Help! I need to be talked out of getting a Sebenza.

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
M4Life

Help! I need to be talked out of getting a Sebenza.

Post by M4Life »

The last couple of weeks I have been looking at getting a small Sebenza, I have never owned a Chris Reeve knife. And I need someone to talk me down so I don’t drop 375$+ on one. Because I am really looking forward to the upcoming mantra 3 and I can’t justify getting both.
Just a man with a plan and a knife in hand.

My knives: Para 3 S110V (customized), Para 3 M390, PM2 S110V, Manix 2 CPM 154/S90V, Dice, Rubicon, Vrango, Native 5 CPM 154/S90V, Manbug ZDP-189, Ladybug, Chaparral LW, Kizer Megatherium
SpyderNut

Re: Help! I need to be talked out of getting a Sebenza.

Post by SpyderNut »

The best advice I can give is to stop by a knife shop in your area (if possible) and check one out in person. See if it speaks to you...or not. The CRKs are very well made and have an excellent reputation. I have a Sebenza, but I seldom carry it because I much prefer the Round Hole over thumb studs.

Welcome to the forum too, by the way. :)
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

My first CRK was a small Sebenza. My expectations were high (all the hype!) and opening the box and holding it in my hand did not help me reach nirvana. In fact, I was pretty disappointed. Sure, it's a very well made knife, but the thumb stud was the opposite of what I would consider a good design, and the overall "wow" factor wasn't there for me. I know many others feel the opposite, which is the reason I felt compelled to try one. After sitting on it for a while, I threw it in my pocket one day and carried it for a few weeks in the office. In theory, it was a good fit for my office environment, but I missed the knife it replace more than I enjoyed the Sebenza... So the Chaparral went back in my pocket and I eventually sold the Sebenza. We just never connected.

A couple years after purchasing the small sebbie, I picked up a used Umnumzaan. It already had plenty of scratches so I thought I would be able to get my money back if I didn't like it. "WOW" was the first thing to mind when I held it. Despite the gimmicks (glass breaker, sharp swedge) I really liked this knife in hand and in use. The way it was designed with detent ball being the lock interface and the thumb studs being the blade stops also make the experience feel special to me. The "Boss" motivated me to try the Inkosi and Sebenza again, both small and large... Nope. Just not for me. The Zaan is the only CRK I have left, and I don't see myself selling it.

At the end of the day, Spyderco makes the best performing knives I've ever had, at any price range. Committing to the $400+ price range opens a lot of doors, but none of them lead to nirvana (well, one of them does ;) ), and rarely kick the Spyderco out of my pocket in my experience.
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

Go for it. Sell it if you don't like it.
Reject

Post by Reject »

Get it. If you don’t, :confused: you will always be left wondering.

They hold their value, so keep the box and papers and you will get your money or close to it back when you sell it.

Unless it is one of the fancy ones, it will not impress you much when you first get it out of the box. It is basically it is just slabs of titanium and an S35vn blade. :) But don’t judge it by that.

What you need to do, is chuck in your pocket and use it for 2 weeks or so. By that time you understand what Chris Reeve knives are all about or you will come to the conclusion that they are not for you and you can sell it on.

Every folding knife fan has got to try a Chris Reeve knife sooner or later. Whether you like them or not is irrelevant, :o you just have to try them to set your mind at rest.
How much can a Koala bear?
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

Concur with the suggestion of going to a knife store selling Chris Reeve Sebenzas, having a close look at one, and handling the knife to get a true feel for it. That was how I was first introduced to a Sebenza... went to a gun store that also carried a large selection of knives. I knew the guy at the counter and he said he had a knife that just came in that I had to check out... it was a Small Sebenza. I found it to be a very practical and very efficient design that worked well with a variety of grips. Since then I've gotten more into the Large Sebenza.

All in all, the Sebenza is a beautiful knife that's well built, reliable, and made to be used. Plus, Chris Reeve Knives provides a service for refurbishing a well-used Sebenza to keep it functioning properly.
Spyderco WTC #1044

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” George Santayana, The Life of Reason: The Phases of Human Progress, 1905 to 1906

NEVER FORGET!!!
Crux

Post by Crux »

Will you lose your family, job or your house? If not I can't really come up with a good argument. Sorry. :(
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek:
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

M4Life wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:55 am
The last couple of weeks I have been looking at getting a small Sebenza, I have never owned a Chris Reeve knife. And I need someone to talk me down so I don’t drop 375$+ on one. Because I am really looking forward to the upcoming mantra 3 and I can’t justify getting both.
I can only speak for myself but i see nothing that a CRK can do that you can't do better with a lot of spyderco knives, especially having to do with the primary purpose of a knife which is to cut well, safely and comfortably. But if you can afford and justify a CRK, then let us know how it cuts and carries compared to a PM2 or delica or any other flagship spyderco knife. Always interested in reading fair comparisons.
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

One reason is that you have to sharpen it out of the box. I mean, I usually sharpen my knives anyway from the start but Spyderco puts a decent bevel on them. CRK's come pretty dull in my experience. Also, the mantra will be slicier. Also the fit and finish will not be mind blowingly superior if you get a crk. They are great and I love my sebenza with insingio and micarta inserts. But they're just not miles above. And function wise, nah. But I wouldn't talk you out of one. They're collection necessary. I would probably try and talk you out of a hinderer or microtech but not a crk.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

