A shout out to Mr. Sal Glesser & the Spyderco crew

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Sharp Guy

A shout out to Mr. Sal Glesser & the Spyderco crew

Post by Sharp Guy »

I read Eli's thank thread tonight and decided to share a very nice gesture that Sal made to my son and I recently.

A few weeks back Candyman started a thread to ask about a challenge coin he was considering buying. I knew about the challenge coins that Spyderco makes each year and I'd been meaning to order one but never got around to it. It turns out the coin Candyman was interested in was a little different than the others I've seen. According to what Sal said, they've been making these coins specifically for military personal for about 5 years.

http://www.spyderco.com/forumII/viewtop ... n#p1258354

So I sent Sal a note via email through the forum. I told him my son was serving in the US Marine Corp and I politely asked if he might have one of these coins to send to him. About a week or so went by. I had kind of forgotten about my request, when I received an email from Sal's assistant Kate. Kate said that the challenge coins were currently out of stock. However, Sal does have one coin that he'd like to send to me for my son. She also said that being a Marine Corp parent must make me proud (it does indeed!) and thanked my son for his service. That comment itself made me feel good.

A few days later Kate sent me a second email stating that she mailed the challenge coin out to me. As a side note, she shared with me that Sal had carried that coin in his briefcase since they started making them and it has made its way around the world a couple times. :)

I talked to my son last weekend and I told him about what Sal had sent to me for him and shared the details from Kate. My son replied with "Wow that's incredible! I'd be honored to take Sal's coin and keep on traveling with it". We chatted about Spyderco and Mr. Glesser for awhile after that. Among other things, he's said he's become a big fan of their blades and said they've never let him down in any country he's been in (he was deployed in Asia a few months ago). He appreciates the design and quality of their products and he appreciates how they support the military and law enforcement. I think I'm going to send him a Sharpmaker and a couple Spyderco t-shirts, along with some other things, at Christmas.

So Sal, I want to say thank you for the kind gesture. I'm sure my son and I will continue to enjoy using your products for a long time to come. :spyder:
Last edited by Sharp Guy on Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
MichaelScott

Re: A shout out to Mr. Sal Glesser & the Spyderco crew

Post by MichaelScott »

That is only one of the reasons Spyderco is one of the best companies. They operate far beyond the bottom line policy that most do. I honor their commitment to active duty and veterans and first responders, everyone who puts their lives on the line for others.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Thanks for sharing this, Sharp Guy. It is this sort of thing that makes me admire Spyderco and Sal even more. A class act by a gentleman of the highest order. Thank you Sal!

Sharp Guy, I thank your son for his service and wish him safety.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

:cool: :spyder:
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

A wonderful gesture by a remarkable man. :cool:

Thanks for sharing Pat. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Eli Chaps

Post by Eli Chaps »

That is awesome! Give your son our sincerest thanks for his service.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

What an awesome forum! You never hear things like this on other forums. Class act by Sal! @ Sharp Guy, I thank your son for his service during these chaotic times.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick