Thoughts on new micarta handle spydies?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bearfacedkiller

Re: Thoughts on new micarta handle spydies?

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I believe that the Street Beat and the Temperance2 were the last micarta offerings and both got discontinued recently.

I am inclined to say that price killed them but then I see how much CF they sell and it makes me wonder. I guess folks are willing to pay a premium for CF but not micarta?
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
biZ

Post by biZ »

What a coincidence. Yesterday I actually did have thoughts on new micarta handle spydies. I was thinking I would like to have one.
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

For me, the ultimate micarta knife would be a Military with micarta crafted from old M65 uniforms. The ultimate homage to all who served.
Second i'd love more white micarta (or polished G10) far too few white handled knives around! And please, all of you who get your knives dirty - c'mon, you have like a hundred models to choose from already! ;)
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Larry_Mott wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:59 pm
For me, the ultimate micarta knife would be a Military with micarta crafted from old M65 uniforms. The ultimate homage to all who served.
Second i'd love more white micarta (or polished G10) far too few white handled knives around! And please, all of you who get your knives dirty - c'mon, you have like a hundred models to choose from already! ;)

I agree on the White. White Micarta, white G10, or especially white FRN. Especially when paired with a DLC blade.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

I had this one customised. It came out so nice i am thinking of a da capo with a fancier model.

"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
ZeroRange

Post by ZeroRange »

My only Spyderco micarta experience is with my Persian but I love that knife. I don't know what polished g10 feels like so I can't compare but I'd love some more polished or rough micarta.
Supacede

Post by Supacede »

It'd be neat to know who manufactured the original spyderco micarta some 20+ years ago and if current material/methods match the old stuff to any degree..
vivi

Post by vivi »

I'd love to see some micarta handle folders and fixed blades. I really like the micarta scales on my Izula 2.
:unicorn
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

I wonder what issues micarta has as knife scales.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

Micarta is great. It retains some sort of organic feel that most modern, resin-based scale materials lack.
Calicoast

Post by Calicoast »

MichaelScott wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:07 pm
I could be wrong, but I thought I read somewhere that the scales can shrink and or crack up with heat, travel, etc?
Maybe the smooth micarta?

Beyond the cost, it's tops in my opinion.
C
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Calicoast wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:30 pm
MichaelScott wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:07 pm
I could be wrong, but I thought I read somewhere that the scales can shrink and or crack up with heat, travel, etc?
Maybe the smooth micarta?

Beyond the cost, it's tops in my opinion.
C

There is this other "forum" out there on the interwebs...it's all about "blades"...and there are a lot of good archived discussions about micarta and handle materials. Well made canvas or linen micarta is plenty tough and stable. It is used in hundreds of thousands of outdoor and survival knives and I don't ever recall ever hearing of any issues with a Micarta handle on any of the forums I browse. Even a google search yields nothing as far as issue with Micarta. You would think Esee, Bark River, LT Wright, Adventure Sworn, TOPS, and others would stop using Micarta if they were constantly dealing with warranty issues. And like I said, these are knives geared toward the survival crowd. Knives that go to deserted islands, jungles, rainforest, deserts, wars, etc.

I love Micarta, especially bead blasted matte finished micarta as it provides a very good grip. Burgundy, green, and denim micartas are absolutely stunning. And I would have zero hesitation about using any of my micarta fixed blades in the harshest of conditions.

I am super excited for a Cruwear Micarta Shaman, but slightly disappointed in the light brown color choice. The green micarta I feel is the best looking for a neutral safe choice. Burgundy would really be my first choice though.
Last edited by steelcity16 on Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Calicoast

Post by Calicoast »

^^^
I have had several micarta scales, and I have never had any problems whatsoever in any climate, etc.
Thought I read that somewhere, but don't want to go on any hearsay, only factual information.

That's what I don't understand, all these other brands are delivering on the micarta, some brands delivering as well at a decent price. I know the Shaman is coming, but I am stacked on folders. Hopefully we will see some more Micarta in fixed blades in the future.
C
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

I agree it’s long past time to reintroduce Micarta handles into the Spyderco lineup. A good number of custom scales I order for my knives are Micarta-based, and I’ve had no issues. Nor do I see any issues with the many Micarta old school Spydies I have.

I’m sure whatever happened previously regarding Sal’s Micarta experiences are strong enough to have him always respond in the negative to this request, but it is indeed soon to be 2020 folks.

It’s time!
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
argyle1812

Post by argyle1812 »

I would love to see a micarta Shaman or Manix backlock.
Calicoast

Post by Calicoast »

^^^
No doubt.

https://spyderco.com/forumII/viewtopic.php?t=65559

Maybe there were issues related to the linen micarta in the past with the manufacturing: resin + pilot hole cracks?

In any case, in Sal I trust.
Take my money.
C
Supacede

Post by Supacede »

dj moonbat wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:29 pm
Micarta is great. It retains some sort of organic feel that most modern, resin-based scale materials lack.
Absolutely, my exact thought.
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

Micarta is nice for variety. In general I think I prefer G-10 on a folder.
MadmanR1

Post by MadmanR1 »

The only downside I know of over G10 is stiffness. Micarta seems to flex more so any design that has thin scales that add structural rigidity would be difficult in micarta. I've spent a fortune on custom micarta PM2 scales and always been disappointed due to flex when engaging the lock.

I made a bunch of kitchen knives with canvas micarta handles and gave them to family as a Christmas present. They get put through the dishwasher unfortunately but they are holding up fine. Stuff is durable.