Overturning of Knife Restrictions

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Accutronman

Overturning of Knife Restrictions

Post by Accutronman »

Interesting article from today’s Washington Post on the movement to overturn knife restrictions:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business ... 018/09/15/
Accutronman

Re: Overturning of Knife Restrictions

Post by Accutronman »

Let’s see if this link works better than the one I put in the original post:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business ... ba057ea7d3
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Well, it's promising at least that the article recognizes the bipartisan support...

comments section is lively as well.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
snapshot2017

Post by snapshot2017 »

I don't read the washingtonpost their liberal controlled news reports are always slanted and worthless.

What would help to get knife laws changed the people that have companies making knives in their states, like for example Spyderco would get their state of Colorado to stop forcing their citizens to obtain a firearm concealed carry permit to carry an automatic knife.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Omigosh, what a great idea! Why didn’t Spyderco think of using their immense political clout to further the cause of knife rights???
ejcr98

Post by ejcr98 »

Good piece. Thanks for putting it up in the forum. I didn’t know about Knife Rights but will look into them. The knife laws were I live are really restrictive but unclear at the same time. They essentially prohibit the carrying of any knife unless you have a legitimate reason for carrying it but what a legitimate reason for carrying a knife is is not defined anywhere.
snapshot2017

Post by snapshot2017 »

ejcr98 wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:15 am
Good piece. Thanks for putting it up in the forum. I didn’t know about Knife Rights but will look into them. The knife laws were I live are really restrictive but unclear at the same time. They essentially prohibit the carrying of any knife unless you have a legitimate reason for carrying it but what a legitimate reason for carrying a knife is is not defined anywhere.
And just who has a legitimate reason to carry a knife? the people i think who are making these decisions are people who have 24/7 protection or have handguns they carry with them every day as police officers.

As for the rest of us were on our own.
lonerider1013

Post by lonerider1013 »

A legitimate reason? How about I may need it...
A knife is like a helmet or a seatbelt, you can have it on all the time and never USE it, but the one time you need to use it, if you don't have it, you're screwed.
I carry a knife as a tool, not a weapon, but that said it's saved my bacon several times from mishaps. The only time I went without was when I worked at a courthouse in college; I left it in the car because of the metal scanners. Would probably not choose to work in a job again where I could not carry one.
"A fool's blade may be sharper than his brain"
“Learn to ride a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live." - Mark Twain
Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

Thanks in no small part to Knife Rights and in particular, Doug Ritter.

If you are not a member/supporter please consider joining and supporting their efforts. Even of your state doesn't have draconian knife laws, we still have a Federal law against automatic knives that is not only silly and ill conceived, is raciest in its origin.
Have you joined Knife Rights yet?
Go to: http://www.KnifeRights.org
Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

snapshot2017 wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:25 am
I don't read the washingtonpost their liberal controlled news reports are always slanted and worthless.

What would help to get knife laws changed the people that have companies making knives in their states, like for example Spyderco would get their state of Colorado to stop forcing their citizens to obtain a firearm concealed carry permit to carry an automatic knife.
One man's slanted and worthless is another's truth.... Let's keep that out of this

I really wish that everyone can understand that an auto is no more dangerous than an assisted opener or even a manual... It's such a stupid law
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I'm really glad that there have been people bringing this subject matter up here at Spyderville as well as two other forums I've been seeing it at. Because the right to own, carry, and use knives is actually a vital part of our Second Amendment of the USA Constitution. Many people think that segment of our Constitution mainly focuses on firearms but no it goes beyond that.

When I was just a kid growing up in the 1960s & 70s the tone was completely different where I live at. Even when I was in Elementary school I often carried a pocket knife of some sort to school all the time. And I wasn't the only kid who did it either. The town I grew up in was at the time still considered a farming community and the environment was quite different than it is today.

But no, the constitutional right of carrying and using knives is truly a vital part of our Second Amendment just as firearms use and ownership are. Now I do believe that with personal rights also bears responsibility. So please be wise with your uses of knives and firearms. Here lately where I've been working and volunteering at I've not received any negative comments at all concerning my carrying and using knives>> things have calmed down and gotten better. But we knife and gun fans MUST be considerate and responsible and always make safety a high priority.
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

one persons right to arms vs another’s to not be shot, mmm tricky one..
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Well this is going downhill fast...

My contribution is simple -

“If you don’t read the newspaper you are uninformed, if you do read the newspaper you are misinformed.”
Basically, they’re all full of it.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Doug Ritter deserves huge props for all the work he's put into this effort.
Joshua J.

Post by Joshua J. »

Daveho wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:05 pm
The right to arms IS the right to not be shot.
At this point we almost would have been better off if the Cold War had gotten a little warmer.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Joshua J. wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:54 pm
At this point we almost would have been better off if the Cold War had gotten a little warmer.
I think that’s coming.
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

Joshua J. wrote:
Daveho wrote:
This doesn’t seem statistically accurate, don’t get me wrong- I love firearms but clearly there are those who really should have their arm bearing ability limited to Call of Duty.
Firearms should never be a right, much like driving- if you’re too much of a dumb s*** to do it well your prohibited from doing it- for the good of those around you.
That said those who can demonstrate safe and responsible use and storage should not be lumped in with the fools that make all gun and weapon ownership at large an “issue”.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Daveho wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:49 pm
Joshua J. wrote:
Daveho wrote:
This doesn’t seem statistically accurate, don’t get me wrong- I love firearms but clearly there are those who really should have their arm bearing ability limited to Call of Duty.
Firearms should never be a right, much like driving- if you’re too much of a dumb s*** to do it well your prohibited from doing it- for the good of those around you.
That said those who can demonstrate safe and responsible use and storage should not be lumped in with the fools that make all gun and weapon ownership at large an “issue”.

No.
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

Yes.
As Spock said “Logic clearly dictates that the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.”
And many need to not be shot. K tnx
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Daveho wrote:
Whoa!! Now Brother you've got me really confused on that one :confused: How in the heck does the right to carry and be prepared conflict with a right "NOT TO BE SHOT" :confused: :confused: ?? Hey I've got two really good pals here where I live who got a State of Missouri certified Conceal & Carry permit and both of them carry auto pistols on them daily ( which I personally don't do at this time for different reasons)>> but I actually feel super safe when I'm around these guys. Hey all of us have the right "NOT TO GET SHOT" even in the strictest draconian "Gun Control" domains like Chicago, DC ect. But yet it's been proven statistically many times over that you are far less safe in those extremely strict "GUN CONTROL" areas of the country where no one can even carry so much as a pocket knife or gun of any type :eek:

AGain what does having the right "NOT TO GET SHOT" have to do with someone's right to carry? How in GOD's creation do those two areas conflict???? I don't get that one at all :confused: :confused: . If that is really the case then I guess we immediately need to disarm our police and Military ( GOD FORBID!! :( )