Why do you carry a knife?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Why do you like to carry knives?

pretty!
13%
flickability / they make good fidget toys
12%
showing them to friends is fun
4%
self-defense / feeling bad@ss and tough
6%
sometimes you need to cut stuff
57%
other (describe in post)
7%

Total votes: 235

embry386

Why do you carry a knife?

Post by embry386 »

There are a lot of cool reasons that y'all like knives! I'm curious about them, and I want to know which are the most popular reasons. :) So: why do you like to carry knives around with you? What do you get the most enjoyment from doing with the knives, and what makes it worth the extra hassle of putting a knife in your pocket every morning and carrying it around all day?

For me it's a mixture of all the reasons, with the lowest importance on self-defense, second lowest on showing them to friends, and the third lowest on needing to cut stuff. There isn't a lot of stuff that actually needs cutting in my life. It is definitely convenient to have a knife or two around on the occasions when I do need one, and it's worth keeping a lightweight Native permanently in my jacket pocket for that, but it's not what I get the most enjoyment from.

Flickability and prettiness are what I enjoy the most in knives. Makes it easier to focus on work when I have something to spin around in my hands, staring at the computer screen, trying to think how to express something so the computer will do what I want it to. And prettiness is just awesome, makes everything better, makes me a bit happier just to hold and look at the pretty thing I have, or to look at my collection and admire the colors and the way the serrations glitter, and how all the different steel types are really cool and required so much awesome engineering and science behind it all. Knives make me happy. :spyder:

How about you?
JonLeBlanc

Re: Why do you carry a knife?

Post by JonLeBlanc »

I really do cut a fair amount of stuff at my job so I voted for that, but I should also say that at this point I’ve so fully absorbed the idea that a grown man carries a knife (as was done in previous generations), that leaving home without it clipped to my pocket feels like leaving home with no undies on lol.
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I have since I was 9. My dad gave me one. Liked pocketknives ever since. They’re cool, useful. I just like them.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Forest Elk

Post by Forest Elk »

embry386 wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:10 am
There are a lot of cool reasons that y'all like knives!... And prettiness is just awesome, makes everything better, makes me a bit happier just to hold and look at the pretty thing I have, or to look at my collection and admire the colors and the way the serrations glitter, and how all the different steel types are really cool and required so much awesome engineering and science behind it all. Knives make me happy. :spyder:
:spyder: 100 percent agreed! :)
"Never leave home without a knife!" :spyder:

My Spydies: Native CPM440V, Delica4-ZDP, Delica4-ZDP, Delica4 FFG, Endura4-ZDP, Endura4, UKPK-G10, UKPK-CF, Salt1, PM 2, Dragonfly 2, Dragonfly Salt, Dragonfly-ZDP, Dragonfly Nishijin, Squeak, Lil' Native CompLock, Dragonfly-G10
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

This weekend we were shooting sporting clays. At the second stand the lead just falls out of the end of the pencil. The two other guys looked up at me, I took out my maroon S90V forum native, a few strokes off the end and we have a roughly but effectively sharpened pencil once again. We were back in action with no more ceremony to it.

We may put a lot of thought into a hobby that most people don’t understand, but the irony is that when stuff needs to be cut: 1. everyone instantly recognizes the need for a knife and, 2. everyone looks to their knife knut friend to have it.
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

embry386 wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:10 am
Like Flickability and prettiness are what I like enjoy the most in like knives. Makes it easier to like focus on work when I have something to like spin around in my hands, staring at the computer screen, trying to like think how to like express something so the computer will like do what I want it to. And like prettiness is just like awesome, makes everything like better, like makes me a bit happier just to like hold and look at the pretty thing I have, or like to look at my collection and admire like the colors and the way the like serrations glitter, and how all the like different steel types are like really cool and like required so much awesome engineering and like science behind it all. Like Knives make me like happy. Like :spyder:

Like How about you?
:D Too many teenage girls around my house and that's how I read this.

Anywho, always had a knife around because a scout is always prepared. Now I feel naked if I don't have at least 1 on me.
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Sometimes need to cut stuff, and I've found that knives that are functional jewelry work just as well for that as those that have a more utilitarian look.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I got stuff that needs cutting.

also, I'm a materials engineer and enjoy the metallurgy side of things quite a bit :)
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
vilePossum

Post by vilePossum »

Because I like knives and I was raised being taught that a boy/man always has some sort of (pocket) knife with him on case he might need it. Of course I think my grandpa was more referreing to a SAK, which he also always carried, than a 4" pocket sword, but who cares.
anycal

Post by anycal »

Why do I carry a smart phone? I have to make a call once in a while...
Peter
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

It's a tool just like my other tools. It is a bit more enjoyable than a wrench though.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I voted for cutting stuff. First and foremost that is why. I have carried a pocket knife for over 30 years now and that has always been the reason.

