Chaparral... Liner Lock?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Sharp Guy

Re: Chaparral... Liner Lock?

Post by Sharp Guy »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:42 pm
....Why in the world would I want a knife that has a poorer lock that is not as safe in the pocket, on a pocket knife?
This statement surprised me coming from someone who promotes the Spyderco Cat quite often. :rolleyes:

There's nothing wrong with a well-executed liner or frame-lock.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

kpatr4 wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:20 am
The Chaparral is a great knife. It has been on my list of knives to get for nearly four years, but for one reason or another it hadn't landed in my pocket until this past month. And now that it is... WOW. That said, I wish there was a liner lock version available. I'm no designer, but taking the same construction (thin blade, super-thin washers, and therefore a thin handle), I think it would be one heck of a small gents knife and something fun to fidget with as well. What are your thoughts on this idea?

PS: I understand that the Chaparral series is to focus on scales/handles as opposed to locking mechanism, That said, a liner lock would still be wonderful.
The C22 Michael Walker fits your needs. Been trying to get Sal to do another run even though I managed to get a spare of the last ZDP/CF run :D
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

It’s interesting that people feel offering a variant with a different lock would somehow detract from the existing model...

Personally i don’t know that a liner lock would be a great option on the Chappy but I can see a frame lock working, not that there is anything wrong with the liner lock but being a thin and tall handle it may not be as comfortable to operate the lock
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Jazz wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:26 am
Liner lock? Have you been drinking?
Here Here!

Skip the booze. Have a **** and a backlock instead! :D
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
araneae

Post by araneae »

Daveho wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:29 pm
It’s interesting that people feel offering a variant with a different lock would somehow detract from the existing model...

Personally i don’t know that a liner lock would be a great option on the Chappy but I can see a frame lock working, not that there is anything wrong with the liner lock but being a thin and tall handle it may not be as comfortable to operate the lock
The idea behind the Chap line is to swap handle materials, not lock designs. As Sal said, that's basically a new model...
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
kpatr4

Post by kpatr4 »

Daveho wrote:
I certainly see the point and a frame lock would likely be more popular, but add quite a bit of weight. I'm not sure how a liner lock would work out given the thinness of the handle and general shape of the Chap. I'm not well versed in the forum's rules, so I'll only will say that there are certainly others well made liner lock knives that manage a handle thickness in the ball park of the Chap. Spyderco seems to have done similiar as well, though I have not had the experience due to being discontinued. The added bonus of the steel liner is that much less thickness is required for a stable lock up then say titanium, especially with the thin stock of this knife. Then again to mimic the access to the liner lock that the Sage 1 provides may take away from it structurally due shorter height of the Chap's handles and the necessary cutout on the show side/non-locking side... No idea.
araneae wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:03 pm
The idea behind the Chap line is to swap handle materials, not lock designs. As Sal said, that's basically a new model...
While you did quote Daveho, I have prefaced this a couple times. I started this with the understanding that any such liner locking Chap being produced was highly unlikely due to the point you mentioned as well as those that Sal mentioned... simply looked for opinions to see how others felt about the idea, hoping some sort of discussion could evolve. It being unlikely makes this all hypothetical. This could occur with any knife for that matter. I choose the Chap because it a knife that checks nearly all my boxes and seems to be popular as well.
Last edited by kpatr4 on Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kpatr4

Post by kpatr4 »

NoFair wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:54 pm
The C22 Michael Walker fits your needs. Been trying to get Sal to do another run even though I managed to get a spare of the last ZDP/CF run :D
Thanks. Looks interesting. I'll keep my eyes peeled.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:25 pm
Doc Dan wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:42 pm
....Why in the world would I want a knife that has a poorer lock that is not as safe in the pocket, on a pocket knife?
This statement surprised me coming from someone who promotes the Spyderco Cat quite often. :rolleyes:

There's nothing wrong with a well-executed liner or frame-lock.
Yes, but I do not want it in a fine knife like the Chaparral. That is my preference. I realize I may have sounded a bit strong, but that is what I think. I have good reasons to prefer the back lock, as I have stated in the past. Yes, for the money, I like the Cat. I have also said (before the Chaparral came out) that it would be better with a back lock. I now have the back lock in the Chaparral so I have no further need to say that of the Cat. The Cat is an amazing value in a knife, however, and the detent in the one I have is surprisingly strong, the fit and finish are excellent (even the jimping).
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
araneae

Post by araneae »

What Sal really needs to do is put BD1 in the FRN Chap and start selling more to the non-afi market. It would be a killer knife at the $50-60-ish dollar mark.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

araneae wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:03 pm
Daveho wrote:

Like all the sages are new models or the lil natives
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

The Chaparral is a fine knife as it is. It is my favorite in the 2.25 to 3" blade range, but far. However, this is partly because it meets my needs. If I needed a stouter knife, then another model would take its place. But, for my uses, I prefer the Chaparral, with the back lock. I also like that it comes in different scale materials as that adds value and a coolness factor.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
aquaman67

Post by aquaman67 »

For the record I hate liner locks and will never buy one.