No thumb hole is a deal breaker for me. It's that simple. I won't compromise when I'm spending that much on one knife.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
benben

Post by benben »

Evil D wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:49 pm
No thumb hole is a deal breaker for me. It's that simple. I won't compromise when I'm spending that much on one knife.
Agreed, a local gun store to me had a large Inkosi Insingo that I know I held for 20 minutes, I wanted it!! What a well made beautiful knife! But I just couldn't get over the thumb stud, had it had a thumb hole, I definitely would have bit the bullet and bought it! Who knows, maybe I'm missing out?? I just know the love the Spydie hole!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

benben wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:11 am
Evil D wrote:
Agreed, a local gun store to me had a large Inkosi Insingo that I know I held for 20 minutes, I wanted it!! What a well made beautiful knife! But I just couldn't get over the thumb stud, had it had a thumb hole, I definitely would have bit the bullet and bought it! Who knows, maybe I'm missing out?? I just know the love the Spydie hole!

Yep the Insingo blade is so beautiful and I really admire the manufacturing but I just can't spend that kind of cash on a thumb stud. It just isn't for me.

Heck even Case is selling flippers now, it's time to get with the times and put a thumb hole on a Sebenza.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
benben

Post by benben »

Evil D wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:14 am
benben wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:11 am
Evil D wrote:

Yep the Insingo blade is so beautiful and I really admire the manufacturing but I just can't spend that kind of cash on a thumb stud. It just isn't for me.

Heck even Case is selling flippers now, it's time to get with the times and put a thumb hole on a Sebenza.
He also had several small and large Sebenza knives there as well, but if I *were* to buy one, it would absolutely without a doubt be a Inkosi with the Insingo blade!! I've only had a few knives in my life melt into my hand the way that Inkosi did, that's why I had such a hard time handing back to the salesman! Walked out with a Yojimbo 2 instead, which also fits me perfectly! :D
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Evil D wrote:
My sentiments as well. CRK’s are beautiful and very well made, but I want the round opening hole. For the OP, I agree that it is best to handle one and then only buy one if it speaks to you.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Here is my reason for you not to get it. With all due respect to the immense quality of those knives, for that price you can get multiple Spyderco folders, for example; you can just about get three Pacific Salts; one in serrated edge, and two more. Or, you can get a Pacific Salt, an Endura, and another. Three super-quality knives for the price of one.
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

You will never know how great the Sebenza is until you own one. It is a true American Icon. Yes, Spydercos are great and I still own a handful of them, but my CRK’s have kicked everything out of my pocket. The Sebenza is that **** good.
Josh
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I got over the thumbstud after a little while and now I carry my large seven a 21 almost everyday. I’m ashamed to admit on this forum that it may be my favourite knife in my collection. It is just so dang solid, it really feels like it will last me the rest of my life.

My advice, get one. If you hate it (you won’t) you can sell it.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:39 pm
I got over the thumbstud after a little while and now I carry my large seven a 21 almost everyday. I’m ashamed to admit on this forum that it may be my favourite knife in my collection. It is just so dang solid, it really feels like it will last me the rest of my life.

My advice, get one. If you hate it (you won’t) you can sell it.
I’m in the exact same boat LC. It really is why I haven’t been around as much as I use to be. I still love Spyderco though and everything they stand for, but the Sebenza rocks! It is MY perfect EDC, and I really could get by with only owning it and carrying it for the rest of my life.
Josh
M4Life

Post by M4Life »

So I just wanted to follow up with you guys on this thread. I did order a Sebenza, which is currently on making its way to me through the mail. specifically I got the small version with some very nice looking wood inlays, which means it has the drop point blade (I'm a little disappointed that CRK does not make any of the Sebenzas with the wooden inlays in the insingo or tanto blade shape. I still like the drop point, but it is used on a ton of knives so it does not seem as special as something like the insigo, but I digress). I decided to get wooden inlays because the titanium has a more polished finish than the micarta inlay or plain handle which I heard felt sandpapery and would eat up your pocket, so hopefully this more polished finish won't feel that way.

The reason that I decided to get one is partly because of your responses to this thread, but mainly because my father is turning 50 in a few months and he has been carrying the same Benchmade for longer than I have been alive and he is in dire need of an upgrade. So as many of you have probably already guessed, I plan to carry this Sebenza for a little while and surprise him with it for his 50th birthday. If I don't like the Sebenza I can just give it to him and move on knowing that I tried it and it was't for me, but if I do like it I'll still give him this one and then pick up a new one later down the line, either way it's a win win for me.

I know this was a bit of a long and rambling response, but I just wanted to let you all know what I had decided to do and to thank you all for your advice. I might post under this thread again once I've gotten a chance to carry the Sebenza for a little while just to give my impressions of it. Thanks again for all of your great responses to this thread.
Just a man with a plan and a knife in hand.

My knives: Para 3 S110V (customized), Para 3 M390, PM2 S110V, Manix 2 CPM 154/S90V, Dice, Rubicon, Vrango, Native 5 CPM 154/S90V, Manbug ZDP-189, Ladybug, Chaparral LW, Kizer Megatherium
Reject

Post by Reject »

:cool: They do have a certain style to them.
If it doesn’t feel right for you, :) I am sure your father will love it.

How much can a Koala bear?