Finally picked up a Goldenstone

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
olywa

Finally picked up a Goldenstone

Post by olywa »

When the big auction site had a 15% off sale a little while back I decided it was time to finally pick up a Goldenstone. I freaking love this thing even though I haven't a clue as to how to fully utilize it. I used my most powerful google-fu and found little to nothing exists out there in the interwebs to enlighten me. I find it awkward to use it vertically on a table surface but I imagine that is because I haven't yet figured out how to do so effectively. I could sure use that video tutorial that Sal has talked about making.

So I've been free-handing with it and those convex edges are amazing. Also, I was very pleasantly surprised at how friendly the hand ergos are for free-handing. I brought all my kitchen knives to razor sharp in minutes. If your edge geometry is in pretty good shape to begin with, the Goldenstone and a strop takes care of business in pretty short order. Anyway, kudos and thanks to Spyderco for providing my new favorite free-hand sharpener. I look forward to learning more about how best to utilize this stone and I'll probably spring for the heavier grit model as soon as it becomes available.
JD Spydo

Re: Finally picked up a Goldenstone

Post by JD Spydo »

Don't feel out of sync buddy because I've had my GOLDENSTONE for a little over 5 years now and I still keep learning new tricks with it. Sal keeps telling us that one day he'll do an instructional video that will cover the use of the GOLDENSTONE. Also Spyderco is soon to come out with a base unit for it so you can hone blades at a more narrow angle. Or even adjust the angle with the use of spacers that you could make yourself to be able to do about any angle you deem to be the best for any particular blade steel.

I'm always glad to hear when someone else gets a GOLDENSTONE. Because I believe that the more of us that get them it won't be too long that Spyderco will make it on more grit selections too. I'm getting to where I use mine at least 3 times in a week or better. It's a sharpening tool with a lot of possibilities. Just clean it on a regular basis ( after at least every 2 to 3 sharpenings) with Bar Keeper's Friend cleanser that you can get at most grocery stores or hardware stores or even most discount stores too. The cleaner it is the better it bites into the metal and the more uniform job it does.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I truly think we are going to see some significant changes concerning the GOLDENSTONE. Not only is that base unit that will give you more angle selection about to be available I also think we are going to see it eventually in more grit selections. I can't tell you all how many times I've used the GOLDENSTONE in conjunction with other sharpening tools.

I heard a while back that they are most definitely going to offer a GOLDENSTONE in CBN. That will be a big help and I do believe that will also make it more appealing to those who haven't tried it yet. Because I do think that the lack of information about it has indeed hindered sales.

I've truly been surprised at the very lackluster response from everyone here on the forum because I can only name about 3 people that I know that currently own and use one. You really have to try one of these sharpening stones to appreciate it.
olywa

Post by olywa »

I'm looking forward to both the new base and the CBN version. I've really grown fond of CBN since I got a Double Stuff 2 a while back. Maybe Sal will get a video put together for these new releases.

In the meantime, I've been free-hand sharpening everything that's dull with the Goldenstone and it just plain works. I just touched up my kitchen shears and a hatchet yesterday and it did a great job. If anyone is on the fence about picking one of these up, I encourage you to do so. I don't think you'll regret it.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

This thread is even baffling to me :confused: Because I figured by now there would at least be a half a dozen guys chime in about their GOLDENSTONES :confused: To me it's a big part of the next step Spyderco is going in their constant advancement of their great line of sharpening tools. I do think that the GOLDENSTONE is here to stay and will only get better with time with more grit selections and be used in more applications.

The base unit will be a big step forward and I believe that will intrigue a lot of people to check out the GOLDENSTONE that hasn't already done so. Also it's another choice of their great line up of portable sharpening tools you can take with you almost anywhere. Not to mention that it can do serrated and plain edges both.

My next wish is a GOLDENSTONE in Ultra-Fine>> yeah that's the next one I'm going to lobby for.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi,

My bad on the Golden stone. I do have a plan but am having execution problems. Still plan a video, 30 degree stand, CBN version. I guess we can considered an ultra fine if the model is successful?

I'm on the road right now and have one with me, along with a stand, Duckfoot and double stuff 2.

sal
fixall

Post by fixall »

I use a regular double stuff and a Fallkniven DC4 as my camping/travel stones (double stuff for touch ups and DC4 for reprofiling).

