Chaparral Fake?

A place to list and reference all Spyderco counterfeits, clones, and replicas that are found. Anything that isn't a legitimate Spyderco fits in this area.
ceast

Chaparral Fake?

Post by ceast »

Picked this up a Chaparral frn from Amazon the other day and noticed a couple things that have me concerned it could be a fake.
Box was not wrapped in plastic, just scotch taped at the end.

May be using the wrong term here for a folder, but the blade base that bolts into the pivot (tang?) has a brass coloration where it's "bedded in" against the lockbar during opening/closing. Is this normal after some use or a sign of something else.

The Deacon

Re: Chaparral Fake?

Post by The Deacon »

AFAIK, Spyderco only puts the knife itself in a plastic bag, sometimes a plain clear plastic bag, sometimes a mini-bubble wrap bag. They don't wrap boxes in plastic or seal them closed with tape. However, some sellers may do one or the other of those things. Some knives show a brownish discoloration on areas that were laser cut. Beyond that, it's impossible to say for sure if your knife is genuine or fake. Amazon has been know to sell both. On the bright side, if you're not completely sure it's real, send it back and get one from a legitimate knife dealer. From what I'm seeing Amazon is charging the same prices as New Graham, Knife Center, Knifeworks, and a slew of other reputable dealers.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
ceast

Post by ceast »

Thanks much, very helpful. I was using up an Amazon gift card, otherwise I would of grabbed one from a normal dealer.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

The line on the surface area of the tang is from the lock bar rubbing on it and is completely normal (IMO). It's usually from lube or debris and can be wiped off.

Whether or not your Chaparral LW is a fake is hard to say. It's hard to tell from the one pic. If it makes you feel any better, I've not heard of any fake Chaparral LWs or any Chaparrals for that matter.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Rpp

Post by Rpp »

Spyderco’s Kristi confirmed that some retailers do request wrapped boxes. Others use tape. Some add nothing.

Normally knockoffs will show up on Alibaba or eBay first. Never seen a chaparral FRN fake there.
ceast

Post by ceast »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:32 pm
The line on the surface area of the tang is from the lock bar rubbing on it and is completely normal (IMO). It's usually from lube or debris and can be wiped off.

Whether or not your Chaparral LW is a fake is hard to say. It's hard to tell from the one pic. If it makes you feel any better, I've not heard of any fake Chaparral LWs or any Chaparrals for that matter.
Great, that was my thinking as well. Had figured it would appear more polished rather than a brownish polish. I couldn't wipe it off, which just made me a little concerned it was a fake, but after hearing from a few folks here I'm pretty sure it's the real deal, perhaps just opened a closed a few times before making its way to me.
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

The Deacon wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:31 pm
Beyond that, it's impossible to say for sure if your knife is genuine or fake. Amazon has been know to sell both.

Fakes from Amazon directly ("sold & shipped by") or from one of the 3rd party sellers? That makes a big difference.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

BornIn1500 wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:13 pm
The Deacon wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:31 pm
Beyond that, it's impossible to say for sure if your knife is genuine or fake. Amazon has been know to sell both.

Fakes from Amazon directly ("sold & shipped by") or from one of the 3rd party sellers? That makes a big difference.

All three - sold and shipped by Amazon, sold by "X" and shipped by Amazon, and sold and shipped by a 3rd party seller. And it's not just Spyderco, and not just knives. Amazon tends to buy everything they sell from the cheapest source, and the cheapest source is sometimes cheapest because it's selling counterfeit goods.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
ZAGS09

Post by ZAGS09 »

I just wanted to check in and see if any Chaparral Fakes have been seen over the last year? My wife bought me one for my birthday and she got it off Amazon via third party seller (Hardware Sales Inc.). They seem legitimate and nothing about the knife seems off. However I have a pretty large distrust of Amazon for my knife purchasing. On the flip side I don't want come off as un-appreciative to my wife and send it back out of "principle" just to buy it from a reputable dealer. Thanks in advance!
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

Hi, ZAGS09:
Welcome to our forum. Hardware Sales, Inc. is an authorized Spyderco dealer, so you shouldn't have anything to worry about. Hardware Sales ships directly (meaning they don't use Amazon's warehouses) so there is no concern for co-mingled inventory. Enjoy your Chaparral!

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
ZAGS09

Post by ZAGS09 »

Thanks Kristi good to know. I checked the dealer locator and couldn't find them. Glad to hear it's the real chap because I'm loving it and didn't want to have to send it back!