Dfly Rehab

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Hgwxx7

Dfly Rehab

Post by Hgwxx7 »

Hey everyone! I picked up this user HAP40 Dfly for a decent price, but it's in kind of rough shape. The scales need a good cleaning, any suggestions?

Also, there seems to be a chip in the backlock. Is my best bet to send it into Spyderco for some spa treatment?
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
Stay Golden :spyder:
cabfrank

Re: Dfly Rehab

Post by cabfrank »

A toothbrush will work well on the scales. Does the chip cause any functional issues? It doesn't look like it would. I don't think it would be a warranty issue either way. Nice knife!
Hgwxx7

Post by Hgwxx7 »

Thank you! Correct doesn't seem like a functional issue. Anything in particular with the brush? Soap and water? Something stronger?
Hgwxx7

Post by Hgwxx7 »

Update! There is a small chip, perhaps .5mm in the base of the edge near the choil. I have a standard sharpmaker. Will medium stones at 20 degrees work the chip out?
attila

Post by attila »

I recommend 15° for HAP40, but that'd take longer to do the job.

Is the chip 0.5mm in length or depth? Do you have the CBN or diamond rods?
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
Hgwxx7

Post by Hgwxx7 »

attila wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:41 pm
I recommend 15° for HAP40, but that'd take longer to do the job.

Is the chip 0.5mm in length or depth? Do you have the CBN or diamond rods?

Hey Atilla! It's .5mm in length. Depth is a fraction a mm. I just have the standard CBN medium and fine rods that come with the SM, and plenty of time to work it at 15!
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Dish soap and water should do, not too wet.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I would avoid the corners of the Sharpmaker when dealing with a chip, they seem to just sharpen the chip and create a little mini serration of sorts. If you stay on the flats you should be able to sharpen it out with a little effort.

Cleaning wise I've had good luck with dish soap and a toothbrush but just about any soap and a brush will clean FRN. Barkeeper's Friend and a brush will get it done too.

As for the lock bar chip I have no idea how you'd even do that.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Hgwxx7

Post by Hgwxx7 »

Evil D wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:40 pm
Haha I was wondering the same thing! The only thing I can think of was that he was mid-deploying the blade and dropped it on its back so the bar was exposed and chipped but the edge/tip were fine.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Hgwxx7 wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:46 pm
Evil D wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:40 pm
Haha I was wondering the same thing! The only thing I can think of was that he was mid-deploying the blade and dropped it on its back so the bar was exposed and chipped but the edge/tip were fine.

I wonder if it's not a defect, seems like maybe it could have happened during a hard opening.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Eli Chaps

Post by Eli Chaps »

That side shot freaks me out because my backlock is clearly visible above the FRN. If the dent wasn't there and the metal line was constant, it would essentially be a continuation of the handle arc.

Is that just something with the picture?
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Eli Chaps wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:05 pm
That side shot freaks me out because my backlock is clearly visible above the FRN. If the dent wasn't there and the metal line was constant, it would essentially be a continuation of the handle arc.

I noticed that earlier. I figured it was cropped out of the pic for some reason or they took the pic with lock bar out of the knife.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

You can save weight on your Dfly if you get it from a totally offical supplier the county of of whose origin I won’t speculate on...
awa54

Post by awa54 »

Eli Chaps wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:05 pm

Looks like a crop that was done with edge detection, the detection threshold was set too low and the shiny lockbar was cropped out of the image area.

But I can't be certain...
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
Hgwxx7

Post by Hgwxx7 »

LOL I promise this isn't the LW model. It must have been the angle or as others have suggested the edge detection.

The scales cleaned up really nicely and I was able to work the chip out using the medium rods on 15. I followed it up with fine rods and some newspapers stropping. I'll upload an after picture when I can get some natural light to better show it off!
Attachments
IMG_3782.JPG
Hgwxx7

Post by Hgwxx7 »

Here is an after shot. Pardon the poor lighting!
Attachments
IMG_3788.JPG