I don't like the way this forum discusses corrosion resistance

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vivi

I don't like the way this forum discusses corrosion resistance

Post by vivi »

In a lot of threads where corrosion resistance is the topic under discussion, a lot of folks are coming off poorly in my eyes

Telling someone that there is no practical reason they could ever need more corrosion resistance than you is extremely presumptuous.

Everyone has differeny body chemistry. I can show you photos of VG10 folders where I rusted every single piece of material susceptible to corrosion, while living in the snowy North of USA. I can show you knives I rusted hardware within a day of putting it in my pocket.

Before you say "Well some basic maintenance..." how would you feel if I came into your "suggest me a knife" thread and told you your desire for better edge holding is silly because "with proper maintenance" no one should ever need that much edge holding.

Maybe you cut more abrasive things than I do. Maybe my sweat is more corrosive than yours.

Maybe you don't want to sharpen your EDC every week.

Maybe I don't want to coat every piece of metal with a film of oil, rinse off my blades every half hour, and give them a full break down to re-oil the internals once a month.

We all have different needs. Telling someone their needs are invalid is the opposite of what this forum should be about IMO.

Telling people "no one needs Ti liners or H1 unless they live on a boat" is no better than telling someone "buying anything beyond 440C is a waste of time and a bandaid to compensate for poor discipline in maintaining your edge."
:unicorn
ZrowsN1s

Re: I don't like the way this forum discusses corrosion resistance

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I'd agree that people have different needs when it comes to knives. Along with how much corrosion resistance someone needs, it's presumptuous to say all you need is 'xyz' about a lot of aspects. Lock type, choils, steel type, handle material, shape, size, color, etc....

I always try to remember that my tastes and needs are not everyone else's tastes and needs. But I've definitely been guilty of the 'all you need is...' thing. :o
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

I’m all for more corrosion resistant materials because I’m lazy and would prefer to not oil and break down my knives. But I also frequently cut food and want them clean. LC200n is fantastic so far. Need an edc with this steel.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I read through the entire thread I think you are referring too and found everyone in there to be very helpful and welcoming to the OP. In fact, the only person I saw that made any assumptions about the OP and his uses was you..
Vivi wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:29 am
The best balance of all the attributes you desire is easily the DLC S30V Para 2.

It will be the easiest to sharpen.

It will be by far the most corrosion resistant Para 2 produced yet.

It will be tough enough. I carried one for years and used it harder than you will, and put an extra thin edge in mine too. Never had any durability issues.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

I have seen the type of reaction you speak of Vivi, where someone acts like if you need something more stainless than VG-10 or S30V you just don't know how to care for your knives. That's nonsense.

The problem is, we all try to give advice based on our own experiences. And our experiences are all very different and unique. One guy says that S110V does not hold an edge long enough; another guy wonders why anyone would need anything more than 8Cr13MoV. One person claims that S30V is chippy; another says that Maxamet is tough enough for anything. One forum member says that you can't tell a difference between S30V and S35VN; others contest this statement.

The point being, any advice we offer will necessarily be tainted by our own subjective experiences. And these experiences can be very valuable; they cannot, however, be treated as gospel fact for all users in all situations at all times. Giving advice based on our personal experiences is not a bad thing but the subjectivity of the advice does need to be kept in mind by both the giver and the recipient.

Personally I don't have a need for H-1 as far as corrosion resistance. But I believe you when you say you do, and I'm glad that Spyderco has so many options to offer all of us knife knuts. Everyone is different, and everyone's knife needs will be different, and this diversity is part of what makes this forum such a great place.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

My knife is so corrosion resistant your salty attitude has no effect, it also holds such a keen edge it can chop up your soap box.
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:03 pm
I read through the entire thread I think you are referring too and found everyone in there to be very helpful and welcoming to the OP. In fact, the only person I saw that made any assumptions about the OP and his uses was you..
Vivi wrote:
I carried one for years and used it harder than you will
I took notice of that line as well and thought it was rather cocky and presumptuous.

