Most underrated Spydercos?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

Re: Most underrated Spydercos?

Post by Evil D »

Daveho wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:19 am

I really have to try something serrated...
It’s on my list- you may have finally talked me into it.
If you go back far enough in my posts you'll find comments where I'm not at all interested in them, and now I carry my Autonomy everyday. The most important thing was learning to sharpen them. Once you can get edges that push cut phone book paper they really start shining. There are still issues with snagging when they start getting dull but I just make sure to always touch them up after every use so it hasn't been much of an issue.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
KnickKnackCity

Post by KnickKnackCity »

Holland wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:12 pm
I vote the Junction
Literally every single time I am at the SFO I have to handle this one. Has the feel of a classic blade that your grandfather would bring along for lunch on a fishing trip.

I dont know if its the most underrated but I feel like the Ark should get more attention than it does. My GF wanted it as a "last resort," but ends up using it for EDC tasks all thr time. The big belly with serrations is especially useful if you have a picnic table to lay whatever you are cutting down on.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Foundry
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

KnickKnackCity wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:50 am
Holland wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:12 pm
I vote the Junction
Literally every single time I am at the SFO I have to handle this one. Has the feel of a classic blade that your grandfather would bring along for lunch on a fishing trip.
I just wish this one had contoured handles like the bowie. I’m not sure it’d make it more popular, but I’d own it if so.
KnickKnackCity

Post by KnickKnackCity »

tvenuto wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:20 am
I just wish this one had contoured handles like the bowie.
Have you gotten to palm one in person? Its actually a lot more comfortable than it looks in pictures (for my hand at least.) You could always take some sandpaper to the G10 to contour it to your liking.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

I have, at the Amsterdam Meet before it was released. For me, a fixed blade may as well have a contoured handle, and I'm not entirely sure there'd be enough meat on it to get a good palm swell. I also really don't have any use for more fixed blades, so for me to buy a new one it really needs to have the total package.
Qcrazy

Post by Qcrazy »

I tend to like smaller knives, so here's my list:

Meerkat
Lava
Balance
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

The Caly 3.5 in VG10
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

MacLaren wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:11 am
The Caly 3.5 in VG10
The standard Caly 3 in VG10 definitely was underappreciated. Once it went away I remember a lot of people wishing they had one.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Worker. I love the blade shape. It is a little too heavy for me though with the G10 and liners and the G10 knives from Seki are too expensive and the value just insn't there vs. G10 knives like the Native and Para 3 of out Golden.

That said, I still think that the Worker blade shape is very underrated, and I would buy an FRN Worker Salt in H1 SE and H1 PE in an instant!
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
brainfriction

Post by brainfriction »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:45 pm
Centofante 3/4, most criminally underappreciated knife Spyderco ever made I think. Then again it's still in production so maybe it's just the AFI's who aren't crazy about it.

+1 on the Centofante, I really like that one
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

Very few are over rated. The best are known as the best, because they are.
The under rated knives are the ones that people have not tried because of expense or that don’t fit in their collection, like the fixed blades in general.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Hundred Pacer
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

- Centofante 3: the thinnest, lightest, sliciest folder with opening hole under $70 you can find
- This one:

IMO, the best companion folding blade to a straight PE knife (SAK, Fixed blade, PE Spyderco or otherwise) there is in the modern folder market. :rolleyes:
Had it been marketed as a EDC knife and not a defensive blade, I bet I'd have been a sales success and received the popularity and love it deserves :o
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

Evil D wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:03 am
Daveho wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:19 am

I really have to try something serrated...
It’s on my list- you may have finally talked me into it.
If you go back far enough in my posts you'll find comments where I'm not at all interested in them, and now I carry my Autonomy everyday. The most important thing was learning to sharpen them. Once you can get edges that push cut phone book paper they really start shining. There are still issues with snagging when they start getting dull but I just make sure to always touch them up after every use so it hasn't been much of an issue.
End of the day I think it’s a try to give h1 a try plus the serrations-
Worth a go huh
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:12 am
Hundred Pacer
Definitely
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

ThePeacent wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:12 am
- Centofante 3: the thinnest, lightest, sliciest folder with opening hole under $70 you can find
- This one:

IMO, the best companion folding blade to a straight PE knife (SAK, Fixed blade, PE Spyderco or otherwise) there is in the modern folder market. :rolleyes:
Had it been marketed as a EDC knife and not a defensive blade, I bet I'd have been a sales success and received the popularity and love it deserves :o
Would love a SE lil matriarch.
They still have a bbs plain edge one but I'm not too interested. I want to compare it to my loved SE Wharnie Delica.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
BIGSTRETCH

Post by BIGSTRETCH »

This is easy.

Manix XL... lighter, bigger, better than your Shaman (lol, please don't flame me)

Runner up- Stretch... Despite my name, the normal one is just perfect so need for a Pocket Sword version Spyderco :)
Jmotley

Post by Jmotley »

I have to agree with Evil D on the Sliverax. Wonderful knife and really hope that we can see some sprint or productions variations in the future. It has been my work knife most days since I got it and has taken everything in stride and has great ergos and carries very small in the pocket for the blade size.
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Lots of hidden gems in the one season only collabs
Love the centofante, though the handle looks dated
The dialex knives are cool
Ouroboros?
Cricket - kinda forgotten, been around forever, and had an s blade before the dodo was cool? Could use an update?
Stretch gets plenty of love here

The Byrd tern is a $20 g10 ukpk clone