Would you prefer if Spyderco boxes were improved in any way?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Would you prefer if Spyderco boxes were stronger or improved in any ways?

Yes
14%
Yes, but only if it would not effect the overall prices by very much.
8%
No
78%

Total votes: 77

Tucson Tom

Re: Would you prefer if Spyderco boxes were improved in any way?

Post by Tucson Tom »

Has anyone actually received an order where the knife itself was damaged? I hear stories about boxes being damaged, but that is why they are there. Hey, it is just a box. I guess there a compulsive disorder collector types that want an original immaculate box, it takes all kinds.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I'd rather not pay more for a box I don't even use. I did a cleanse years ago on all boxes I didn't need. If it's a new spare knife I'll keep it in the box but I don't keep boxes for users. This is definitely an issue spyderco isn't responsible for. The sellers need to take more care in packaging. I can't recall getting a poorly packaged knife in some time. Every seller I've dealt with has made sure the knife is secure and doesn't move around. I find that when I buy from an individual they take extra care to ensure everything is packaged securely. I've had sellers go as far as to pack Styrofoam peanuts in the knife box so the knife doesn't move in transit.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:31 am
Hey, it is just a box.
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Mystery Flavor

Post by Mystery Flavor »

VashHash wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:55 am
I've had sellers go as far as to pack Styrofoam peanuts in the knife box so the knife doesn't move in transit.
If that is a beneficial thing for shipping a Spyderco (which I think it is) wouldn't it be kind of fair to say that step maybe should have been taken by Spyderco themselves, rather than the seller adding their own padding inside the knife box?

I don't mean specifically using peanuts like you said, but just using some kind of foam or padding to fill the void in the boxes.
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

I wish they would fold down flat for easier storage. I have too many and having trouble making room for them all.
I know, first world problems.
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

Nope. The only things the boxes are useful for is reselling, and storing knives. Heck I'd be fine with no boxes if it took a bit off the price.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Halfneck wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:47 pm
Nope. The only things the boxes are useful for is reselling, and storing knives. Heck I'd be fine with no boxes if it took a bit off the price.
That is exactly my point.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

BornIn1500 wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:25 am
SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:03 pm

That is absolutely disgusting of them to do this and it is an inhumane and vicious violation of your rights and freedoms.

I guess some people would rather have illegal drugs trafficked into their country than have a Spyderco box ripped a little. :D
Nope. My point on this is that it is important to have customs people to protect a nation but when they start damaging personal property and classing knives as "dangerous weapons" they have gone too far and are violating the rights and freedoms of people. Maybe Spyderco can make boxes from some form of durable rubber material instead of cardboard, and then that would solve the problem.
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

I don't keep any boxes, they are cut to pieces by the Spydie they contain more often than not :p and also I've never ever had a Spyderco come damaged, chipped, scratched or anything in its box, even though on occasion I've received crushed, broken, torn or ripped Spyderco boxes :o
vilePossum

Post by vilePossum »

Nope, the packaging is fine and the issue of the op is not a packaging issue.
I would rather have it that they spend money on manufacturing and development etc than packaging which is perfectly sufficient IMHO. That is of course only my opinion.
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

Along with the usual Spyderco box, knives from any reputable seller typically arrive enclosed in a reasonably sturdy mailing box/package with a layer of padding.. I can't imagine any realistic scenario in which the actual knife would be damaged during shipping due to its packaging (or lack thereof).. except maybe, idk, if it were run over by the mail truck..

Seems to me, more than anything, this is a case of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
Mystery Flavor

Post by Mystery Flavor »

I agree. In the cases I was thinking of the responsibility most always falls on the shoulders of the distributor/seller to make sure it is packaged well enough for shipping. There are other factors sometimes.

I guess I was partly just wondering if Spyderco is aware that some of their distributors are doing a pretty poor job with packing for shipping to the customer. I was somewhat jumping to the idea that if only Spyderco maybe changed their boxes to be stronger that there would be less worry of how ever badly a distributor chooses to pack things.

Hope that helps make sense where I was coming from.

The only actual product damage I have dealt with of a Spyderco is with the Sharpmaker. It was packaged poorly in the shipping box and by the time it was delivered to me the 2 brown medium triangles were badly chipped on both ends through the plastic clamshell package Spyderco uses. I did get it replaced by the seller, but the more I thought about it I thought it was a strange choice on Spyderco's part. They could sell the Sharpmaker with all the pieces inside the black container and have lid on so it is fully secure and safer. Rather than the ceramic triangles exposed like they are. They probably chose what they did so a person can see the packaging and be more intrigued to buy it, but that only really matters to a customer physically in a store. Most Sharpmakers are undoubtedly sold online and shipped.

I'm pretty sure that last bit is a really really good idea. lol :D
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

There's only so much a company can do when they aren't shipping products direct to consumers. The seller should be held accountable for bad shipping practices.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

I also think this is not a Spyderco packaging issue — the box — but a shipping issue that is the responsibility of the seller-shipper.

The idea that a knife can be damaged because of the inadequacy of Spyderco boxes is unrealistic. If the knife were shipped only in Spyderco’s box, then yes. But it is not.

Spyderco is not responsible for a reseller’s shipping practices. The market should correct that by loss of sales.

Sometimes I keep the box, sometimes I don’t. If a buyer wants to pay less for one of my knives because it doesn’t come with the box, I sell it to someone else.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation