Hide Ability between my Spyderco PM2 and my Kershaw Blackout

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
snapshot2017

Hide Ability between my Spyderco PM2 and my Kershaw Blackout

Post by snapshot2017 »

One item i have noticed is the hide ability between my new Spyrerco PM2 and my Kershaw Blackout, i keep my knives tucked into my pants front, notice in picture how the Kershaw Blackout hides better then the Spyrerco PM2.

Even if both were in a side pants pocket, the Kershaw Blackout hides much better then the Spyderco PM2.
Attachments
Re-Sized Hide Ability of two knives.jpg__1535815859_68.0.79.144.jpg
Re-Sized Hide Ability of two knives.jpg__1535815859_68.0.79.144.jpg (14.62 KiB) Viewed 3331 times
Sjucaveman

Re: Hide Ability between my Spyderco PM2 and my Kershaw Blackout

Post by Sjucaveman »

snapshot2017 wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:38 am
One item i have noticed is the hide ability between my new Spyrerco PM2 and my Kershaw Blackout, i keep my knives tucked into my pants front, notice in picture how the Kershaw Blackout hides better then the Spyrerco PM2.

Even if both were in a side pants pocket, the Kershaw Blackout hides much better then the Spyderco PM2.
Many of us purchase deep carry clips made by lynch northwest or mxg. Then it will sit flush with the pant waist.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Adam
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Ah yes, but which one is easier to get out when you need it?

There is a trade off here. Some like discretion and some like easy accessibility. There is no right or wrong answer here but just personal preference. I like easy accessibility and have zero need for discretion.

I don't find appendix carry very comfortable but I would imagine that deep carry is more comfortable in that position for those who do like that spot.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
brainfriction

Post by brainfriction »

Even with the titanium MXG clip it's very easy to draw from my pocket or waistband, plus I also go over the g10 with 1000 grit sandpaper to smooth it out. New g10 is really grabby especially on denim imo.
snapshot2017

Post by snapshot2017 »

Sjucaveman wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:40 am
snapshot2017 wrote:

Many of us purchase deep carry clips made by lynch northwest or mxg. Then it will sit flush with the pant waist.
I just hate getting away from the original Spyderco's clips, i feel when you replace what the original Mfg. has with something after market, you lose something of the value from the item.
Chinook3

Post by Chinook3 »

Be careful I and others have had the pm2 open up while carrying IWB. I only carry lockbacks IWB now.
My response is "Just because you can't see it, doesn't mean it isn't there, it just means you can't see it". Sal G.
Sjucaveman

Post by Sjucaveman »

snapshot2017 wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:36 am
Sjucaveman wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:40 am
snapshot2017 wrote:

I just hate getting away from the original Spyderco's clips, i feel when you replace what the original Mfg. has with something after market, you lose something of the value from the item.
I agree and save all original clips in original boxes.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Adam
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

I certainly agree about carrying non-back locks IWB. Why take the chance of a trip to the ER?
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
vivi

Post by vivi »

Chinook3 wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:07 am
Be careful I and others have had the pm2 open up while carrying IWB. I only carry lockbacks IWB now.
Got poked in the hip by mine carrying tip up IWB. That's why I stick to backlocks now.
:unicorn
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

For me IWB doesn’t make a lot of sense, folk seem to be all for it in a “Professional” setting and either;
A: a knife is required and really hiding it in your wasteband is a waste of time as you need to be accessing it regularly.

B: a knife is required and having it in a pocket would make more sense however these knives rip the crap out of your pants so perhaps keeping your knife in your pocket would be better.

But then of cause the PM2 wouldn’t be the idea knife.. this is truely a challenge..
vivi

Post by vivi »

The more active my day is going to be, the more likely it is to be there. If I'm jogging or hiking, having it clipped to my pocket feels much worse bouncing off my thigh than IWB staying put.

If I'm doing something where I need my knife frequently, I can always clip it to my pocket then move it back IWB when I'm done. I don't find it difficult to access either way.

It's all carry comfort for me. I don't care about hiding it.
:unicorn
bearfacedkiller

I carry IWB at 4:00 all the time. I have jogged thousands of miles with a knife there, often a Para2. It is extremely comfortable, effortless to access and it has never opened on me. To me it seems like the most secure place possible to carry a knife. This has always been tip down.

When wearing regular pants I always carry in my back pocket though.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i used to prefer deep carry for concealment, but the clip is a dead giveaway anyway and i find a little bit of knife sticking out makes it much more convenient to grab when i need it. if i don’t want my knife seen, it can go in a backpack, pocket, or in my waistband. i carry my pacific salt in my waistband about 90% of the time i’m not at work and 100% of the time i’m working out or in the water. i typically also have a main (non-serrated) blade in my pocket; either my manix 2 lw or my esee avispa lately.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
husq2100

Post by husq2100 »

to me that looks to be an uncomfortable place to carry.. Wht about bending over? Also my hands naturally hang at my sides, not at my crotch... unless its itchy of course lol

As for "value", when you own a knife, whether safe queen or user, do you value it by others or by you. Its only important what its "worth" to you. If its a user and changing the clip means its just that bit better for "Your" use, then its a no brainer
Studey

Post by Studey »

husq2100 wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:17 am
to me that looks to be an uncomfortable place to carry.. Wht about bending over?

You can bend over just fine. People make the same statement about carrying a pistol AIWB.
husq2100

Post by husq2100 »

What is the advantage of carrying in this position over others?
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

husq2100 wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:49 am
What is the advantage of carrying in this position over others?
If you carry a knife or gun IWB or AIWB wearing an untucked shirt they will be totally concealed. AIWB is quicker to access especially when sitting. It is not a lot quicker if standing but it is much easier and quicker when sitting especially if one is strapped in by a seat belt. I used to carry AIWB but these days I find it more comfortable to carry at 3 or 4 o’clock.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
bearfacedkiller

I find appendix carry uncomfortable both when sitting and when bending over. I guess we are all different but I have tried multiple times and just don’t get it.

I find carrying a knife at 4:00 extremely comfortable and often forget its there. I also have found that carrying a .380 in my front pocket is the most unobtrusive way to carry a CCW. I often forget it’s there. I am also kind of a hugger and I don’t want people feeling a strange lump on my hip.
-Darby
embry386

Post by embry386 »

This only works for lightweight knives, but clipping a knife to my sock is the #1 most comfortable way I've discovered to carry one.

For hiding knives better -- maybe try stonewashing the clip so it's less shiny?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'll never understand appendix carry of knives or guns. I'd rather get shot/stabbed in the hip/butt than in the crotch. Noooooo thank you. It doesn't matter how many reliable solutions there are, it's just a mental block that I can't and honestly don't care to get past lol.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David