Manix 2 XL in CPM-M4 or Rex-45

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wanimator

Manix 2 XL in CPM-M4 or Rex-45

Post by Wanimator »

I feel as though it's a heavily overlooked model, it's functionally phenomenal in the kitchen and "Field" whether it be a literal field cutting up a carcass or in an alley cutting up a box. I do find myself desiring this model in a non stainless steel though, especially in the tool range like the ones listed above. Whom else is interested?
steelcity16

Re: Manix 2 XL in CPM-M4 or Rex-45

Post by steelcity16 »

I am! :) I started a poll on this topic a week or so ago and the results are heavily in favor of tools steels like you mentioned, with Cruwear and 4V/V4E at the top. Id personally love to see 3V or 4V/V4E, but Cruwear or Rex45 would he awesome as well. Id prefer a DLC blade, and a DLC Rex45 with that burnt orange G10 would certainly be one heck of a great looking blade!

Lots of discussion here...

//forum.spyderco.com/viewto ... 8&start=20
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Wanimator

Post by Wanimator »

I'd like it without a coating personally, but I'd take it with it. I love the "Seasoning" and patina.
glutofknives

Post by glutofknives »

I think its due for another sprint! I feel like spyderco could slap some rex and burnt orange on most models and it would sell.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

glutofknives wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:56 pm
I think its due for another sprint! I feel like spyderco could slap some rex and burnt orange on most models and it would sell.

For sure, Native, Manix, Manix XL, Manix Backlock, Shaman...bring on the Rex45. DLC would still be so great with that Burnt orange. I hope they do that in something like a Manix or Native where the liners are coated as well. The uncoated liners on DLC PM2s and Para 3s bother me...lol
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
vivi

Post by vivi »

Definitely an overlooked model. I'm interested in DLC tool steel sprints.
:unicorn
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

I'd be willing to buy this model if a sprint came out. I'd rather buy a standard s30 military than the standard s30 version of this model. But I would buy a sprint for sure. Especially OD green g10 and dlc m4 or xhp. Shoot, I'd buy OD Green/DLC s30v...
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

I would love a Manix 2 XL backlock, personally. I'm starting to cherish corrosion resistance more and more. Constantly caring for non-stainless blades throughout and after 12 hour shifts is for the birds. Even my newish CRUWEAR pm2 has a dozen cosmetic rust spots after one day on the dredge, which disappointed me. But since cruwear is presumably more corrosion resistant than m4 and Rex 45, I'd want cruwear. Rex 45 certainly seems tough but I'm not really excited for a Manix XL at 65rc.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Pelagic wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:51 pm
I would love a Manix 2 XL backlock, personally. I'm starting to cherish corrosion resistance more and more. Constantly caring for non-stainless blades throughout and after 12 hour shifts is for the birds. Even my newish CRUWEAR pm2 has a dozen cosmetic rust spots after one day on the dredge, which disappointed me. But since cruwear is presumably more corrosion resistant than m4 and Rex 45, I'd want cruwear. Rex 45 certainly seems tough but I'm not really excited for a Manix XL at 65rc.

Maybe Elmax would fit your needs? Its supposed to be more stainless than Cruwear while being a tough steel. There seem to be varying opinions in the actual toughness, but im sure all lot of it comes down to heat treat and blade geometry. It sound like it can be get pretty tough with the right heat treat though. I really want to try it.

I agree on a Manix 2 XL Backlock as well. I wouldnt mind a sprint of the original C95 Manix which is basically this from my understanding. But put in an upgraded steel like Cruwear or maybe Elmax. That dino jimping on the original Manix is pretty cool. Would love an updated version of it. I really enjoy backlocks.
vivi

Post by vivi »

I'd like a C95 sprint, but it's a lot different than the Manix XL. 4mm blade VS 3mm, and the weight was another 1-1.5oz heavier.

I love both versions of the knife and would take either in a DLC sprint.

PS - Does it bother anyone else that we went from having a Manix & Mini Manix, to having a Manix XL & Manix? I still think the Mini Manix should be referred to as the mini, because it is a small knife. The XL is the true Manix IMO.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Vivi wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:31 am
I'd like a C95 sprint, but it's a lot different than the Manix XL. 4mm blade VS 3mm, and the weight was another 1-1.5oz heavier.