I’ve been patiently waiting for the CBN Golden Stone to come out so I can snag on to replace my Fallkniven. I really can’t think of a better travel setup than a CBN or diamond Golden Stone and Double Stuff. You’d have a compact, coarse stone with a set angle that would allow you to easily set a profile or remove a large chip while out in the sticks... And would have a VERY compact and lightweight Medium/fine stone for day to day touch ups or when you need a scary sharp edge.

Just sounds like perfection to me.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

sal wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:25 pm
Hi,

My bad on the Golden stone. I do have a plan but am having execution problems. Still plan a video, 30 degree stand, CBN version. I guess we can considered an ultra fine if the model is successful?

I'm on the road right now and have one with me, along with a stand, Duckfoot and double stuff 2.

sal

I think I already know the answer to this but I'd be more interested in a medium grit/brown version like the Sharpmaker uses if it's ever possible. I use mine mostly for serrations so CBN is overkill and the fine/ultra fine are a little lacking sometimes if they get really dull.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

fixall wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:39 pm
I use a regular double stuff and a Fallkniven DC4 as my camping/travel stones (double stuff for touch ups and DC4 for reprofiling).

I’ve been patiently waiting for the CBN Golden Stone to come out so I can snag on to replace my Fallkniven. I really can’t think of a better travel setup than a CBN or diamond Golden Stone and Double Stuff. You’d have a compact, coarse stone with a set angle that would allow you to easily set a profile or remove a large chip while out in the sticks... And would have a VERY compact and lightweight Medium/fine stone for day to day touch ups or when you need a scary sharp edge.

Just sounds like perfection to me.
It sounds like you are on the same page as I am "fixall" because I'm wanting to assemble a nice small group of portable sharpening tools ideal for travel and small enough that I can tote in one of my Victorinox fanny packs. Also enough sharpening tools to cover both major edge types as well as being able to sharpen other edged tools as well.

Getting organized with small/portable but yet efficient sharpening tools is a great addition for any survival kit IMO.

Trying to get into the mind of Dr. Glesser :D our in house sharpening genius I'm still trying to put together all the attributes that are in the overall design of the GOLDENSTONE> I can see enough of the advantages of the design to see that it's potential will cover many sharpening jobs. But I also think that the base unit and more grit selections or any other hardware that might come along will make this tool a big seller at some point.
olywa

Post by olywa »

sal wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:25 pm
Hi,

sal
Hello Sal,
Any chance of seeing what your 30 degree base stand looks like? Love a pic if you've got the time.
kodai78
Location: “Beam me up Scotty, there’s no intelligent life down here.”

Post by kodai78 »

I'm firmly convinced the Sharpmaker is the best, but I could be tempted by the Goldenstone with a base. Would definitely be interested in a range of grits.
:spyder: Shaman REX 45, Smock, Baby Jess Horn CE, Spydiechef, Schempp Bowie,Ti Fluted Military, Titanium Military, Native S30 V and G10, PM 2 in S35VN, and S110V, Manix 2 LW BD1 and SPY 27, Sage 5, Positron black CPM S30V, Chaparral w/Raffir Noble scales, SuperLeaf VG 10, Ladybug H1, Dragonfly 2 in ZDP 189 and Superblue/420J1 and H1, Delica in ZDP 189, Clipitool Standard, the Cook’s knife VG10, Santoku, paring and utility knives, all in MBS 26. :spyder:
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

kodai78 wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:26 pm
I'm firmly convinced the Sharpmaker is the best, but I could be tempted by the Goldenstone with a base. Would definitely be interested in a range of grits.
Oh I'm not about to give up on my two Sharpmakers. But I do believe that these GOLDENSTONES are going to be a great addition to my other great Spyderco sharpening tools. The base unit is well overdue but will be here soon I'm sure of it. I'm still on pins and needles waiting for the GaUNTLET system to arrive.

