Manix2 4v marbled carbon fiber exclusive

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Peacedivision

Re: Manix2 4v marbled carbon fiber exclusive

Post by Peacedivision »

SSD_777 wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:35 am
Fradon Lock is on Ebay. If you use today's Ebay coupon PICKSOON before 6 PM Pacific time, you can score this knife for $178.47. Search the model number to find the listing. (C101MCFP2)
They still have a couple Nirvanas in stock, 15% off makes that kind of tempting
supracor

Post by supracor »

bchan wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:36 am
I cannot understand people's complaints about the hollow grind. Given a good steel such as 4V, does the hollow grind really impact the cutting performance in any meaningful way? Not meaning to provoke an argument, just curious.

Geometry cuts, not steel.

You can have the best heat treat of the world, but without a good grind you have only a fantastically heat treated prybar.
ferider

Post by ferider »

I have many flat grinds, so it will be very nice to have a second sabre hollow grind in the rotation, for some useful applications. And the fact that the two HG knives use tough CPM M4 (GB2) and CPM 4V will increase my confidence in using them. Very excited about this one being in the mail.

Roland.
BIGSTRETCH

Post by BIGSTRETCH »

supracor wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:19 am
bchan wrote:
I cannot understand people's complaints about the hollow grind. Given a good steel such as 4V, does the hollow grind really impact the cutting performance in any meaningful way? Not meaning to provoke an argument, just curious.

You can have the best heat treat of the world, but without a good grind you have only a fantastically heat treated prybar.

That's the argument *for* a Hollow Grind.
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

BIGSTRETCH wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:48 am
supracor wrote:
bchan wrote:

Exactly! I am honestly surprised that we don't see more hollow grinds. There may be a prejudice against them because they look "old school", but when it comes to what is going on at the edge, it seems to me that they have what we want -- and you get a nice transition to a stout blade for the people who want to abuse their knife like a pry-bar. My only knife with a hollow grind was a Benchmade griptillian with the hole and it served me well.
BIGSTRETCH

Post by BIGSTRETCH »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:52 am
BIGSTRETCH wrote:
supracor wrote:
bchan wrote:

Exactly! I am honestly surprised that we don't see more hollow grinds. There may be a prejudice against them because they look "old school", but when it comes to what is going on at the edge, it seems to me that they have what we want -- and you get a nice transition to a stout blade for the people who want to abuse their knife like a pry-bar. My only knife with a hollow grind was a Benchmade griptillian with the hole and it served me well.

People are obsessed with toughness, a little too much so for small folders imo, and FFG just became fashionable whether they plan to use the knife or not. The irony is that HG is particularly good for those who do actually plan to use and sharpen the knife. They stay slicey and the blade will not need thinning over time. I'd love to see some more high hollow grinds, higher than this Manix 2. I've never seen anyone look at a Chris Reeve's and say Eww, hollow grind!"
Last edited by BIGSTRETCH on Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lumpy620

Post by Lumpy620 »

abbazaba wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:55 am
Manix2 4v marbled carbon fiber exclusive for $179 after Ebay coupon PICKSOON

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Spyderco-Exclu ... 1027!US!-1

Credit to SSD_777

http://www.spyderco.com/forumII/viewtop ... 0#p1268686
SSD_777 wrote:
Fradon Lock is on Ebay. If you use today's Ebay coupon PICKSOON before 6 PM Pacific time, you can score this knife for $178.47. Search the model number to find the listing. (C101MCFP2)
Cheers gentleman for pointing this out, pulled the trigger... Looking at all that's been said about the steel throughout the forums, and the marbled carbon fiber, this has the potential to knock this one out the pocket, which is my most carried Manix:
IMG_20180927_145736.jpg
BIGSTRETCH

Post by BIGSTRETCH »

Lumpy620 wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:12 pm
abbazaba wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:55 am
Manix2 4v marbled carbon fiber exclusive for $179 after Ebay coupon PICKSOON

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Spyderco-Exclu ... 1027!US!-1

Credit to SSD_777

http://www.spyderco.com/forumII/viewtop ... 0#p1268686
SSD_777 wrote:
Cheers gentleman for pointing this out, pulled the trigger... Looking at all that's been said about the steel throughout the forums, and the marbled carbon fiber, this has the potential to knock this one out the pocket, which is my most carried Manix:

IMG_20180927_145736.jpg

Nice! I'm in too. Thx to Abbazaba and SSD_777 for letting us know it was on the bay. The Ultimate Manix 2, and I can stomach this price much more easily.
supracor

Post by supracor »

BIGSTRETCH wrote:

No.

A sabre hollow grind like this is all the time worse than a ffg.The more low the sabre grind the worse the geometry, moreover the hollow grind sticks in materials.

A full hollow grind won't be an improvement over a ffg, and no, a hollow doesn't cut better than every other grind.
JackofAllBlades

Post by JackofAllBlades »

You guys ever heard downtown by Macklemore?

178 cash thats a helluva DEAL!
im headed
downtown
walkin with my manix!
Hollow grind,
need to take a xanax!
Deep clip,
only way I manage!
Carbon fiber,
Had to take advantage!
BigGrove

Post by BigGrove »

SSD_777 wrote:
Making it the price that Fradon should have been asking to start with. $210 is too high in my opinion.
Ian80

Post by Ian80 »

I’m pumped about this one! Thanks for the heads up on the coupon or else I may not have jumped on this. Sweet looking combo for sure!
Slash

Post by Slash »

JackofAllBlades wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:12 pm
You guys ever heard downtown by Macklemore?

178 cash thats a helluva DEAL!
im headed
downtown
walkin with my manix!
Hollow grind,
need to take a xanax!
Deep clip,
only way I manage!
Carbon fiber,
Had to take advantage!
Lol
Slash

Post by Slash »

supracor wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:39 pm
BIGSTRETCH wrote:

No.

A sabre hollow grind like this is all the time worse than a ffg.The more low the sabre grind the worse the geometry, moreover the hollow grind sticks in materials.

A full hollow grind won't be an improvement over a ffg, and no, a hollow doesn't cut better than every other grind.
Really? So, if I decide to slit my own throat do you think geometry is gonna be my savor???
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

SSD_777 wrote:
Dang! I'm not sure whether to thank you or blame you for my depleted bank account balance. But I'll thank you. This worked like a charm and pushed me over the edge on this one -- I was going to let it slide until this and YOU came along. ;)

A lot of appealing things here. It is a Manix, number 1 (not a back lock, but ....). An interesting steel, my first 4V for sure. And a hollow ground blade, which is a plus for me, no matter what folks say, and that makes it unique among the Manix crowd, and probably my only HG Spyderco. And a very attractive CF material that I have never seen before -- I should try to track some of that stuff down for Mule Team handles.

Thanks !!
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

BIGSTRETCH wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:07 pm
I've never seen anyone look at a Chris Reeve's and say Eww, hollow grind!"
Now that is an interesting point. I just wandered over to the Chris Reeve's website and indeed, many (most?) of his knives are hollow ground.
The price and the stud both conspire to keep me from owning one of his knives, but he is no pilgrim and it is a valuable data point to know
that his highly respected knives are hollow ground.
WireEdge Roger

Post by WireEdge Roger »

I used the original Manix 2’s with 154CM and HG quite a bit. The current HG isn’t too bad in use. I’d like it a whole lot more if it was a high hollow, like a CRK. A high hollow ground on a big wheel gives the benefits of FFG and HG. The best of both worlds.
KnickKnackCity

Post by KnickKnackCity »

That didn't last long. Lets do this. I have enough users that I am okay babying these scales even though this is a "working man/woman's" model. They look absolutely gorgeous and I feel like its special enough to have the first example of them out of Golden.
Bile Bob

Post by Bile Bob »

Pelagic wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:32 pm
So true! No love for the manix xl.

Actually the XL has been shown some appreciation in the past..still carry mine regularly..

supracor

Post by supracor »

Slash wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:47 pm
Really? So, if I decide to slit my own throat do you think geometry is gonna be my savor???

You don't need a CPM 4V low saber hollow grind Manix to cut your throat ;)

you just need a piece of sheet metal, an appropriately shaped can or a piece of glass.