That aside though, all of us give advice based on our experience -- and honestly that is the most valuable advice of all because it is raw data, not just us parroting stuff we have picked up on knife forums. I always try to label it as such and point out that I live in arid southern Arizona, the place where they store airplanes so they don't rust. And I don't particularly sweat a lot, but I know some people sweat like crazy and their belt buckles corrode and fall off.
Last edited by Tucson Tom on Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:50 pm
Liquid Cobra wrote:
Vivi wrote:
I took notice of that line as well and thought it was rather cocky and presumptuous.
Vivi, maybe you went a bit too far with that prognostication?
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
vivi

Post by vivi »

The Meat man wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:20 pm
I have seen the type of reaction you speak of Vivi, where someone acts like if you need something more stainless than VG-10 or S30V you just don't know how to care for your knives. That's nonsense.
Precisely.
vivi

Post by vivi »

MichaelScott wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:52 pm
Tucson Tom wrote:
Liquid Cobra wrote:
Vivi wrote:
Maybe it was presumptuous, but I'd still bet money that it's true.

But I could be wrong.

In my experience most people on a knife forum are not willing to subject their knives to the uses I do, and they claim that a knife reground as thin as mine would fail put to such tasks (they're mistaken).

PS - Liquid Cobra, I'm referring to years of this going on here, not one thread. If I cared more I'd pull you up a dozen links showing this behavior throughout the months / years.
Last edited by vivi on Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
vivi

Post by vivi »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:49 pm
I'd agree that people have different needs when it comes to knives. Along with how much corrosion resistance someone needs, it's presumptuous to say all you need is 'xyz' about a lot of aspects. Lock type, choils, steel type, handle material, shape, size, color, etc....

I always try to remember that my tastes and needs are not everyone else's tastes and needs. But I've definitely been guilty of the 'all you need is...' thing. :o
When you've found "the one," I guess it can be easy to get over enthusiastic and think it will be "the one" for other people. But you and me have pretty different tastes, much less the whole bunch of us.

Spyderco as a company caters to us all. I think we're capable of the same.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

The truth is we all have different needs and different tastes, both for a wide variety of reasons. My environment is highly corrosive to carbon steels, but my body chemistry is not. How can I, with my different experiences, tell someone else that their needs and experiences are no good or that they are at fault somehow, without proof of fault?

Now, I love non-stainless steels, but they do require a lot more care, especially here. Stainless steels require less care, but I do not enjoy sharpening them as much. However, they are practical. Does that mean someone else who holds an opposing viewpoint is wrong? (unless he or she is a troll) No, it does not. We have different needs and different experiences because our lives are different.

Take for instance my general preference for not having a liner lock. I do not hate them, and I own a few, including a Cat and a Military. However, my experience gained from hard use has taught me that no liner lock is as strong or safe as a back lock. Do I condemn others for preferring a liner lock? No. Their experiences are not the same as mine and they have not used a knife in the same way as I have had to do.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
vivi

Post by vivi »

Well said, Doc.

I also keep a Military around despite a similar preference for lockbacks. Feels wrong not having one in my collection, it was the knife that sold me on the brand.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Well I guess you may not want to hear this but I've used "Sentry Solutions" products over the years and I've had great luck with every product I've ever used from the "Sentry Solutions" Company. They have great corrosion resistance products like their TUF CLOTH and Marine grade TUF CLOTH. I've use both of them with excellent results. Until recently I had been going to the Ozarks a lot doing camping, hunting, fishing backpacking ect and believe me that's a really corrosive environment here in the south Missouri region.

Now I've had better luck than you are describing with VG-10. I've only ever had one of my VG-10 Spyders ever show any signs of corrosion and GOD knows I've used many of my VG-10 units a lot. Maybe we ought to petition Spyderco to do even more stuff with H-1 and LC200N. I'm hoping that LC200N Native will be available in Spyderedge because I've really been wanting to see what that blade steel can do in SE>> because I know that it does well in PE.

