Is the Dragonfly Obsolete?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Does the Chaparral make the Dragonfly Obsolete?

Yes
9%
No
87%
No sure
4%

Total votes: 127

Evil D

Re: Is the Dragonfly Obsolete?

Post by Evil D »

I do think we need a Dragonfly wharnie. The standard blade is pretty close but let's take it all the way :D
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Don't wanna live in a world without this little fella! Not obsolete :D
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
vivi

Post by vivi »

For me, yes. If I ever want a tiny folder from Spyderco that still offers a four finger grip, I'd go with a UKPK, Caly 3 or Chap.

I tried the Dragonfly twice. I don't understand the part of the handle where the middle and ring fingers go. It feels like someone cut off a big chunk of the handle right there. It's way too narrow there to offer me a comfortable grip. That issue has kept me away from this design ever since.

I even find my Spin much more ergonomic, or any of the other knives I mentioned.

But, I feel the same way as the Delica, another extremely popular model. The handle never worked for me for different reasons, and if I want a knife in that size range I'd go with the Native.
:unicorn
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

Mmm I see where you are coming from and to the casual user they could fill the same space, to us nerds however...
It’s my opinion that the FRN Chappy supersedes the standard FRN d’Fly in that the steels better and the construction is better HOWEVER the G10 d’fly Is the exception.
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

The Dragonfly offers one of the best tip control in all folders I've tried. It is pointy and being short gives it a great advantage for some tasks like piercing chestnuts :D
Like many before already stated there's a salt version of the dragonfly and none in the chaparral, this is also another advantage for many of us.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

The chap doesn’t do anything for me. In fact the whole nativesque line is not for me. I need my bumps.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I have 2 Chaps, and still haven’t really warmed up to them. I have 10 or so Dflies, and just got another in SE. That’s all I have to say. :cool:
- best wishes, Jazz.
kodai78
Location: “Beam me up Scotty, there’s no intelligent life down here.”

Post by kodai78 »

If you like the hump, the Dragonfly is for you. If you prefer humpless the Chapparal is for you. My first Dragonfly 2 has ZDP 189 steel, certainly competitive with CTS XHP. Quality of fit and finish of both my Dfly and Chap is excellent. Every one needs one of each!
:spyder: Shaman REX 45, Smock, Baby Jess Horn CE, Spydiechef, Schempp Bowie,Ti Fluted Military, Titanium Military, Native S30 V and G10, PM 2 in S35VN, and S110V, Manix 2 LW BD1 and SPY 27, Sage 5, Positron black CPM S30V, Chaparral w/Raffir Noble scales, SuperLeaf VG 10, Ladybug H1, Dragonfly 2 in ZDP 189 and Superblue/420J1 and H1, Delica in ZDP 189, Clipitool Standard, the Cook’s knife VG10, Santoku, paring and utility knives, all in MBS 26. :spyder:
Eli Chaps

Post by Eli Chaps »

I own both a D'fly 2 and a Chap LW and I say no. As similar as they are, for me, they fill different roles. The Chap is often my EDC. It's a little bigger in overall size and blade so I find it a little more versatile for carry than the D'fly. But, the D'fly is lives in the bowl-o-junk beside my chair and gets used almost daily for general cuttin'-stuff duties. It's like a utility knife for me. The orange handle means I can find it pretty easily amongst the eyglass-cloth, dog's toenail snips, pens, candy, etc...

I love the Dragonfly!

I like the Chap too but if this knife was redesigned to not have a finger choil (move the handle forward), then it would be truly amazing and the Dragonfly might just then become obsolete for me.

But, as it is, even though I carry the Chap more, I would give it up before the Dragonfly.