This GOLDENSTONE really grows on you. Because every time I use it I like it even more. I would love to have the GOLDENSTONE in about 4 to 5 different grits.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I would never rely on a Goldenstone as my only sharpener but it's smaller and easier to use in the field so it stays in my EDC bag. I don't wanna break out a Sharpmaker at work. What I really want is a Sharpmaker rod holder that will hold 2 stones and fold up when not being used.
~David
Calicoast

Post by Calicoast »

Evil D wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:13 pm
I would never rely on a Goldenstone as my only sharpener but it's smaller and easier to use in the field so it stays in my EDC bag. I don't wanna break out a Sharpmaker at work. What I really want is a Sharpmaker rod holder that will hold 2 stones and fold up when not being used.
That would be nice.
C
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

I have both the sharpmaker and the Goldenstone -- I don't think one replaces the other.

There are at least two things I like about the Goldenstone. First and foremost, you can just stick it in your pocket (if you have a good sized pocket, like I do) and with just it and a tabletop be doing a good job sharpening knives. You can certainly use it freehand as well, but then you could just be using any stone and I would probably pick a doublestuff if that is your game. The second thing I like is the curved edges that you run the knife along. I find that much more forgiving than using the flats on the sharpmaker.

I don't actually carry it around in my pocket. I just mention that to underscore the portability and convenience. I would slip it into my pack -- or my purse if I carried one (which I don't).

I'm not sure about the base. To my mind that would kind of defeat the elegance of the Goldenstone. If I am going to fool around with a base and the Goldenstone, I may as well just set up the Sharpmaker is my thinking.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:13 pm
Yeah that's kind of where I'm at in the present time. Actually there isn't just one sharpening kit or tool that I would ever totally a completely rely on. Because even with the very same blade I've found that no two sharpening jobs are exactly alike. And each sharpening job has it's own problems and most require a different regimen all together.

I'm still anxiously awaiting this GAUNTLET sharpening kit that is long overdue. From what I'm told it's got some neat features to it and is able to sharpen a wider array of different blades and other edged tools.

But I am optimistic about the future of the GOLDENSTONE and I do think that Spyderco wants this sharpening tool to succeed. Because it is very portable and quick to set up. It also has done me a very consistent job by and large. The GOLDENSTONE really doesn't replace the Sharpmaker or any other tool for that matter. But I am sure that Spyderco does have plans for it down the road.
Holland

Post by Holland »

Thanks for the write up! I am going to through one of these in the cart the next time I buy knives.

I too would be more interested in a medium grit version
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:12 pm
I have both the sharpmaker and the Goldenstone -- I don't think one replaces the other.

I'm not sure about the base. To my mind that would kind of defeat the elegance of the Goldenstone. If I am going to fool around with a base and the Goldenstone, I may as well just set up the Sharpmaker is my thinking.
Oh no the base unit is most definitely going to be a nice amenity and a great addition to the GOLDENSTONE. To add the option of another angle to select from will give the tool a lot more than just one additional option as well. I'm not sure how you might be able to clamp this base to a table but I'm sure it will have something built into the unit that will allow you to do that.

Like with the 204 Sharpmaker for instance>> I use a Vice Grip 11P welding clamp to secure my 204 Sharpmaker units to make them solid with the base you will be working from. It's improved my Sharpmaker results three times over at least. I'm also hoping that the upcoming GAUNTLET will have a way to firmly clamp and secure it to the work surface. I'm looking forward to all the new sharpening tools coming down the Spyderco product pipeline.

Hopefully this new base unit will also give us more clues as to how to better use the GOLDENSTONE as well.
NickShabazz

Post by NickShabazz »

I've had one (sent from Spyderco, full disclosure) for a few months. It's taken me a while to 'get my head around it', but I've actually come to really like it. I absolutely wouldn't want to reprofile a fully dull knife on it, but it's the first thing I find myself reaching for when something's "just a bit dull" and a strop doesn't help anymore. It's faster than taking out the Sharpmaker or KME, a bit easier to use than the ceramic rods, and with the ability to 'cheat' out a quick fixed angle bevel using the base, it's pretty flexible.

I too would love to see a tutorial video, as I get the sense it's probably more flexible than I've realized.
Mourning the Slysz Bowie and loving the rest of Spyderco's gems. Check out my reviews at https://www.youtube.com/c/nickshabazz!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Sometimes I get the sense that I'm the only one who rarely puts my Sharpmaker "away" all closed up when I'm not using it. It stays on the side of my desk ready to go.
~David