Now myself I try to do a lot of "Preventative Maintenance" on most all of my tools and especially my knives and many other hand tools I use a lot. If you've never tried that TUF CLOTH by Sentry Solutions I think you would be really impressed. Because that TUF CLOTH leaves some type of film/barrier that really works. Also I encourage you to check out that great metal wax that FLITZ puts out. I've also had excellent luck with it as well.
Last edited by JD Spydo on Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Vivi wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:22 pm
MichaelScott wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:52 pm
Tucson Tom wrote:
Liquid Cobra wrote:
Maybe it was presumptuous, but I'd still bet money that it's true.
And it probably was true! But it came off in a way that apparently rang people's bells.
rgrad80

Post by rgrad80 »

The Meat man wrote:

The problem is, we all try to give advice based on our own experiences. And our experiences are all very different and unique.

The point being, any advice we offer will necessarily be tainted by our own subjective experiences.
This is spot on. I join forums like this one to get different opinions based on different life experiences from people who share a similar interest. Things come out weird sometimes in the written language because we can only go off of what we read...no ability to see body language or hear tone fluctuations.
I mean for God’s sake, someone here actually believes the Manbug is clearly the best edc ever...when I know it to be a fact that the Military is the only way to go:)
Days without buying a Spyderco: 35

You always have a choice.
vivi

Post by vivi »

rgrad80 wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:50 am
The Meat man wrote:

The problem is, we all try to give advice based on our own experiences. And our experiences are all very different and unique.

The point being, any advice we offer will necessarily be tainted by our own subjective experiences.
This is spot on. I join forums like this one to get different opinions based on different life experiences from people who share a similar interest. Things come out weird sometimes in the written language because we can only go off of what we read...no ability to see body language or hear tone fluctuations.
I mean for God’s sake, someone here actually believes the Manbug is clearly the best edc ever...when I know it to be a fact that the Military is the only way to go:)
And apparently some people have yet to purchase a G10 Police :D ;)

You're spot on though. I know there's been times I've said something in jest and it's been taken seriously, and I'm sure it happens to others as well. Sometimes I put some smilies in tobplay it safe, like with the Police comment :)
JacksonKnives

Post by JacksonKnives »

I agree 100% about civility and not making assumptions.

But for those of us pursuing better-cutting, longer-lasting edges, any time a steel is dismissed because it "rusts if you look at it funny" is also a dismissal of our values and represents a possible threat to future sprint run potential. (It's not just a popularity contest... but that's a real part of why Spyderco does sprint runs.)

We're incredibly fortunate to have Spyderco trying out steels like Aogami, Cruwear and 52100, and we want to be sure that they know why we appreciate these steels.
If it comes down to "one steel standing" I'd vote for 52100 at the risk of taking away a boat-dweller's future H1 knives; happily those aren't our choices and there are cool sprint run and experimental models options to meet every need.
vivi

Post by vivi »

JacksonKnives wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:13 am
I agree 100% about civility and not making assumptions.

But for those of us pursuing better-cutting, longer-lasting edges, any time a steel is dismissed because it "rusts if you look at it funny" is also a dismissal of our values...
Absolutely. It goes both ways.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'm certain that I've said things like "all you need is some Vaseline" etc over the years when corrosion is discussed, but I never would have dreamed that anyone would take offense to that. There are ways to deal with this sort of thing and if you don't care for doing those things then who cares? I'm really surprised this bothers you that much. You have extremely specific wants/needs when it comes to knives, this topic could easily be twisted around into saying that you're just close minded and unwilling to take care of your knives, but that wouldn't be fair would it? I may have missed some of the more harsh comments you may have read but hopefully I haven't fueled this fire with anything I've said. I just figured it was sharing experiences and giving advice. Would it make any sense if I got upset every time you asked for a 5 inch folder?

Maybe I'm missing something here but I'm surprised this bothers you enough to make a thread about it. It would be like me making a thread about how upset I am that everyone likes the Para 2 while I think the Sliverax is better. No offense here dude, I just figured you for the "beat of my own drum" sort of guy, and this seems kinda petty. You've been one of the bigger supporters of H1 over the last few years and honestly if it wasn't for some of your posts I probably wouldn't have given it another chance but it's kinda changed my life. Keep doing you and don't let something so silly bother you.

You can't stop the waves of the ocean, but you can learn to surf.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David