J. D. Smith custom knives?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
4077th

J. D. Smith custom knives?

Post by 4077th »

I recently picked up a serrated JD Smith from the Spyderco Factory Outlet on clearance. Neat knife, sort of the great grandson of the Buck 110. While working some Militec-1 into the pivot, I decided to find out more about the man behind the design.

My web searches for "real" JD Smith customs were futile. The man doesn't even have a website. The American Bladesmith Society has him listed as a member but provides no other info.

All I could really put together so far is that JD Smith either owns or works for a company called HammerSmith Knives. They don't have a website either.

I would think he'd try to cash in on the name recognition of the Spyderco collaboration. Unless he's TRYING to stay out of the limelight. Maybe he's backordered into the next century and doesn't want to answer a bunch of email.

Anybody know?
toothed

Post by toothed »

Good question, 4077th. I'm a fan of the Spyderco JD Smith also. Awhile back I tried looking for more knives from Smith but all I could find was information that he made swords. I wouldn't mind seeing some archived galleries of his early works. (I'm assuming he's a retired knifemaker by now).
Bryce c

Post by Bryce c »

J.D. most certainly is not retired. In fact he just put out a new cd for bladesmiths. He's been featured in blade not too long ago, and is still very active. If your interested in some sick damascus blades, and have the money for custom work, you could probably hunt him down through either http://www.swordforum.com or through the Mass Art school where he teaches. He is a boston based maker.
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

what a coincidence -- i JUST bought a spyderco smith SE today!
JD Spydo

Terribly underrated

Post by JD Spydo »

I have always thought that the JD Smith deserved a lot more fanfare than that knife got. It is one of my top 10 favorites of all time in the Spyder gallery. I can't understand why that knife never got any further than it did. I gave one to a friend of mine for Christmas and he was/still is elated. He still calls me about twice a week to bragg on that knife. I just wish I could get my PE JD Smith turned into a CE. I hope he does another knife for the Great Spyder Factory. JD Spydo ( no I wasn't named after him) :D
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

yea -- it's definitely one sexy looking knife!
4077th

Post by 4077th »

Actually my JD Smith folder was the dullest serrated Spyderco (factory edge) I've ever handled. It is also the hardest to open even after repeated lubrication with all manner of space age lubricants. Some research over at BF.com revealed a number of complaints with the first run. Later runs had a different maker and the problems were supposedly solved. Since I purchased mine on closeout, I assume it is a "second generation" model.

I still like the design as it puts me in mind of the classic Buck 110 and it's wicked pointy. Mine's just not a shining example of what Spyderco is capable of.
jdsmith02115

not dead, not retired

Post by jdsmith02115 »

Rumors of my retirement have been greatly exagerated,
The last few years have been spent working on a multimedia project on damascus steel. It's done finally. As well, take look at the webpage it will provide more info on the damascus project and you may see images of my work also.
j.d.
jdsmith02115

address

Post by jdsmith02115 »

sallyayne

Damascus Knife by J.D. Smith

Post by sallyayne »

I have a Damascus Knife made by J.D. Smith. The handle is wood, but becuase it is made with two pieces, the handle is slightly splitting. Any ideas on who or how to repair this problem. I've enclosed a few photos of it. [ATTACH]21459[/ATTACH][ATTACH]21460[/ATTACH][ATTACH]21461[/ATTACH][ATTACH]21462[/ATTACH]
Attachments
DSC05618.jpg
DSC05617.jpg
DSC05597.jpg
DSC05632.jpg
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Beautiful knife. You might try contacting J D Smith directly. http://www.americanbladesmith.com/index ... ser_id=265
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!