location: Florida

Re: Show Your Patina!

Postby Woodpuppy » Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:53 pm

:spyder: Current favs: M4 & CRUWEAR :spyder:

User avatar
Vivi
Member
Posts: 6299
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:15 am

Re: Show Your Patina!

Postby Vivi » Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:02 pm

JonLeBlanc wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:47 pm
Vivi wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:55 pm
Image

Image

I've always used a mango as my go to...stab the knife in and check on it once an hour. This was my first time trying mustard. Really like what you can do with the layered patterns. curious to see how it looks after a month of EDC.
Hi Vivi, may I ask what’s that drop point model on the top (and the steel)? I really like it!
That's the Landi EDC model. He just made a batch of them in black micarta or natural micarta. Very reasonable prices, mine were under $70 with kydex sheath.

Image

The knife on the bottom is his PSK model. Last I checked www.collectorknives.com had a few in stock, some with leather and micarta, others in G10 and Kydex. The top is a Scandi ground Bushcrafter model. The micarta handled EDC looks splotchy from the cleaner I used after forcing a patina on the blade, once it gets used an absorbs some hand oils it will even back out.

Steel on all of mine is A2, except for O1 on the bushcrafter. I've seen him makes knives in 154CM and 1095 as well.

IMO you can't beat the quality for the price. Every knife in that picture came with a nice sheath, and I paid less than $300 for the lot. A lot of makers are charging that much for one knife like this, and aside from minor fit and finish imperfections I personally don't notice much difference. These make fantastic users.

User avatar
Woodpuppy
Member
Posts: 1598
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:38 pm
Location: Florida

Re: Show Your Patina!

Postby Woodpuppy » Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:43 pm

Oh. I thought you meant the pic on top.
:spyder: Current favs: M4 & CRUWEAR :spyder:

User avatar
JonLeBlanc
Member
Posts: 972
Joined: Sun May 13, 2018 8:00 am
Location: Louisiana

Re: Show Your Patina!

Postby JonLeBlanc » Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:22 pm

Vivi wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:02 pm
JonLeBlanc wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:47 pm
Vivi wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:55 pm
Image

Image

I've always used a mango as my go to...stab the knife in and check on it once an hour. This was my first time trying mustard. Really like what you can do with the layered patterns. curious to see how it looks after a month of EDC.
Hi Vivi, may I ask what’s that drop point model on the top (and the steel)? I really like it!
That's the Landi EDC model. He just made a batch of them in black micarta or natural micarta. Very reasonable prices, mine were under $70 with kydex sheath.

Image

The knife on the bottom is his PSK model. Last I checked www.collectorknives.com had a few in stock, some with leather and micarta, others in G10 and Kydex. The top is a Scandi ground Bushcrafter model. The micarta handled EDC looks splotchy from the cleaner I used after forcing a patina on the blade, once it gets used an absorbs some hand oils it will even back out.

Steel on all of mine is A2, except for O1 on the bushcrafter. I've seen him makes knives in 154CM and 1095 as well.

IMO you can't beat the quality for the price. Every knife in that picture came with a nice sheath, and I paid less than $300 for the lot. A lot of makers are charging that much for one knife like this, and aside from minor fit and finish imperfections I personally don't notice much difference. These make fantastic users.
Oh how interesting, thanks! I’ve been looking for a nice fixed in that style AND in black micarta :cool: Especially since I ordered something similar from BHQ and got entirely the WRONG knife, and the right one was never even in stock lol. Oh well. Thanks again!
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara

TkoK83Spy
Member
Posts: 2626
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:32 pm
Location: Syracuse, NY

Re: Show Your Patina!

Postby TkoK83Spy » Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:59 pm

MHkNibnh.jpg
Currently have 17 :spyder: 's in 13 different steels.

-Rick

User avatar
Holland
Member
Posts: 6773
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:37 pm
Location: Alberta

Re: Show Your Patina!

Postby Holland » Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:19 am

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:59 pm
MHkNibnh.jpg
Nice photo!
-Spencer

User avatar
Holland
Member
Posts: 6773
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:37 pm
Location: Alberta

Re: Show Your Patina!

Postby Holland » Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:16 pm

Image
-Spencer

selrahc
Member
Posts: 54
Joined: Wed May 02, 2018 8:29 pm

Re: Show Your Patina!

Postby selrahc » Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:45 am

Image

User avatar
Holland
Member
Posts: 6773
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:37 pm
Location: Alberta

Re: Show Your Patina!

Postby Holland » Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:40 pm

Image
-Spencer

User avatar
Holland
Member
Posts: 6773
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:37 pm
Location: Alberta

Re: Show Your Patina!

Postby Holland » Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:54 pm

Image

Image

Image
-Spencer

User avatar
Cambertree
Member
Posts: 565
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:48 am
Location: Victoria, Australia

Re: Show Your Patina!

Postby Cambertree » Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:51 am

Patina update on the Police, and another batch of hotsauce to prep:
Image


Return to “Spyderco Picture Gallery”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests