FRN Worker LW Salt in H1??

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
steelcity16

FRN Worker LW Salt in H1??

Post by steelcity16 »

To me the Worker is the classic Spyderco. It was their first knife and the one that started it all. The latest G10 Sprint was very nice,
but the cost of G10 models out of Seki is too high and sales suffered. The lined G10 also made this a heavy knife for its small size. I feel like we need a new modern take on this classic design.

I'm thinking we need an FRN Worker LW Salt. FRN would allow many Spyder newbies to experience this amazing blade design in an affordable, lightweight, rustproof package.

An FRN Worker LW Salt in H1 would really be the ultimate modern upgrade to the original classic design. TiCN coated PE and SE H1 blades tucked into some black bidirectional FRN scales would be amazing. Add Torx screw construction and a deep carry wire clip (skip the lanyard hole or make its placement secondary to the deep carry clip placement) to really bring this design up to match what most people want to see these days.

The worker blade shape is a very functional and useful shape that I really love, but I just didnt like the weight of the G10 in a package that small. I would EDC a Worker Salt for sure though.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Evil D

Re: FRN Worker LW Salt in H1??

Post by Evil D »

I'd buy this over a Delica every time but it's probably too similar to the Salt 2. It would be interesting to have a Worker blade with the pointy tip in SE/H1.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:36 am
I'd buy this over a Delica every time but it's probably too similar to the Salt 2. It would be interesting to have a Worker blade with the pointy tip in SE/H1.

Similar size but the blade shape is very unique. The pointy tip is fantastic for all types of stuff and H1's propensity to bend rather than break is perfect for a tip that is going to be used.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

steelcity16 wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:58 am
Evil D wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:36 am

Similar size but the blade shape is very unique. The pointy tip is fantastic for all types of stuff and H1's propensity to bend rather than break is perfect for a tip that is going to be used.
My main interest is in the grip, the Worker grip doesn't have the fingef grooves like the Delica and Salt 2, but FRN molds are apparently very expensive so there has to be a lot of interest and justification to risk it financially.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

I would prefer G10 and LC200N, but I don't know that I would like the price. I'd still buy it. This would atleast eliminate the frn mold cost.

No TiCN please or atleast give the option. I've tried to like coated blades, but I just don't.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

Would get any Worker in FRN but not sure about H1, would prefer LC200N or just VG10.
For H1 I think it also would have too much competition in the Salt 2.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Lightweight and VG10, yes.
- best wishes, Jazz.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Want to revisit this. I wonder if any of the existing FRN molds in Japan would accommodate a Worker blade?? I would LOVE an H1 Worker Salt LW in both PE and SE! Such a great blade. The G10 was a bit heavy for me for a small folder, but a LW would be incredible! I mean if they are going to bring out something like a Waved Dfly, I can't imagine a Worker LW Salt being that far of a stretch. It would be an amazing homage to the model that started it all! I'd be open to LC200N as well if that is the direction new Salt models are heading. But H1 is preferred for me in this model.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

I was working on a project today and found myself wishing I still had my Worker. That strong pointy tip would have been perfect.
We REALLY need a Worker LW. Please make this happen!! Don't let this masterpiece of blade design be forgotten!!
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

steelcity16 wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:43 pm
I was working on a project today and found myself wishing I still had my Worker. That strong pointy tip would have been perfect.
We REALLY need a Worker LW. Please make this happen!! Don't let this masterpiece of blade design be forgotten!!
Get a para3 lw and get after it with a grinder! Someone here is nodding a rex45 para3 and it looks like it’s headed to worker territory with the blade shape.