Knife Birthday Present

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Kuratar

Knife Birthday Present

Post by Kuratar »

My father's birthday is coming up soon and I want to get him a knife as a birthday present. I would prefer a hard use knife for my father because he is a construction worker so I was planning on getting the paramilitary 2. On blade hq, they have a S35VN and 52100 version while knifecenter has a cruwear exclusive. My question is that which steel is best for hard use and if there are better knives/steels for hard use I would like to consider them in the equation. Thanks!
husq2100

Re: Knife Birthday Present

Post by husq2100 »

IMO the PM2 is a great choice. Im bais though as I love them. I also think the S35V is great bang for buck steel and punches above its weight. Im not saying it is necessarily better than the 52100 or Cru-Wear. Its Brown G10 will set it a little apart from the black of many others. But definitely wait for others (more knowledgable than me) to chime in. The smooth G10 on the Cru-Wear is nice also.
Robbob

Post by Robbob »

One thing to keep in mind is maintenance requirements. 52100 is going to be very prone to corrosion whereas S35VN is much easier to care for.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Kuratar,

Welcome to our forum..

I would suggest S35VN. Less maintenance than 52100 or Cruwear.

sal
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

What Mr Glesser said. Particularly for a construction worker and if you’re dad isn’t a knife knut. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
husq2100

Post by husq2100 »

Oh and to add, its an old knife tradition to give a coin with the knife. Your father gives you the coin back in return as to symbolise "buying" the knife from you, as a gifted knife can "cut" the relationship.
Eli Chaps

Post by Eli Chaps »

Bright orange or blue Endura in VG10. Tough, rugged, big, won't break the bank if it gets damaged or stolen and easily identifiable.
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

I'd say if you're going PM2, and you're already thinking of getting one of the non-standard steels, give the S110V a look. It's not that much more than the s35vn version, and that steel is going to provide a noticeable boost in wear resistance vs. just about anything.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Kuratar wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:18 am
My father's birthday is coming up soon and I want to get him a knife as a birthday present. I would prefer a hard use knife for my father because he is a construction worker so I was planning on getting the paramilitary 2. On blade hq, they have a S35VN and 52100 version while knifecenter has a cruwear exclusive. My question is that which steel is best for hard use and if there are better knives/steels for hard use I would like to consider them in the equation. Thanks!
Of those three choices, I'd go with the S35VN.

Question: how much of a "knife guy" is your father? What kind of sharpener/sharpening skills does he have?
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

dj moonbat wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:03 am
I'd say if you're going PM2, and you're already thinking of getting one of the non-standard steels, give the S110V a look. It's not that much more than the s35vn version, and that steel is going to provide a noticeable boost in wear resistance vs. just about anything.
+1. I have no hesitation using this knife for whatever comes up!
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

HOWEVER, there is the knifeworks.com exclusive hard use Manix 2 in 52100 with DLC coating. That would be tough, easy to sharpen, and have good corrosion resistance (DLC).
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Kuratar

Post by Kuratar »

The Meat man wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:24 am
Kuratar wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:18 am
Of those three choices, I'd go with the S35VN.

Question: how much of a "knife guy" is your father? What kind of sharpener/sharpening skills does he have?
He's not really a knife guy but he's curious about them when I buy a new knife. His sharpening skills are mostly with kitchen knives if that is enough information with you.
brainfriction

Post by brainfriction »

The standard s30v is good too. All around good performance, and I like the fact that it's easy to sharpen.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Carribean Leaf PE.

I am a fellow worker in the construction field and I carry this knife daily. It has been impervious to any sort of neglect and takes a razor sharp edge very easily and holds it quite well.

You can get one on ebay right now quite cheaply with an offer and the 15% coupon.

Edit: That is not a chip on the Caribbean, it's caulking from a window today. :P
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
embry386

Post by embry386 »

Eli Chaps wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:02 am
Bright orange or blue Endura in VG10. Tough, rugged, big, won't break the bank if it gets damaged or stolen and easily identifiable.
Orange Endura would be great, there's a very comfortable handle on those, good for using for long periods of time. I don't personally like the PM2 much and don't own one because the handle has sharper angles which can get uncomfortable, especially with lots of hard use I'm guessing. But maybe that's just the way my hand fits the PM2, everyone else who has larger hands seems to love their PM2 a lot, so... *shrug*

If you go with the PM2, and your father isn't a knife nut who will carefully clean his knives every night, then get it in a steel that doesn't rust easily. S35VN is significantly tougher than S30V, and much more stainless than the other options you talked about; it's a good choice.