REX45 + Sharpmaker: wise or foolish?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Mzen

REX45 + Sharpmaker: wise or foolish?

Post by Mzen »

Hello everyone, I'm basically having a **** of a time figuring out which Para 3 to get, since my only sharpening equipment is the Sharpmaker (plus CBN stones).

Right now I'm undecided between the brown S35VN and the burnt orange REX45 models. Since the ship has sailed on the Cruwear version (profound sadness...), I have been thinking about one of those two models. I can deal with the S35VN on my Native 5 just fine, as well as S30V on my ZT 0350, but I keep reading that the sharpening response of REX45 is very similar to M4, which sounds slightly off-putting, since M4 is supposed to be a bit of a nightmare to sharpen without the proper tools.

Other than that, I'm only worried about it possibly being chippier than S35VN, which coupled with the M4 similarities and it being more responsive to polished edges vs course ones... In short, I enjoy sharpening, but I also enjoy my free time on the weekends haha.

What do you folks reckon?
vilePossum

Re: REX45 + Sharpmaker: wise or foolish?

Post by vilePossum »

Not sure about this whole m4 being a nightmare to sharpen, my experience is quite to the contrary that m4 sharpens easily and nicely for its performance.
Didn't really mind touching up my gb or mantra on the sharp maker.
But maybe somebody with actual experience can chime in.
Wanimator

Post by Wanimator »

Depends on your comfort level, I'd go for the Rex-45 but I'm more equipped and comfortable sharpening and like steels like that Depends on how much you want to take care of the knife.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

I’d say buy the knife you want. :)

You obviously have enough skill to sharpen the knives you own so you won’t have any trouble sharpening anything else. Though I wouldn’t really want to reprofile anything with a SharpMaker alone and that’s only because I’m a little impatient and spoiled having an efficient guided system. :rolleyes:
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Mzen

Post by Mzen »

Bloke wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:26 am
I’d say buy the knife you want. :)

You obviously have enough skill to sharpen the knives you own so you won’t have any trouble sharpening anything else. Though I wouldn’t really want to reprofile anything with a SharpMaker alone and that’s only because I’m a little impatient and spoiled having an efficient guided system. :rolleyes:
Can't disagree with that haha, the safe thing is going for the brown one, but at the same time I want to get a bit adventurous with my metal and try different things, plus that burnt orange is pretty sexy. The price difference is so small that the extra edge retention is hard to ignore.

Just trying to get a bit of feedback to make an informed decision, I wouldn't bat an eye at REX45 if I had a KME system, but I need to sell a kidney before I try importing one of those to Germany.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

I’d buy the Rex45 particularly because you already have an S30V blade and I don’t think the extra 5 V’s amount to much.

That failing you may have to buy both. Ah, hahaha! :p
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
mb1

Post by mb1 »

I use the Vanadium content as an indicator: the more V, the more time you’re going to spend on the Sharpmaker. You need diamonds (or carbon rods) for anything at S30V or above, or about 4% V.

Rex 45 has less V than S30V. If you can sharpen S30V, you’ll be fine.
- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

M4 sharpens like an absolute dream. The edge comes right up and lasts. If somehow it was magically corrosion resistant it would be practically the perfect blade steel. I've never understood the difficulty of sharpening m4.

To my knowledge, spyderco ran Rex45 at higher hardness than their m4, so it would take longer to sharpen.

The sharpmaker is IMO best used for daily upkeep. More of a sharp KEEPER than a sharp maker. It's certainly not a great choice for re-profiling a bevel. If you can apex the blade at 30 degrees inclusive using stones, the sharpmaker should keep your edge incredibly sharp for months until you nees to reestablish the secondary bevel.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

I will echo the sentiment about sharpening M4. I was a little worried, but my first sharpening session went very well. I found the factory bevel to be awfully close or equal to the 30 degree setting on the sharpmaker, and it sharpened back up quickly. I finished on a strop and I’m so impressed. By comparison, I intensely dislike the s30v I’ve had (Benchmade and ZT). I won’t knowingly buy sXXv again.

If rex45 sharpens like M4, I’d consider that one helluva endorsement.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I've not yet owned any Spyderco blade that I couldn't get good and sharp with my Spyderco 204 Sharpmaker kit. But do keep one big thing in mind>> Even since I got my first one all the way back to the late 90s I've always got all the extra stones that have been made available for it. You absolutely will do much better if you at least add the diamond and Ultra-Fine stones that you can buy extra for the 204 Sharpmaker kit. Because I've found that with those extra stones I've had a lot more efficiency using the 204 Sharpmaker

If you don't have the diamond stones then by all means get them. Also the ULtra-Fine stones you can get with pay for themselves several times over. The money I've spent on both my 204 Sharpmaker kits is some of the best money I've ever spent. No I've not yet found a knife I couldn't take on with my 204 Sharpmaker and by the way my main EDC is my M390 Military model >> and if I can sharpen that bad boy I feel I can sharpen about anything.
Mzen

Post by Mzen »

JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:35 am
If you don't have the diamond stones then by all means get them.
Aren't the CBN stones supposed to pretty much do the same job as the diamond ones? At least, all the info I've read on them lead me to believe that.
blues

Post by blues »

Mzen wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:49 am
JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:35 am
If you don't have the diamond stones then by all means get them.
Aren't the CBN stones supposed to pretty much do the same job as the diamond ones? At least, all the info I've read on them lead me to believe that.
According to what I've read from Sal, (and he should know), they are essentially the same grit...400 mesh, and while he can't swear to it, he believes the CBN rods may outlast the diamond in use.

I only have the diamond so I cannot offer anything further regarding the comparison.
- Retired from the chase -
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

I've reprofiled M4 and S110v and others using only a SM and the Diamond rods with great success. However, do set aside pretty much an entire evening.

Touch ups are easy of course, and I've done REX45 a few times now on the SM and it works great as always.