Nitrogen-Alloyed Knife Steels

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Larrin

Nitrogen-Alloyed Knife Steels

Post by Larrin »

In this article I cover the basics of nitrogen-alloyed knife steels, such as:

How is nitrogen added to the steel?
What does nitrogen do to steel?
How does nitrogen improve corrosion resistance?
Which nitrogen steel has the best properties?

https://knifesteelnerds.com/2018/09/17/ ... fe-steels/
http://www.KnifeSteelNerds.com - Steel Metallurgy topics related to knives
Sjucaveman

Re: Nitrogen-Alloyed Knife Steels

Post by Sjucaveman »

Delete please.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Adam
Larrin

Post by Larrin »

Sjucaveman wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:45 am
Delete please.
Too late. Your original post will never be forgotten. The internet is forever. :p
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

This is my favorite one yet. I've been playing with Vanax, Nitrobe77, BD1N and LC220N and this article has really captured my imagination. It's so crazy that they Nitride the powder. Brilliant!

I'd like to see some testing with Vancron 40 in a knife. Since its unique in that its closer to an A11 class steel but with nitrogen.

I think that we really haven't seen the full potential of Nitrogen steels.
I'd like to see more steels that aren't focused on substitution of carbon for making the most corrosion resistant knives. I the feel focus made on taking nitrogen steels to the next level of edge performance with increased carbon and alloy.

The potential is something that cuts as long as s110v, but sharpens like VG10, and with the toughness and stain resistance of s35vn.

Nitrogen steels need to move away from trying to be super duper stainless to find the maxamium cutting performance.

Maybe in the next 10 years. No one currently seems to be putting ANY effort towards that.
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Deadboxhero wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:57 am
The potential is something that cuts as long as s110v, but sharpens like VG10, and with the toughness and stain resistance of s35vn.
Imagine that! That would be amazing!
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:11 am
Deadboxhero wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:57 am
Imagine that! That would be amazing!
Yes, possiblites yet to be explored.

I feel very "moved" by this article.

It's time to get some Vancron 40 to test.

I don't think that Vancron 40 is the most ideal, but it could shed some light on the possiblites of nitrogen steel that is more focused on cutting performance over being absolutely stainless with cutting performance as an added bonus or after thought, I'd like to see it the other way around to take advantage of the facinating properties of high Nitrogen, high alloy, high carbon.
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

very interesting read, Larrin, thanks! :cool:

I am really looking forward to the H1 article that you hint at the end, as it's my favorite steel and I've read as much as I have found about it.
But you always manage to shed new information and unknown things about the "usual suspects" of the cutlery steels committee, so I'm sure you'll surprise us again :p
Larrin

Post by Larrin »

There are many surprises about H1 remaining. :)
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I'm getting more and more convinced that these Nitrogen based blade steels are going to be playing a big role in the future of knife manufacturing>> and it's probably not too far off either.

Now I will admit that I really don't like H-1 in Plain Edge>> but in Spyderedge it's been a nice tool to have. I still haven't gotten to try LC200N in SE yet but I'm looking forward to it.
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

I have used N680, and I was impressed. But it can only be had in round bar and I forged it to a flat and then annealed it and ground it to three knives. Finished one and the other two are waiting to be ground to shape.
Sharpens like SAK steel, but holds an edge slightly better than 440C at 58HRC.
Very stain resistant in salt water, but I clean it after each each saltwater use.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:59 pm
I'm getting more and more convinced that these Nitrogen based blade steels are going to be playing a big role in the future of knife manufacturing>> and it's probably not too far off either.

Now I will admit that I really don't like H-1 in Plain Edge>> but in Spyderedge it's been a nice tool to have. I still haven't gotten to try LC200N in SE yet but I'm looking forward to it.
Totally with you on that, JD!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Stuart Ackerman wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:07 pm
I have used N680, and I was impressed. But it can only be had in round bar and I forged it to a flat and then annealed it and ground it to three knives. Finished one and the other two are waiting to be ground to shape.
Very stain resistant in salt water, but I clean it after each each saltwater use.
That's very interesting Stuart >> I'm now wanting to try a blade made with N680. I bet it would make a great fillet knife or probably would be great for Spyderco to use in their K-04 & K-05 kitchen knives in their lineup that currently use MBS-26. With the extra corrosion resistance it would probably be the logical choice for a kitchen/culinary blade IMO.
snapshot2017

Post by snapshot2017 »

JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:19 pm
Stuart Ackerman wrote:
That's very interesting Stuart >> I'm now wanting to try a blade made with N680. I bet it would make a great fillet knife or probably would be great for Spyderco to use in their K-04 & K-05 kitchen knives in their lineup that currently use MBS-26. With the extra corrosion resistance it would probably be the logical choice for a kitchen/culinary blade IMO.
Benchmade uses N680 in their Triage first responder and rescue knife.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

I really am learning alot from this article and I like nitrogen stainless knife steel alloys.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

snapshot2017 wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:16 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:19 pm
Stuart Ackerman wrote:
Benchmade uses N680 in their Triage first responder and rescue knife.
I will check them out but I would much rather see the Great Spyder Factory come up with some new blades made with this N680. There are so many great new blade steels coming down the pipeline to the point to where I'm getting extremely picky about which Spyders I get anymore. But this N680 is one that I would like to see on maybe an outdoor blade or a fillet knife or a kitchen knife. It sounds like a blade steel I would end up using a lot. I'm also already wondering what it might be like in Spyderedge?
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Sign me up for high hardness, high corrosion resistance, and any bit of toughness that can be squeezed out!
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Larrin wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:50 pm
There are many surprises about H1 remaining. :)
good to hear!
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

Finally got around to reading this. Excellent stuff Larrin. Looking forward to the H1 article.
Larrin

Post by Larrin »

Glad you liked it!
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Stuart Ackerman wrote:
I have a couple of folders in this steel that I use for salt water activities. I agree with your findings about sharpening and edge retention completely. I have stayed in the ocean for 8 hours at a time with the knife in the water, and I have never had even a spot of discoloration. I have never been in a hurry to rinse my knife off, either.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050