Are lightweight versions hindering supersteel potenial?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
pdptrow

Are lightweight versions hindering supersteel potenial?

Post by pdptrow »

Does the lightweight version, e.g. LW Manix 2 Maxamet,keep you from using a supersteel to full potenial vs knife with steel/ ti liners? Most seen with Maxamet , S110V. Holding back from purchase since I don't have any LW versions.
jpm2

Re: Are lightweight versions hindering supersteel potenial?

Post by jpm2 »

I've been warming up to the lightweight versions lately, and prefer them now in some roles. So far, they have held up well.
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

For me it was but now I see they have their purpose. I didn't go out and get the Maxamet Manix LWT because of the plastic handle but I did get one at the seconds sale, and since I've had it it has really changed my mind and became one of my most carried second knives.
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I use my Manix 2 LW S110V at work and around the house quite often. If anything, I think I've used it harder than a lot of my other knives due to the low price. I'll admit that I'm not the hardest user of any knife but I haven't had any issues leaning on the M2 LW a bit when necessary.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

The Native 5 lw is a very sturdy knife. I picked up the bright orange cs exclusive one recently. I'm very happy with it. Weighs less than a delica but is quite strong and s90v is good stuff.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

knivesandbooks wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:29 am
The Native 5 lw is a very sturdy knife. I picked up the bright orange cs exclusive one recently. I'm very happy with it. Weighs less than a delica but is quite strong and s90v is good stuff.
Yep! I use my Native 5 LWs pretty hard too. My black S35VN N5LW has cut all kinds of things (thick cardboard, hardwood, thick pallet banding, etc) and has never let me down.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

You're missing out. The LW versions are incredibly strong and will not hold back steel performance.
Archimedes

Post by Archimedes »

The Manix LW S110V is one of my favorite all time knives. I had reservations about it when I got it. But it has proven incredibly strong. I love it because it barely registers in the pocket but when you use it has to be one of the best cutting tools ever with S110V. If you are looking for a real world user the LW Manix might be one of the finest blades out there.
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Any knife is either overbuilt or underbuilt for a certain series of tasks, as perfection doesn't exist. It's all subjective of course, but I do not feel the lightweight models are overbuilt (if someone thought that, they must feel the regular version is an absolute tank), so by default, I feel they are at least somewhat underbuilt. However, when most people think of "super steels" they think of high alloy, high wear resistance steels like Maxamet or s110v. Neither of these are exceptionally tough, so an argument can be made for these types of steels that the LW platform is more than enough regarding strength/durability (since due to the steel, you shouldn't be expecting much from the knife to begin with.... At least as not as much as you would with a cruwear Shaman, a Gayle Bradley 1, a spyderco tuff, or some of the more ruggedly built models).
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I beat the snot out of my S110V LW. The handle can take anything you should reasonably be doing with any folder.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Does the lightweight version, e.g. LW Manix 2 Maxamet,keep you from using a supersteel to full potenial vs knife with steel/ ti liners?
No. Not even remotely.
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

The Mastiff wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:20 pm
Does the lightweight version, e.g. LW Manix 2 Maxamet,keep you from using a supersteel to full potenial vs knife with steel/ ti liners?
No. Not even remotely.
How overbuilt are the LW models in your opinion? If Spyderco should start using weaker materials, what do you suggest?
Pancake wrote:
Nate wrote:
You are a nobody got it?
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

How overbuilt are the LW models in your opinion? If Spyderco should start using weaker materials, what do you suggest?
I don't know what overbuilt means for you. They are overbuilt for my needs. I only use them for knife related tasks and they do anything I would ask of them. Spyderco designs them for the jobs they envision then engineer them to get rid of excess weight and material. Like the performance "Spyder" cars that inspired Sal long ago.

You need to envision the jobs you intend to use the knife for. Does it work? In all honesty though in the time I've carried FRN Spydercos ( since 92 as a guess, I really am unsure) there is not once I've felt the FRN models I've carried were not strong enough. Every one is still in service and has plenty of life still available. I upgrade but never seem to wear any out.

Joe
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Pelagic wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:26 pm
The Mastiff wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:20 pm
No. Not even remotely.
If having a large factor of safety doesn't cost you anything then there's no advantage in reducing it.
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

The Mastiff wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:17 pm
I don't know what overbuilt means for you. They are overbuilt for my needs. I only use them for knife related tasks and they do anything I would ask of them. Spyderco designs them for the jobs they envision then engineer them to get rid of excess weight and material. Like the performance "Spyder" cars that inspired Sal long ago.

You need to envision the jobs you intend to use the knife for. Does it work? In all honesty though in the time I've carried FRN Spydercos ( since 92 as a guess, I really am unsure) there is not once I've felt the FRN models I've carried were not strong enough. Every one is still in service and has plenty of life still available. I upgrade but never seem to wear any out.

Joe
To me, your response "not even remotely" suggested something is heinously overbuilt, like some cold steel or Medford knives might be. So I was curious of your opinion. But your explanation makes it seem like you feel they are not overbuilt, just appropriately built.
Pancake wrote:
Nate wrote:
You are a nobody got it?
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

I think the Native LW is rock solid. Feels way more solid than the salt models I have. I wish there were actually some *tough* steels like Cruwear, 4V, 52100, Rex45, M4, and Elmax in the Native LW and Manix LW platforms. I would buy them all as the Native LW is my favorite model. My first Manix LW (blacked out BD1) is in the mail so I am excited to try out that one.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

The issue is...well the issue is you are imagining that someone is "suggesting" something, as opposed to stating it. Always best not to make inferences on a forum.

However, the OTHER issue is that "overbuilt" could mean that an item has a decent factor of safety (which any consumer good/tool should have). It could also mean that the item is built so out-sized compared to it's intended task, that it actually becomes a detriment. I don't see that stated, or even implied, anywhere, so it doesn't make much sense to make that the topic of discussion.
vivi

Post by vivi »

pdptrow wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:13 am
Does the lightweight version, e.g. LW Manix 2 Maxamet,keep you from using a supersteel to full potenial vs knife with steel/ ti liners? Most seen with Maxamet , S110V. Holding back from purchase since I don't have any LW versions.
Why do you think this would be the case?
:unicorn
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

pdptrow wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:13 am

No sir.

Most of my knives are the lightweight FRN models, and I've never felt limited by their FRN construction.
I recommend that you get one. I think you will find them fully capable of the worst kind of use you can put them through!
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

No, but G10 is nicer.

The FRN and FRCP doesn't effect the performance or hold back the use.

I think people fantasize too much about overbuilt folders being a necessity.

I've really beaten up my Maxamet Manix 2 LW, No problems.

I do prefer the G10 models. Better feel and look.
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives