Would you prefer if Spyderco boxes were improved in any way?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Would you prefer if Spyderco boxes were stronger or improved in any ways?

Yes
14%
Yes, but only if it would not effect the overall prices by very much.
8%
No
78%

Total votes: 77

Freediver

Re: Would you prefer if Spyderco boxes were improved in any way?

Post by Freediver »

Some extra padding and sturdier cardboard would be nice.
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

I would like to see teakwood, and lined in velvet -- but only if it doesn't add to the price.

Seriously though, as long as the knife gets to me in good shape, I don't mind if the box is a casualty. I do have a box full of spyderco boxes, for some reason. The whole lot will probably get pitched into a dumpster someday when I move, but for now I am keeping them.

And when you think about it, if the bare knife would not make it through postal handling in just a bubble wrap mailer, the knife would have to be a total piece of junk in the first place. With a spyderco box inside a padded bubble mailer, I feel entirely confident of getting my knife in good shape. The real risk would be the knife punching its way out of the bag and getting lost if it wasn't also protected by the box. The current box does the job nicely.

Now what I really want to see is Spyderco putting their knives in clear plastic bags with stapled cardboard at the top with a hole so they can be hung on pegs. Now that would be classy. ;) Drop that into a padded bag and get it on the way. The dealers will love it. A fellow can dream, can't he?

Plain brown cardboard might be a sort of "middle ground" and would have rather a understated "cool" factor.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I like the boxes as is. The only issue I've ever had was the old small blue box with the foil. The foil would shrivel up and fall apart after using it once or twice. Not really a major problem in my life in comparison to... just about any real problem.

How easy we have it when we have the time and energy to consider the smallest things like Spyderco box longevity. :)

joe
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Vivi wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:28 pm
I'd rather have no boxes and pay a few dollars less.
And less crap in the landfill.
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:03 pm

That is absolutely disgusting of them to do this and it is an inhumane and vicious violation of your rights and freedoms.

I guess some people would rather have illegal drugs trafficked into their country than have a Spyderco box ripped a little. :D
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

I demand snack sized Pelican cases for every model with no additional cost!
Also, the winning lottery numbers should be included aswell.

Haha! I'm in the "If it ain't broke." category.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
PineChaos

Post by PineChaos »

Actually the boxes that are currently shipping with some Japanese made models are much improved over the old ones. These new boxes no longer say Made in China or made with recyclable material. Side of the box says Made in Japan. They are sturdier and just nicer quality overall. The Golden models also lost "Made in China" but still say printed with recyclable material. They seem about the same quality as the old Chinese ones.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I think the issue has more to do with the retailer in question. even with sturdier packaging, you'd surely not want to see the box dinged up, so you'd prefer to have it shipped properly.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

I'd be fine with a thick plastic baggie

The only thing that slightly bothers me is knives that are slightly too thick for the box
timlara

Post by timlara »

I like the current iteration of the boxes just fine. They are much improved over boxes from 10-15 years ago, or whenever the last major generation was. I like that they slide as opposed to having tabs that you have to open, as it makes it easier to keep them in pristine condition for that "trial period" where I'm deciding if I like a new knife or not. Then, if I decide to sell the knife later, I can be sure that I'll have a nice box to go with it.

The only negative I can really come up with is that they could maybe use one more size with a deeper (taller?) tray for certain models that have thicker than normal handles. In those cases, the thickness of the knife + the clip + foam + paperwork can sometimes be a tight squeeze in the standard boxes...but it's pretty rare and a pretty minor issue. (edit: On the flip side, I respect the decision that Spyderco seems to try not to be wasteful and ship knives in boxes that are WAY too big, like some other brands do. Definitely a balancing act.)

Other than that, I agree with the sentiment of most others here, that the issue of damage to the boxes is the responsibility of the vendor. I guarantee it's got to be rare for Spyderco to ship damaged boxes to their dealers, so 99/100 times the problem comes down to lazy packing by the dealer for shipments to customers. As far as I can recall, all the major dealers I've dealt with (BHQ, KnifeWorks, Cutlery Shoppe, DLT, etc) all ship in boxes rather than padded envelopes and I've had zero issues. (The only exception I can think of might be the tiny knives like Ladybugs, which may have been shipped in envelopes...I can't recall.)
Last edited by timlara on Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tim
timlara

Post by timlara »

Tim
timlara

Post by timlara »

Tim
WireEdge Roger

Post by WireEdge Roger »

I’m good with the currrent design. They serve their purpose and stack well in my designated closet space.
BigGrove

Post by BigGrove »

The slide open boxes are fine.

What I don't like are the boxes with the flaps on the end, such as the Mule comes in. Have to be really careful to not tear the flap when opening.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

I've seen basically all types/brands crushed at this point. The solution is better shipment packing for sure.

If there were any change, I think using a tight bubble wrap bag inside the box (like Taichung) rather than a thin plastic bag (like Golden) would be a good move to ensure safe travel of the knife its self.
Mystery Flavor

Post by Mystery Flavor »

curlyhairedboy wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:59 am
I think the issue has more to do with the retailer in question. even with sturdier packaging, you'd surely not want to see the box dinged up, so you'd prefer to have it shipped properly.
I agree. In the first post I mentioned Spyderco maybe needs to try to better educate their distributors as far as packaging the products go. If there was a list about which distributors do a good job and take care when packaging and which ones seem to not care, that might help some people decide where to buy from for their next purchase.

Over the last 10 years or so I've seen a decline in the quality of how any item is packaged and shipped by a majority of companies. (I don't mean only knives, I mean any product from any brand.) It could seem as if the shipping departments from many companies have been finding every way to do the bare minimum, even if some extra losses will come from that choice.
GarageBoy wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:21 am
The only thing that slightly bothers me is knives that are slightly too thick for the box
This point about some knifes being too thick for their boxes is a good one to bring up. All it would take to damage the knife is if the package was punctured enough to get through the 1mm of cardstock protecting the knife. Could end up with blade scratches or gouges in the handle if the shipping damage was bad.
Mystery Flavor

Post by Mystery Flavor »

Here's a different idea: for only the rarest and more expensive of the Spyderco releases they could use a box with better protection. Or at least use more padding than normal etc.... :)

Take any of the limited releases that have had a small number made and sold out very fast. If you were lucky enough to order one you would probably be extra disappointed if when it arrived the box was all beat up and once you got the knife out you realized whatever poked through the box also managed to damage the knife itself.

In that case you have no way of getting a replacement because they are sold out and it isn't going to be made again. Just try to put yourself in that scenario. It would feel a lot worse than if it was a standard model that can easily be replaced by the vendor.

Even if VERY rare, it does happen. Once it happens to you, you might have a different perspective.

I'm also sorta surprised by the sarcastic comments this topic managed to get. Do any of you deny that if you ever decide to re-sell your knife it is very likely you will be able to get more money if the box is in as good of condition as possible??? :confused: :confused:

I see people selling Spyderco boxes on ebay, just the box, no knife. Clearly most people who own several Spydercos keep the boxes because they realize at least there is the perception that the boxes have a value.
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

I'm fine with the current boxes for the folders. The boxes for the fixed blade knives can be aggravating to open. I've torn a number of these on the end opening them. Would like to see improvement on the design of these as I save the boxes should I resell the knives. They can be opened without damage but it's a pita, bread that is. ;)
sv4

Post by sv4 »

The older gray boxes (with spider web pattern) used 10 or so years ago, before the change to the current red & black boxes, were sturdier. They used thicker card stock and tend to arrive in better condition. But some still had the problem with the black painted clips having paint worn off by abrasion against the inside of the box due to movement during shipping. If the knife was placed with the clip consistently facing downwards, against the foam, or if an additional layer of foam sheet was placed over the knife, then it would be fine. In fact, an additional layer of foam placed over the knife (for thin knives) would also solve the problem of the knife moving around inside the box during shipping.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I must not be very observant. I have bought, sold, kept and given away I'd guess 500 or more and I can't even once recall any damage from packaging or shipment to the knife itself even when the box was crushed. It's a complete non issue to me. I must have a lucky streak going. I really don't care what they put the knife in to be honest but I do keep the original boxes even when damaged. When selling I wouldn't take one cent less for a new knife with a damaged box. I also wouldn't pay one cent more for a perfect box nor an upgraded one. We are all different people to be sure. :)

Joe