PS - Does it bother anyone else that we went from having a Manix & Mini Manix, to having a Manix XL & Manix? I still think the Mini Manix should be referred to as the mini, because it is a small knife. The XL is the true Manix IMO.

Yeah, the C95 is different enough that I feel like it would worthy of a new sprint. If they did something like 3V or V4E (or 4V) I feel like there is enough demand for a beefy folder in those steels to sell through a sprint run. It would truly be an ultimate hard use folder without having to spend $700 on a 3V Strider on the secondary market.
vivi

Post by vivi »

I can get behind that 100%. I'd be surprised to ever see the C95 make a return though. I can't think of a time off the top of my head that Spyderco did a sprint of an older version of a knife.

I still kick myself for not buying a foliage green C95...even if the DLC XL fits my needs better.
BravoTango

Post by BravoTango »

I literally have been thinking about more manix 2 XLs for the last 2 weeks, and just added it as a want in my sig this morning. It does not get nearly enough love. Please migrate some more exotic steels to the Manix 2 XL, Spyderco!
:spyder: Ben,

The North Remembers.

Has (Always in flux): Shaman, Chef, Techno, M390 Para 3, Gayle Bradley 2, Manix 2 M4. Manix 2 XL, Blue Weave Domino, CF Chaparral, Vtoku2 Endura 4, D-Fly Salt Hawk SE.[/s].

Wants: Manix 2 XL CPM-M4 or 4V, Compression Lock, Tip-up Military, Yojimbo 2 XL.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Vivi wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:44 am
I can get behind that 100%. I'd be surprised to ever see the C95 make a return though. I can't think of a time off the top of my head that Spyderco did a sprint of an older version of a knife.

I still kick myself for not buying a foliage green C95...even if the DLC XL fits my needs better.

Yeah, but as you said, it really is a different knife, so maybe with enough demand they would do it. It is still legendary as one of the toughest, if not the toughest folder Spyderco has ever made. The backlock and thick blade really make it stand out vs the current version of the XL. Id be happy with the current XL in DLC 3V or V4E or something along those line, but the return of the C95 in those steels would be the stuff of legends. :D
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

BravoTango wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:56 am
I literally have been thinking about more manix 2 XLs for the last 2 weeks, and just added it as a want in my sig this morning. It does not get nearly enough love. Please migrate some more exotic steels to the Manix 2 XL, Spyderco!

Yes, I definitely think the Manix XL and Manix Backlock both need a sprint with a tool steel. Rex45 is hot right now, so that might be a good choice. Cruwear also has a big following and would be a great fit for these, and it topped the Manix XL poll I started with 4V/V4E a close second (same results in the Manix Backlock poll from last month). I'd be happy with both of these knives in any of these steels. DLC always a plus.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Vivi wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:31 am

There is an orignal C95 on the bay right now for $375. Man that thing is a beast! But a good looking one! That old school dino jimping is REALLY cool. I would love to see a sprint run of these. Or heck maybe a "throwback Flash Batch"! Do a small run with an upgraded steel (DLC CPM-3V would be insane...and would sell). Such a great design. If I could resurrect one model it would probably be this one.
vivi

Post by vivi »

steelcity16 wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:24 am
If I could resurrect one model it would probably be this one.
Agreed.
Wanimator

Post by Wanimator »

If it were to be given a backlock I'd definitely want a Powerlock instead. It'd be interesting with a stop lock as well.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

BravoTango wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:56 am

I like your Manix 2 XL in 3V in your signature. This would be my first choice. Not nearly enough love for 3V on this forum. And if they are going to test the waters with a 3V model (Tuff doesn't count...too niche), the Manix 2 XL would be absolutely perfect.
Wanimator

Post by Wanimator »

Or 4v... Honestly. Rex45/m4 and 3v/4v would probably be must buys. But I'd definitely prefer Rex45/M4 by a huge Longshot, in what situation would the need for toughness of 3v/4v even surpass the advantage of hardness/wear resistance of the other mentioned steels?