Holland

Post by Holland »

Jazz wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:28 pm
I have 2 Chaps, and still haven’t really warmed up to them. I have 10 or so Dflies, and just got another in SE. That’s all I have to say. :cool:
I have the same amount of chaparrals and dragonflies as you haha :D
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Holland wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:20 pm

Right on. I know that you actually use your Chaps. I’ve seen pics. ;)
- best wishes, Jazz.
Holland

Post by Holland »

Jazz wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:39 pm
Holland wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:20 pm

Right on. I know that you actually use your Chaps. I’ve seen pics. ;)
I like the chaparral a lot, and I begged for an frn chaparral years ago as I wanted a dragonfly with an internal stop pin. But I got over the lock rock concept and I like the dragonfly better than the chaparral. It helps that the dragonfly comes in a variety of different steels :D

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=59968
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
likethevegetable

Post by likethevegetable »

To me, it is. I started out with a DF2, then got a Ladybug, then the Chap. I sold the DF2 because when I wanted to carry a mini-knife, the LB3 was better. When I wanted to carry a normal-sized knife, the Chap was superior. It just didn't really have a place for me once I had the Chap and LB, it was stuck in between. Plus the ergos were never as natural as the other two. I still highly respect the design of the knife and think it was the perfect first Spyderco for me.
Ngati Pom

Post by Ngati Pom »

I have one of each. I purchased the Chappie before the D'fly and never considered them as competition for each other. I see them as complementary to one another.
'The future is already here;it's just not evenly distributed'
William Gibson
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I do still like the Dragonfly very much. I have 6! There are times when it is a better choice. However, the Chaparral LW, being basically the same closed size, with a better lock, and a longer blade gets more pocket time, these days. The wider and longer blade make my daily apple eating a lot easier, for certain. Now, if Spyderco would condescend to give us a Salt version, that would be pretty sweet, as well.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
cwp

Post by cwp »

The Chaparral won't make the Dragonfly obsolete until the blade length limit for government facilities rises to 2.8". It might not even then, but as of now there is a not-insignificant number of people for whom the Chaparral isn't an option for EDC.

Even with the 2.5" blade length limit the Dragonfly isn't my favorite choice, but I'd say it continues to enjoy a niche due to its high performance at a low price. For instance, I think the Rhino is a really sweet knife, but it's twice the cost of a basic Dragonfly. Same thing with the L'il Native -- it's great, but it's twice the price. I like the Meerkat, but even when people were blowing out the HAP40 sprint run at fire-sale prices the Dragonfly was still cheaper (and offered a bigger blade). The One-Eyed Jack is stunning, but it's a $250 knife. I'm not sure there's any sub-2.5" blade in the FRN Dragonfly price range that's nearly as good a knife.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

cwp wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:26 am
The Chaparral won't make the Dragonfly obsolete until the blade length limit for government facilities rises to 2.8". It might not even then, but as of now there is a not-insignificant number of people for whom the Chaparral isn't an option for EDC.

Even with the 2.5" blade length limit the Dragonfly isn't my favorite choice, but I'd say it continues to enjoy a niche due to its high performance at a low price. For instance, I think the Rhino is a really sweet knife, but it's twice the cost of a basic Dragonfly. Same thing with the L'il Native -- it's great, but it's twice the price. I like the Meerkat, but even when people were blowing out the HAP40 sprint run at fire-sale prices the Dragonfly was still cheaper (and offered a bigger blade). The One-Eyed Jack is stunning, but it's a $250 knife. I'm not sure there's any sub-2.5" blade in the FRN Dragonfly price range that's nearly as good a knife.
I’m not picking on you. Everyone has their reasons for the knives they prefer, but for me at least, judging knives primarily on comparative price is limiting and discounts factors like design, construction and materials.

I think the Dragonfly is a superbly designed knife maximizing the uses and ergonomics of a small knife. I also think it’s design has been surpassed in many ways by both the Rhino and the Chaparral for reasons previously discussed here. Improved design, materials and construction will cost more. You can get a Tenacious or a Polestar for considerably less than a Para Military 2 but they are not equivalent knives and people demonstrably pay more for higher quality things.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

I only have the Ti chaparral so my Hap40 Dragonfly feels significantly different and sufficiently distinct. I would probably feel the same with a frn Chaparral and G10 Dragonfly combination, but frn versions of them both, I don’t know.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

To be honest, I think if other Spyderco knife was going to negatively impact Dragonfly sales, it would be the Robin II.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
SG89

Post by SG89 »

The df2 hawkbill is so wonderful. Punches wayyyy above its weight
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb