Is the Ladybug worth it?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TkoK83Spy

Is the Ladybug worth it?

Post by TkoK83Spy »

My wife recently lost her old Camillus Cutlery knife, nothing special but she had it a long time and used it for simple things like opening mail, packaging or cutting loose strings off clothing. Normally kept it in the change compartment in her car. She is by no means a knife enthusiast, but liked her little knife and I can tell she's bummed about losing it.

I know I could probably go and find her another one at Walmart, but she likes the color purple and I was thinking about getting her the purple Ladybug. Does anybody have any experience with that little knife? Do you think it would be suitable for what she uses a knife for? She's petite (wears a size 4 ring) so her hands are pretty small. Hoping any of the ladies here could help chime in as well!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
SG89

Re: Is the Ladybug worth it?

Post by SG89 »

I wear a size 4 ring as well. Ladybug is a wonderful knife that she will love. Get her one!
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I bought a ZDP Manbug and Ladybug off the exchange awhile back. I kept the Manbug and gave the Ladybug to my lady. She wasn't too enthused about it at first. A couple years later and it's gone from her purse to in her pocket everyday. She told me the other day she uses it all the time at her new job. They're extremely handy little knives
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
rgrad80

Post by rgrad80 »

I got one for my wife and she loves it! It’s perfect for opening boxes, cutting tags off stuff, string...any real tast she’s likely to face. A few days ago, one of her friends texted me asking where I got my wife the knife because she wanted one too.

Also, the Ladybug is very well built for its size...it’s not like one of those $5 Chinese knives you get at the gas station.

Go for it! Worst case, you can just put it on your keychain.
Days without buying a Spyderco: 35

You always have a choice.
Sjucaveman

Post by Sjucaveman »

My wife and I both carry ladybugs. Great and very functional small knives. I bought the ffg pink one for my mother, wife, and daughter when she's old enough.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Adam
Nate

Post by Nate »

My wife loves her pink one (Cutlery Shoppe exclusive) and I have the Manbug Salt. Both have been attached to our keychains since they arrived, ~2yrs now. Old pic:

:spyder:
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

I don't own a Ladybug, but I have four Manbugs and they are terrific little knives.

Interestingly, the Manbug's edge length is the same as the Dragonfly.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Wow, I post this and leave for lunch. Come back to all these replies! You guys sold me, purple ladybug on order!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Mini2white

Post by Mini2white »

The Ladybug is fantastic and with small hands the Dragonfly fits well too. A purple Dragonfly is a little harder to find though. I think there is one on ebay right now.
MadmanR1

Post by MadmanR1 »

I collected ladybugs for a while. Love them. Wife has the pink one, daughter will get one for Christmas. My daughter beats the heck out of the chinese kershaw she got a couple years ago. I sharpen that thing all the time. She will be a torture test for this ladybug.
likethevegetable

Post by likethevegetable »

I love the ladybugs.

Mine ended up taking the place of the DF2 that I've sold because I found that it fits my hand better, pockets more nicely, and is capable of the same tasks.

I have the H1 hawkbill LB and am considering getting a VG-10 PE Manbug, but I want a color other than black!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

My gal carries the pink one on her keys. Every time I check it she's dulled the edge so she uses it on lots of stuff apparently. I also got her a pink Native but she uses the Ladybug way more.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Nate

Post by Nate »

likethevegetable wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:27 pm
...am considering getting a VG-10 PE Manbug, but I want a color other than black!

You could go for V-toku2 (blue,) HAP40 (burnt orange,) or ZDP (brg). All pretty available right now. The HAP40 supply is dwindling, but should still be around at normal prices.
:spyder:
kodai78
Location: “Beam me up Scotty, there’s no intelligent life down here.”

Post by kodai78 »

I like mine it’s a CountyComm exclusive with in orange with H1 steel. I’d go with ZDP if it was available. I have 2 Spydies in that steel and it’s awesome.
:spyder: Shaman REX 45, Smock, Baby Jess Horn CE, Spydiechef, Schempp Bowie,Ti Fluted Military, Titanium Military, Native S30 V and G10, PM 2 in S35VN, and S110V, Manix 2 LW BD1 and SPY 27, Sage 5, Positron black CPM S30V, Chaparral w/Raffir Noble scales, SuperLeaf VG 10, Ladybug H1, Dragonfly 2 in ZDP 189 and Superblue/420J1 and H1, Delica in ZDP 189, Clipitool Standard, the Cook’s knife VG10, Santoku, paring and utility knives, all in MBS 26. :spyder:
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:01 am
My wife recently lost her old Camillus Cutlery knife, nothing special but she had it a long time and used it for simple things like opening mail, packaging or cutting loose strings off clothing. Normally kept it in the change compartment in her car. She is by no means a knife enthusiast, but liked her little knife and I can tell she's bummed about losing it.

I know I could probably go and find her another one at Walmart, but she likes the color purple and I was thinking about getting her the purple Ladybug. Does anybody have any experience with that little knife? Do you think it would be suitable for what she uses a knife for? She's petite (wears a size 4 ring) so her hands are pretty small. Hoping any of the ladies here could help chime in as well!
I have around 10 of them, they are stashed everywhere! It really is an indispensable tool, I carry a Jester in my coin pocket every single day. Heck, I forgot I had it in my pocket when I went to the courthouse(tag office) and they let me keep it!

My wife loves her pink one.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
likethevegetable

Post by likethevegetable »

Nate wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:18 pm
likethevegetable wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:27 pm
...am considering getting a VG-10 PE Manbug, but I want a color other than black!

You could go for V-toku2 (blue,) HAP40 (burnt orange,) or ZDP (brg). All pretty available right now. The HAP40 supply is dwindling, but should still be around at normal prices.
I was hoping for VG-10 for it's cost, ease of sharpening, and corrosion resistance.. I don't think I'm ready to try ZDP..
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

The Lady - and Man - bugs are exceptional little tools. They seem expensive for their size until you carry one, then you realise they are actually very good value. They cut well and you will probably have it with you when it’s actually needed.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

I got a great deal on a used pink Squeak for my wife so I could get the orange DF2 back :D

The purple DF2 can still be found for $89. Don’t know if there’s a shipping cost or not.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I have a couple of Manbugs. I have been carrying my G10 Manbug for the last two days as my only knife. Very handy. The Ladybug will be just as handy. My wife actually prefers the Dragonfly (she has two). However, the Manbug/Ladybugs have the same cutting edge in a smaller knife.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:10 am
I have a couple of Manbugs. I have been carrying my G10 Manbug for the last two days as my only knife. Very handy. The Ladybug will be just as handy. My wife actually prefers the Dragonfly (she has two). However, the Manbug/Ladybugs have the same cutting edge in a smaller knife.

I prefer the Dragonfly in every way except carrying on my keys, which is really my only purpose for a Ladybug and really the only reason I'd choose it over a Dragonfly. For me a Dfly is a bit too bulky for keys.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David