I also voted for pretty but I am not much of a fan of the pocket jewelry aspect of the hobby. I voted for that because I do appreciate the aesthetics of many of the knives I choose to carry. Most are not knives I could show to a non knife person and impress them with but beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all that. I do like to take as well as look at pictures of knives.

I am also a geek and enjoy geeking out on the designs, the lock types, the geometries and the steels.

Form follows function so I carry a knife to use when I need it. After that I do enjoy admiring and appreciating various qualities that the knife has. That I suppose is what differentiates a knife user from a knife enthusiast.

I don't really fidget and I don't really carry for SD.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
vivi

Post by vivi »

Only one applies to me from your list: cutting things.

In many of my hobbies, knives have proven useful. Camping and hiking are obvious ones, but they've also been handy for rock climbing, bike tours, and skateboarding. I use them on the job and around the house for all sorts of odd tasks.

I will say that I also enjoy sharpening knives and discussing them, but I don't show them to anyone unless they're a friend who's into them. I'm not the kind of guy to think anyone with a visible pocket clip gives a ****. Not one for flicking or fidgeting, couldn't care less about pocket jewellery, and guns + running shoes make a better self defense combo.
:unicorn
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

I carry a knife because a knife is part of the human cultural (evolutionary) DNA. Because all of the men I knew growing up carried some kind of knife. Because I was given a pocket knife by my grandfather when I was about eight or nine, almost seventy years ago. Because men should have a knife to cut stuff, and the need to cut stuff can occur any time.

Because I feel I completely prepared if I don’t have at least one knife on me. Because I thoroughly enjoy quality things, especially focused mechanical systems that are made with superb function in mind. Their beauty derives from that function. It is not artificially made to appeal to social fads.

I don’t flick, fidget or show my knives off to non-knife people. If one should show an interest, perhaps I will do a brief show and tell, but that seldom turns out well. The last time, one of my pals commented on one of my knives over coffee he ran out to his truck and brought in a filthy, dull early Delica and said a friend got it for him at some seconds sale “up in Golden somewhere”. That was the extent of his knowledge. Our other friend at the table took out a battered Barlow style knife and declaimed that it was all anyone would ever need.

If I had told them how much I had paid for my PM2, they would have been certain I was a bit cracked.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

The only reason I carry a knife is to cut things.

My reasons for buying knives is a whole different story! :D

I've carried a knife for many years now. Much like my cellphone, keys, and wallet, it's pretty much habit to put a knife in my pocket at this point.
-Nick :bug-red
SAF-1

Post by SAF-1 »

Hi, I’m actually a 25yr Fireman/Paramedic for a large dept. and carry 2 knives at work along with a Surefire and Small Prybar from Raidops I got years ago. Although lately it’s been a Microtech and a ZT, I’ve carried an Endura SE for years and still suggest that knife to the guys who don’t want to spend a lot of $$$. I’ve Cut Seatbelts, Rope, People’s Clothes, and even a Newborns Umbillical Cord when we lost the Scalpel from the OB Kit.
PStone

Post by PStone »

I voted to sometimes cut stuff, and other. My other reason is like other responses. Security blanket. I have been carrying a knife for so long, that I don’t feel right without one. Even if I KNOW I probably won’t cut anything, I still carry one. Kinda like my zippo. I quit smoking last year, yet I still carry my lighter everyday. Sometimes I use it, but mostly I don’t.
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

Knives are cutting tools first and foremost.. and in a pinch they're better than nothing for self-defense. So, in my head, I can only rationalize one and a half of these polling points..

If being a bad@ss or looking tough is the main reason someone carries a knife.. they are neither. If you carry a knife primarily to have something to flick around all day long.. buy a d@mn fidget spinner.

I'll concede that some knives are certainly much prettier than others, but this concern is secondary to functionality as a cutting tool.

For me, there is also the preparedness factor. I carry a knife for the same reason I carry a flashlight or first-aid kit or cell phone.. These are useful tools that will likely come in handy in an emergency situation. Better to have them and not need them than to need them and not have them.. so they say..
Last edited by DSH007 on Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Cutting stuff of coarse, but I do like to admire them. I appreciate good design and very much enjoy all of the little things that add up to make a great tool to use and carry.

I agree about the preparedness thing as well. My vehicle and bag are always full of "just in case" things. I'm a minimalist when it comes to my pockets, but having a knife and a flashlight on me at all times also guarantees that I can always open a beer :)
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I carry a knife because I always have. I got my first pocket knife when I was 6 y/o and have had one in my pocket everyday, since. For me, such a knife is a tool. I use one daily to cut something. I find it odd that so many who think carrying a knife is barbaric turn to me when they need something cut. Duh!
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050