Most underrated Spydercos?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
brainfriction

Most underrated Spydercos?

Post by brainfriction »

We all know the PM2, Para 3, Delica, Manix, Slysz Bowie, etc.. are fan favorites, but what about the gems that fly under the radar? Which models come to mind for you?

For me, I'd say the Domino. I understand the market is pretty crowded when it comes to $100-$200 framelock flippers, but despite that it's a solid knife. XHP steel, titanium frame, ball bearing pivot, smooth action, one of my favs and it gets its fair share of pocket time.
Holland

Re: Most underrated Spydercos?

Post by Holland »

I vote the Junction
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
vivi

Post by vivi »

Police 3. Police 4 seemed to catch peoples attention, and the original is a classic, but I hardly ever see someone posting a P3 picture.

Also, the Spin. It's a great tiny knife. I get a better grip with my Spin than I do a lot of the more popular tiny Spydercos.
:unicorn
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Native LW....highly refined, rock solid, super smooth, lightweight, unbelievable value, yet an awesome exclusive like the orange/DLC S90V from Cutlery Shoppe stays in stock for months at a little over $100. Hopefully all of the people who grab a Native Salt will see how great the Native LW platform is and we can start seeing some more sprints and exclusives. It is my favorite model. 5 of my 26 Spydies are Native LWs. No other model is represented more in my collection. And I don't really even *love* any of the steels I have it in (S30V, S35VN, S90V, S110V, Maxamet). It's a tragedy that there are no tool/carbon steels outside of Maxamet available in the Native LW. No 52100, no M4, no Cruwear, no Rex45, no 4V. Heck, i'd even take a blacked out BD1 to match the blacked out BD1 Manix LW enroute to my house. Not even an M390/20CV/CTS-204P! No Elmax?! :(
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Centofante 3/4, most criminally underappreciated knife Spyderco ever made I think. Then again it's still in production so maybe it's just the AFI's who aren't crazy about it.

I also think the Stretch is better than a Delica by a mile, though a tad bigger it's better in every way but doesn't get near as much praise.

Sliverax, just because I really can't believe more people aren't fawning over this knife like I am. It is *the best* release probably since I've been on this forum IMO.

Autonomy, I guess not that many people can enjoy this one so it's understandable, but it's also a shame because it's really a superb design.

And, I'll throw in an honorable mention for EVERYTHING that's offered in SE. Y'all need to branch out and join the dark side, serrations are where it's at.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I agree with David about the Centofante 3. Yea, it's not the best materials but that knife is one of my most used/carried. I love the unique blade shape, how slim the blade is. A great slicer. Plus, I carried it when I got married this past summer, so it has some sentimental value as well. Can't get a much better Spyderco knife for $70-under.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

The R. It’s a larger Delica with a choil. One of my favorite designs and I’ve been requesting another run for as long as I’ve been on the forum. Also, the previous ones we offered in SE as well and it’s one of the few FFG SE models. Mr. Blonde photo:

knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

Vivi wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:38 pm
Police 3. Police 4 seemed to catch peoples attention, and the original is a classic, but I hardly ever see someone posting a P3 picture.

Also, the Spin. It's a great tiny knife. I get a better grip with my Spin than I do a lot of the more popular tiny Spydercos.
I would buy a police 3 if i could find one for a good price!

I think the myrtle is underrated.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
Nate

Post by Nate »

If the Centofante 3/4 had a reversible clip, they might be at the top of the list for me for me, but sadly... it is what it is. (lefty problems)

I should've bought the R sprint, but was put off by the smooth scales, (probably ignorantly so,) hope for a g10 run some day, but I'm not holding my breath.

The Police may be being underrated by me right now, never owned or even handled one. Might snag an frn P4 if it happens, but I mostly carry smaller blades.