I have a Lightweight Chaparral in the Mail.
Blade and Flame

Post by Blade and Flame »

kpatr4 wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:42 pm
NoFair wrote:
Next year is our year.
http://www.spyderco.com/forumII/viewtop ... &p=1209346
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

aquaman67 wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:49 am
For the record I hate liner locks and will never buy one.

I have a Lightweight Chaparral in the Mail.
Great choice, you are going to love it. It is so slim it vanishes in the pocket. That thin blade really cuts well, too.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
kpatr4

Post by kpatr4 »

Blade and Flame wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:35 am
kpatr4 wrote:
NoFair wrote:
Next year is our year.

:D
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

I would prefer all my knives to be liner locks, Chaparrel included.
Blade and Flame wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:35 am
kpatr4 wrote:
NoFair wrote:
Next year is our year.
I hope this happens in Hap40.
M4Life

Post by M4Life »

The chaparral is so thin, is it even possible to make a liner lock for it without making the handle thicker to accommodate it?
Just a man with a plan and a knife in hand.

My knives: Para 3 S110V (customized), Para 3 M390, PM2 S110V, Manix 2 CPM 154/S90V, Dice, Rubicon, Vrango, Native 5 CPM 154/S90V, Manbug ZDP-189, Ladybug, Chaparral LW, Kizer Megatherium
M4Life

Post by M4Life »

sal wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:33 pm
Some people like strength, some like ease and convenience, some like strong self close. As Kpatr4 said, it gets down to a matter of preference. That's why we make to **** many locks and we've got a few more in-the-works.
Can't wait to see what you guys cook up next :)
Just a man with a plan and a knife in hand.

My knives: Para 3 S110V (customized), Para 3 M390, PM2 S110V, Manix 2 CPM 154/S90V, Dice, Rubicon, Vrango, Native 5 CPM 154/S90V, Manbug ZDP-189, Ladybug, Chaparral LW, Kizer Megatherium
jkgoggins

Post by jkgoggins »

I think this idea is worth re-visitng! IMO the Chaparral is already one of the best knives on the market, but it lacks the action/fidget/fun factor of a liner or compression lock.

I think there is a huge demand for this. The bugout is probably the best-selling knife on the market, and the recipe is: super thin slicey blade + fidgety lock + slim profile = awesome. The WE Banter, Ritter Hogue, Tactile Knife Co knives are similar. My favorite examples are the TRM Neutron and Atom. They are insanely good, popular knives because they're simple but have great actions and super-thin blades. The TRM's are very hard to find, so I'd love to see Spyderco go head-to-head with something super thin, light-weight, with a great action.

The Chaparral is already insanely slicey, aesthetically awesome (I love the gray FRN + pattern), light-weight, and comes in a great steel. If it also came in a linerlock (like the sage series), I think it would be THE BEST Spyderco on the market for anyone not doing hard use.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

jkgoggins wrote:
Tue Mar 15, 2022 12:42 pm
I think this idea is worth re-visitng! IMO the Chaparral is already one of the best knives on the market, but it lacks the action/fidget/fun factor of a liner or compression lock.

I think there is a huge demand for this. The bugout is probably the best-selling knife on the market, and the recipe is: super thin slicey blade + fidgety lock + slim profile = awesome. The WE Banter, Ritter Hogue, Tactile Knife Co knives are similar. My favorite examples are the TRM Neutron and Atom. They are insanely good, popular knives because they're simple but have great actions and super-thin blades. The TRM's are very hard to find, so I'd love to see Spyderco go head-to-head with something super thin, light-weight, with a great action.

The Chaparral is already insanely slicey, aesthetically awesome (I love the gray FRN + pattern), light-weight, and comes in a great steel. If it also came in a linerlock (like the sage series), I think it would be THE BEST Spyderco on the market for anyone not doing hard use.

Not meaning to dismiss your input, but here are my thoughts:

1.) I don´t think the Chaparral could be as thin as it is (at least not the FRN version I own) and feature a linerlock. Would not offer enough lock interface probably, while if one wants to design the thinnest folder possible, a backlock is the way to go

2.) I think Spyderco already HAS the perfect "better Bugout" with the Salt 2 ffg - lighter than a Chap, and in size closer to a Bugout (which has not a really THIN handle imo), and with almost as thin blade stock (Salt 2.5, Bugout about 2.3 mm - additionally the taller blade and true ffg of the Salt 2 makes probably for a better cutting geometry) - even started a thread about this, see HERE viewtopic.php?f=2&t=88925
The Salt also WOULD be thick enough overall to technically work with a linerlock

3.) As I always say: The Chaparral IS perfectly suited for "hard use" - just try! :smlling-eyes
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)