FRN Police 4

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SG89

Re: FRN Police 4

Post by SG89 »

What about the new colors the Byrd knives use?
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Cycletroll

Post by Cycletroll »

sal wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:11 pm
Currently I'm thinking dark colors. Maybe black for VG-10, BRG for ZDP, very dark blue for K390, etc.

sal
I think these classic colors are perfect! No bright colors for me on this big mamma jamma!
Plus the color tie in to previous models in like steels is a nice touch :)
vivi

Post by vivi »

Sal, do you think there is any chance of a DLC run of any Police 4 in any steel at some point?
:unicorn
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Vivi,

Anything is possible. The question will be demand? Let's bring out the first model first and see what happens. Is there a large enough market for 1200 DLC pieces?

Knives over 4" in blade length are not as popular as the 4" or under knives.

sal
vivi

Post by vivi »

sal wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:54 pm
Hi Vivi,

Anything is possible. The question will be demand? Let's bring out the first model first and see what happens. Is there a large enough market for 1200 DLC pieces?

sal
Understandable. Thank you for the answer, Sal.

I will do my part to make sure these sell. I plan to buy some for me, some for friends, and post an obnoxious amount of photos on different websites :)

Thanks again for making this knife happen.
GH9000

Post by GH9000 »

sal wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:06 pm
I'm surprised by the requests for bright colors on such a large knife. Certainly our LEO's would not like a bright color?

sal
That’s true.
Last edited by GH9000 on Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

I'd take a dlc, Sal. Idk if 1200 people would. Dark blue and dlc would be nice, especially for the k390. Black on black vg10 would also be great.

I hope this model goes well as I love my g10 police 4. The options you've listed so far are very desirable and I'll probably end up with two of the models listed.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
crazywednesday

Post by crazywednesday »

sal wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:06 pm
I'm surprised by the requests for bright colors on such a large knife. Certainly our LEO's would not like a bright color?

sal
I image the majority of sales for this knife are non LEO even though the intent might be different.
Justin
embry386

Post by embry386 »

I'd take a blackout one, if the weight ends up being low enough. It seems to me that the LEOs would also like DLC blades, more tactical less shiny and all that, but I could be way off base there. Dark blue and DLC would also be awesome, you'd get that tactical feel while also having the blue color that's associated with the cops. And people who want blackout versions like I do could easily dye it black.
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

firstly, my vote goes for Black, Dark Blue, Navy Blue, Grey or similar tones :rolleyes:

secondly, I also vote for at least one version with DLC, it seems like a coating that's getting more fame and success lately (M4 DLC coated exclusives, DLC as the new coating for Cold Steel, BM also using it now...) :spyder:

thirdly, I will also, like Vivi, do as much as I can to ensure these sell, :p recommending them, getting them to be known on forums and the net, etc. I want them to be successful and have several runs and variations!1 :cool:
Kiteman72

Post by Kiteman72 »

I think the blue used on the BBS Lil Matriarch would be about perfect.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Pretty sure the FRN Police 4 prototype I held at this year’s OKCA show had a dark green camo Zome pattern to it (LC or Spydersense, do you remember that?). That didn’t look too bad actually. A dark blue and black Zome handle would be very cool IMHO.

Definitely no bright colors though. Sal you had the choices nailed down well already. :)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Yep, DLC K390 with Navy FRN for the win. No zome please.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Knife Knut

Post by Knife Knut »

sal wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:54 pm
A DLC Stainless Partially Serrated in Black FRN would be an awesome must have for me. But I doubt there is enough market since DLC and especially ComboEdge are not big sellers. I still kick myself for not getting my Comboedge Military with a black blade.
My state does not have length restrictions.
Wanimator

Post by Wanimator »

Gevatter wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:58 pm
Nested liners would be great I just hope for a steel backspacer and variety of colors like on the endura and Delica.
I second the steel backspacer.
sal

Post by sal »

We're making an FRN version to get the cost down. A steel back-spacer is a considerable up charge for a custom piece that has to be individually worked. It is always surprising when customers say they want G-10 or steel back-spacers and then when we deliver on these requests, we're told they're too expensive.

The current Police 4 has it all. A large blade, good geometry for cutting/slicing, A super steel for edge retention, Machined G-10 scales, steel back-spacer, 4 way clip, etc. Then I hear it's too expensive. Then the "make it in China like the tenacious", Then I hear, no China, make it in America but for the same price as the Chinese made version.

I guess the only solution is education, which is what I try to do.

sal
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

I'm definitely glad to hear the "Lightweight" Police 4 won't have a steel back spacer.
vivi

Post by vivi »

sal wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:17 pm
We're making an FRN version to get the cost down. A steel back-spacer is a considerable up charge for a custom piece that has to be individually worked. It is always surprising when customers say they want G-10 or steel back-spacers and then when we deliver on these requests, we're told they're too expensive.

The current Police 4 has it all. A large blade, good geometry for cutting/slicing, A super steel for edge retention, Machined G-10 scales, steel back-spacer, 4 way clip, etc. Then I hear it's too expensive. Then the "make it in China like the tenacious", Then I hear, no China, make it in America but for the same price as the Chinese made version.

I guess the only solution is education, which is what I try to do.

sal
Using a steel backspacer would also increase the weight!

Everything you've mentioned about the upcoming FRN Police sounds perfect to me. Really excited to EDC one of these!
GH9000

Post by GH9000 »

I’m done wanting crazy color Zome frn. Dark blue sounds great. Frn backspacer sounds right on too.
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

oh :confused: I don't like a steel backspacer either.
Give me a non-corrodible spacer made of FRN, Plastic or other synthetic or a flow through design for easy cleaning any day...costs down, weight down, complexity down, maintenance down, all ups for me! :p