Spyderco Paysan

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
miyamotomusashi

Re: Spyderco Paysan

Post by miyamotomusashi »

When will this C238TIP Rassenti Paysan be available? I'm ready for this. This might be the ultimate (to me). An integrated clip would make it even better though. I also wish it were a little smaller. Should I wait for version 2? The Para Paysan?
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

While you're looking at the clip, I would love to see Spyderco license Lionsteel's new "self-hiding" clip and use it on some high end offerings (like the Paysan).
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

TomAiello wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:39 pm
While you're looking at the clip, I would love to see Spyderco license Lionsteel's new "self-hiding" clip and use it on some high end offerings (like the Paysan).
Lionsteel wasn't the first to use that technology. I recall Boker doing it over a decade ago, maybe two decades. It's and interesting concept but I prefer a fixed clip.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Doesn't the Lionsteel marketing material say they've patented it?

Either way, I'm familiar with marketing and manufacturers claiming to be first (in other industries) so I'm not surprised.

edit: found the verbiage on the LS site "First, it introduces the new H.WAYL System, a LionSteel patent that allows to hide the clip while using the knife: the clip can be pulled out only when needed."
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

TomAiello wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:16 am

Either way, I'm familiar with marketing and manufacturers claiming to be first (in other industries) so I'm not surprised.

edit: found the verbiage on the LS site "First, it introduces the new H.WAYL System, a LionSteel patent that allows to hide the clip while using the knife: the clip can be pulled out only when needed."
There's almost certainly more than one mechanism that could retract a clip into the body of a knife when the blade is out. Giving one company patent protection for the whole idea of such retraction would be a bit overbroad (although such overbroad patents have certainly slipped through the patent office, and led to entertaining lawsuits!). So a company wishing to implement a retracting clip could wait for Boker's patent (if any is still in effect) to expire, license from Boker, license from Lionsteel, or invent their own mechanism.

In general, my preference is for fewer moving parts and thinner handles, so a high-tech retracting clip is something I would prefer to admire on other peoples' knives.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

dj moonbat wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:19 am
TomAiello wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:16 am

There's almost certainly more than one mechanism that could retract a clip into the body of a knife when the blade is out. Giving one company patent protection for the whole idea of such retraction would be a bit overbroad (although such overbroad patents have certainly slipped through the patent office, and led to entertaining lawsuits!). So a company wishing to implement a retracting clip could wait for Boker's patent (if any is still in effect) to expire, license from Boker, license from Lionsteel, or invent their own mechanism.

In general, my preference is for fewer moving parts and thinner handles, so a high-tech retracting clip is something I would prefer to admire on other peoples' knives.
Mechanical assemblies like this are why bullpup triggers are not as smooth and light as traditional triggers.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
vernonremington

Post by vernonremington »

Any ETA yet on the Paysan? I was hoping for a release by now.
Flipping Addict

Post by Flipping Addict »

I think you got your answer. No one knows but I can assure you it will drop right AFTER I have just bought another expensive knife and can't afford it. : )
Crux

Post by Crux »

That is an AWESOME knife you have there. They should make a machete version.
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek:
Slash

Post by Slash »

This is what I get for looking at online catalogs. Gonna put a large hole in both pockets. Won't be the first time I survived on ramen noodles...
illacky

Post by illacky »

Bump!

Are a lot of you guys still interested in picking this one up?

Over the last month I've been pondering selling off some blades to fund this one. If purchased I would like to make it my daily driver. The design looks like a very "usable" high(er) end knife IMO.
-Ivan
Exiledviking

Post by Exiledviking »

I'm eagerly awaiting this knife. I emailed Spyderco last month regarding the estimated release and whether it's going to be a limited run. Here's the reply I received:

"Thank you for taking the time to contact us. I don't have any info on how limited of a run it will be.
We do not have an ETA at this time. We expect it out in 2018."
rivy

Post by rivy »

Gonna pass on it.
Brown_Recluse

Post by Brown_Recluse »

I would love one but I have a feeling that my knife funds will be depleted by the time it's released.
CPM S90V
Maxamet
CPM-M4
M390
CPM 20CV
Lc200N
CPM-S45VN
Flipping Addict

Post by Flipping Addict »

Yeah, me too. The longer this takes to release the less likely I will be able to get it. No way I can justify $500 knife Christmas month and looking like that is when it will drop. Crap.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

TBH at this point there's more to be excited for. Those upcoming shaman sprints are much more exciting than the paysan.

Still, it would be nice to have, and if I can justify it, I'll try to get one.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Exiledviking

Post by Exiledviking »

I was hoping for a Rassenti Christmas present from Spyderco. They seem to like keeping me in suspense.
H@VOC

Post by H@VOC »

Seems the Paysan will not make it out this year.

Also, I agree that $520 is still a little high for this Paysan production run. You can basically pick-up a Curtiss F3 Large for an extra $150. That is just an example, I don’t own an F3, was just looking at some given the price point of this Paysan. Heck, the XM-18 3.5” with CPM-20CV (M390 equivalent) is $95 cheaper.

People will say that it’s an Integral so that’s why it costs those $$$. That could be justified 5-8 years ago, but with CNC machine technology of today there is no reason for these prices in all honesty. At $450 the Large Sebenza 21 with an Insingo Blade is $70 cheaper than the Paysan. Yes, the Sebie has S35VN and the Paysan S90V, both great steals with the S90V a little better, but tolerances and finish of the Sebenza 21 will beat out this Paysan all day. Plus, you won’t get scolded for taking the Sebenza apart :P

People will flock to buy this and I don’t blame them one bit, this Paysan is a super attractive knife and checks off a lot of boxes for me and I really do want one. But Spyderco priced this one a little weird to me, it just does not scream $500+ to me.
$350 out of China and $400-450 out of Golden like that one guy said with all the extras and certification of inspection from someone before packing.

But my gut is telling me Spyderco is testing the waters with this Price point seeing how it just breaks the $500 mark.
Time will tell....

I will wait for next years big sale to pick up a Paysan closer to the $400 mark myself. Well, that’s if I don’t buy a Curtiss F3 Large first....Hint....Hint....Spyderco....bring the Price down ^_^
basedlarrydavid

Post by basedlarrydavid »

I wonder if the delay might be indicative of Spyderco aytemojbg to find a way to manufacture at a lower price?
More K390 and 10V, please.

Instagram: @ohioapexing
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

perhaps so, or at least trying to iron out any quality issues beforehand. The last integral had a few complaints about grind and lock stick.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!