I thought the Kiwi 4 was underrated, and I think the current Baby Horn is massively underrated, the most of what's currently available anyway, imo. Yes, I hear the haterz. To me though, it seems like most of them will break in, can be cleaned and lubed for great action, and be totally fine. It's an absolute classic out of Moki by an esteemed collaborator who won't be releasing any new stuff otherwise. I'm kind of surprised the traditional crowd hasn't snapped them up. A full-sized ffg g10 Jess Horn sprint would be incredible, if not likely.
:spyder:
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

- Spyderco Stuart Ackerman Sustain, with 20CV Blade. Folks this is one huge hunk of 20CV. I've got one, how abt you? If you love 20CV, this is the best blade to have, and as far as I know, it is the biggest 20CV blade on the market. It's 6.2 inches of 20CV with a black G-10 handle.

- Spyderco Yojimbo 2, CF, with 20CV Blade. Again, 20CV and CF scales. I bought 2 and I already had the model in S30V. When I first started looking for a defensive knife and I came across this, I was like, "Hmmmmm.... What.... Nah...." but then I started to think abt it. The way that it was designed most of the stabbyness is reduced/removed, but it is probably the very best slicer for it's size. And I started to think. If I am in trouble and getting jumped on, the last thing that I want is to become the bad guy, so less stabby is fine. It offers excellent penetration too.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Luke2236

Post by Luke2236 »

I would say the stretch. I prefer the first generation but when the V2 steel drops I’ll be picking that one up.
Wanted: M4 PM 2 or manix M4.
Mystery Flavor

Post by Mystery Flavor »

• Q
  • R
  • S
  • Sage 3
  • Jumpmaster
timlara

Post by timlara »

Totally agree on the R2. I wish there was enough demand to do a sprint with the skeletonized handles in some kind of super steel.

Also the UKPK. If I were a reasonable person, I could get by just fine with that as my only knife. Even though I have several fancier Spydies to choose from, it's the one I always grab first if I'm in a hurry.

Honorable mention goes to the Sheepfoot Caribbean - though it's too new to be considered "underrated", it doesn't seem to have received all that much hype so far. However, after carrying it a bit, I think it definitely deserves a lot more love. Like many people, my first reaction was that the scales were hideous, but the texture feels so good in the hand that I don't even care if it looks like a mutant bee anymore. :)
Tim
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i’ve never used one, but i’d like to try a jester. the assist doesn’t get much love either.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Baron Mind

Post by Baron Mind »

I agree the native 5 doesn't get enough press. I like the ergos better than the para 3. Compression lock is the goat but Spyderco has done incredible work with their blacklock. It's actually flickable and smooth. And the stock soon clip works perfectly in the hand on this model. Great knife.
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:45 pm
Centofante 3/4, most criminally underappreciated knife Spyderco ever made I think. Then again it's still in production so maybe it's just the AFI's who aren't crazy about it.

I also think the Stretch is better than a Delica by a mile, though a tad bigger it's better in every way but doesn't get near as much praise.

Sliverax, just because I really can't believe more people aren't fawning over this knife like I am. It is *the best* release probably since I've been on this forum IMO.

Autonomy, I guess not that many people can enjoy this one so it's understandable, but it's also a shame because it's really a superb design.

And, I'll throw in an honorable mention for EVERYTHING that's offered in SE. Y'all need to branch out and join the dark side, serrations are where it's at.
I really have to try something serrated...
It’s on my list- you may have finally talked me into it.
vivi

Post by vivi »

knivesandbooks wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:22 pm
Vivi wrote:

They were only $125 or so when they came out. Hopefully the FRN Police 4 can hit a similar, or lower, price point.
:unicorn
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

Vivi wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:34 am
knivesandbooks wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:22 pm
Vivi wrote:

They were only $125 or so when they came out. Hopefully the FRN Police 4 can hit a similar, or lower, price point.
I'm hoping for around $90, less than $100. I'm also hoping Sal issues a serrated version.

Forgot to add that I think the Rhino has been underrated. I know it is new but it is fantastic, especially clipless.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
JacksonKnives

Post by JacksonKnives »

Dialex Junior
This model is nearly perfect. I'd trade my PM2 or Caly3.5 sprints for a Junior sprint in VToku.
juggler

Post by juggler »

The Pacific Salt is a very popular knife, but for some reason the Salt and the Atlantic Salt don't receive as much attention.
Time is a great teacher. Unfortunately, it kills all its pupils.