Help! I need to be talked out of getting a Sebenza.

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Crux

Re: Help! I need to be talked out of getting a Sebenza.

Post by Crux »

Or me. :) :) :)
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek:
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

That is great! Good on you! I am sure you and him will both love it.
Josh
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Let us know how it is once you get it. I was going to suggest you buy a less expensive knife and put the rest of the money in a US Savings bond or an interest bearing account.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

You get your Sebenza yet?? Here’s one of mine, I usually carry this one everyday.

I just saw this on BF, someone did a spydiehole mod to a Knifeart C.F. exclusive with Insingo blade, I think it looks very good and well executed. Evil D might like this one!
Josh
supracor

Post by supracor »

It's an awkward knife with a underhardened steel.
But hey, f&f is pretty good.
kwakster

Post by kwakster »

The underhardened part is solved since around mid-2013, as they now harden their S35VN to 59-60 HRC.
And from sharpening these for others plus the feedback i receive this is a noticeable improvement.

If CRK now would focus more on reducing the thickness behind the edge, making sure that the factory edge angle can at least be resharpened on a Sharpmaker (it is often too large), and put on a truly sharp factory edge and not something that leaves many customers underwhelmed (to keep shiny footprints)
kodai78
Location: “Beam me up Scotty, there’s no intelligent life down here.”

Post by kodai78 »

I’m a huge Spyderco fan. I also really like titanium slabs for knives. I own 3 Spydies with titanium handles and an Inkosi. You won’t regret buying a Chris Reeve knife. The thumb studs are a bit of an adjustment but the workmanship, fit and finish, grind, lockup and blade centering are all perfect on my example. I would go for the Sebenza!
:spyder: Shaman REX 45, Smock, Baby Jess Horn CE, Spydiechef, Schempp Bowie,Ti Fluted Military, Titanium Military, Native S30 V and G10, PM 2 in S35VN, and S110V, Manix 2 LW BD1 and SPY 27, Sage 5, Positron black CPM S30V, Chaparral w/Raffir Noble scales, SuperLeaf VG 10, Ladybug H1, Dragonfly 2 in ZDP 189 and Superblue/420J1 and H1, Delica in ZDP 189, Clipitool Standard, the Cook’s knife VG10, Santoku, paring and utility knives, all in MBS 26. :spyder:
supracor

Post by supracor »

kwakster wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:41 am
The underhardened part is solved since around mid-2013, as they now harden their S35VN to 59-60 HRC.
Indeed.
S35VN at 59/60 rc is a gimmick, especially when the japanese conterpart, the Super Gold 2 was hardened to ~62 hrc in Fallkniven knives (one of the rare example of SG2 factory knives) and in kitchen cutlery is hardened to >63 hrc even in factory kitchen knives.
Even a factory well known to underharden steels bring it to ~61 hrc.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

murphjd25 wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:15 am
I just saw this on BF, someone did a spydiehole mod to a Knifeart C.F. exclusive with Insingo blade, I think it looks very good and well executed. Evil D might like this one!
Wow. I might have to grow a pair and do this!
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Well, here is another argument you can use if you want to be talked out of the Sebenza:

For the same price, you can buy several, multiple copies of the Cold Steel Finn Wolf Folder, which has a beautifully-functional Japanese AUS8A stainless steel blade and Grivory handle, and the Triad Lock, and the Scandinavian Zero Grind edge. These are rough estimates but for the same price of one Sebenza folder you can get about ten or more Finn Wolf Folders. And these are not cheapo trash knives. That is your better price. Then you can get yourself multiples of the Finn Wolf and still have money left over to get some good treats like quality barbeque sandwiches. What say you friend?

Here, I will even give you the link to get them:

https://www.bladehq.com/item--Cold-Stee ... ife--30619
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

I can't think of any reason not to get one personally.

I have had a number of them over the years myself, I keep at least one around as an EDC.
Slash

Post by Slash »

Not sure if it's been mentioned here yet. But, with enough hard use the lock bar will wear and engage very late. Which may or may not concern you. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think they incorporated a lock bar insert into their design yet.
Last edited by Slash on Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Slash wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:53 pm
Not sure if it's been mentioned here yet. But, with enough hard use the lock bar will were and engage very late. Which may or may not concern you. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think they incorporated a lock bar insert into their design yet.

Yeah, they did with the SEB 25, ZAAN and the INKOSI.
Slash

Post by Slash »

Ankerson wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:55 pm
Slash wrote:
Not sure if it's been mentioned here yet. But, with enough hard use the lock bar will were and engage very late. Which may or may not concern you. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think they incorporated a lock bar insert into their design yet.

Sweet. My sebenza insingo is pretty old now. Never really bothered looking at the newer ones. How long have they been making them with insert?
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Slash wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:03 pm
Ankerson wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:55 pm
Slash wrote:

Sweet. My sebenza insingo is pretty old now. Never really bothered looking at the newer ones. How long have they been making them with insert?
A LONG TIME NOW.

1st one was the ZAAN.

Then the SEB 25, discontinued now and replaced with the INKOSI.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

murphjd25 wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:15 am

See, that's perfection. I'd sell off quite a few knives for one of those.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

The Inkosi and 25 doesn’t really have a insert...it’s a ceramic detent ball set into the end of the lockbar on the side, which acts like a stainless insert in a way, but it is very different then a stainless insert at the same time. I love how it works on my Inkosi. It looks up solid, same spot every time and will never move over more. I’m sure you could look it up as my memory is very vague on exactly how they accomplished that.

Glad you like it D!
Josh
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

murphjd25 wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:41 pm
The Inkosi and 25 doesn’t really have a insert...it’s a ceramic detent ball set into the end of the lockbar on the side, which acts like a stainless insert in a way, but it is very different then a stainless insert at the same time. I love how it works on my Inkosi. It looks up solid, same spot every time and will never move over more. I’m sure you could look it up as my memory is very vague on exactly how they accomplished that.

Glad you like it D!

I owned both the Seb 25 and a few ZAAN's and currently have a LG INKOSI.
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

Ankerson wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:52 pm
murphjd25 wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:41 pm

Glad you like it D!

I owned both the Seb 25 and a few ZAAN's and currently have a LG INKOSI.
I love my Spydercos but It’s hard to beat a CRK.
Josh
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

No hole -- that settles the issue for me. Don't buy it.

A shop in town had one. Holding it for a minute or two satisfied all my desires. Now I can say, "been there, done that". No weird magic got hold of me.

Your mileage could of course differ.