Worst things to cut thread

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SF Native

Worst things to cut thread

Post by SF Native »

Ok, I’m not talking about cutting your own finger, stabbing the family dog or anything like that.

For a while I thought that carpet was the worst thing to wear down a blade. The last few weeks as I’m working on my house I discovered fiberglass batt insulation. My poor endura is already the red headed stepchild and gets all the hard tasks. Not only does the paper backing has black goop to gum up the blade but the glass fibers dull the blade pretty severely in maybe an hour or half hour of use. I’m resharpened frequently. I guess it’s not surprising as it is glass fiber.

What about you? What wears your blade down?
Evil D

Re: Worst things to cut thread

Post by Evil D »

Carpet, drywall, some corrugated is loaded with clay and crap and heavy starch glue that will wreck an edge, insulation, nylon/nylon rope..
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
MattM68

Post by MattM68 »

I’ve found the worst things to cut are the things your friends need to borrow your knife for. That’s why I don’t loan out my knives!

I’ve never really had a problem with insulation dulling my knives. My VG-10 Delica handled it pretty well! Carpet on the other hand will destroy an edge pretty quick.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Gym mats, otherwise known as horse stall mats. 3/4 inches of rubber that closes back on the blade. Best thing to do is set a 2x4 under the portion you want to cut so the cut opens and the blade doesn't drag. Highly recommend a replaceable bladed knife that doesn't retract.
Eli Chaps

Post by Eli Chaps »

I work in metal casting and we have various high-temp "fiber glass" type insulation materials and they absolutely wreck blades.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Any stuff that grips/contaminates the edge. Wrapping and taping cellophane each require assiduous cutting to avoid getting caught or gunked up.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
vivi

Post by vivi »

skateboard grip tape. Extra thick, low grit sandpaper with strong adhesive on the back.

Used to use my Tasman Salt SE every few weeks for the job. Laying the flat side against my skateboard, the chisel grind was super easy to control.
:unicorn
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Plastic film is surprisingly hard on edges. I worked in polyethylene extrusion for a while, I wasn't quite as into knives as I am now so I never found out what kind of steel they used in their slitter blades but some films really did a number on them. It's kinda hard to say though because we sometimes ran millions of feet during an order so if you look at it that way they seem to hold an edge very well. The issue was that once they dropped down to a certain level of sharpness they would stop making clean cuts, even though they still had plenty of working edge. We could also adjust the blades to a fresh spot on the edge so you could get a lot of use out of one blade and they were double edged like a straight razor.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Roofing shingles. The heavy tar ones, with pebbles in them.
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Fiberglass muffler baffle wrap for motorcycles. Child safe knife in under an hour..
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
Joey

Post by Joey »

TomAiello wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:17 pm
I’m sure you could dull a knife quicker by cutting dirt (sticking the blade in the ground), but this gets my vote as far as task cutting goes. Those “pebbles” probably won’t cut by any means. I imagine they’d wreck any blade after a good hour or two of cutting.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

TomAiello wrote:

You didn't actually cut through into the gravel did you?

I remember you saying that you used your Maxamet Manix for this job once. Can't remember what damage, if any, happened to the edge.

At any rate I must agree that this qualifies for one of the worst things to cut. I used to do construction, and on big roofing jobs we wore away a lot of utility knife blades cutting through shingles. I never even considered using a pocket knife.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
crazywednesday

Post by crazywednesday »

TomAiello wrote:
+1
Justin
Archimedes

Post by Archimedes »

Zip ties.

Plastic clam shells. Hate these things.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Anything containing fiberglass.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Porcupines.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

The Meat man wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:56 pm
TomAiello wrote:

You didn't actually cut through into the gravel did you?

I remember you saying that you used your Maxamet Manix for this job once. Can't remember what damage, if any, happened to the edge.
I didn't actually pay attention to the gravel. I'm sure I hit some of it.

I actually repeated this several times on purpose, to look for blade damage. Manix 2 LW (Maxamet), Manix 2 s110v and PM2 M390. The Maxamet was impressive. Very little damage and stayed sharp the best. The M390 showed almost no damages actually, but definitely lost it's edge. The s110v chipped.

I originally did this because I was helping my daughter with a science fair project (she was measuring the effect on wi-fi reception of various materials placed between the transmitter and receiver), so it wasn't an "all day cutting" kind of thing. I just used the knife in my pocket (the PM2 in M390). I later tried replicating the cuts with the other two knives.
termite

Post by termite »

I cringed a little thinking of using a pocket knife to cut shingles. I can't imagine how many of those Stanley hook blades I've gone through, but if they weren't soft from being hot I used a pair of 10" tin snips (the old-school type). They didn't have to be sharp and were faster on the two-layered Tamko Heritage type with a nice neat cut. Always had some WD40 around to spray 'em if they got gummed up. That was a long time ago...it'd kill me to shingle now.
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

Kevlar cloth or random mat.
Scissors work better.

Spyder-Scissors anyone? :)
ZeroRange

Post by ZeroRange »

The worst material I've cut so far is sheetrock and the mud they use use for taping. I dulled my S30v PM2 very quickly but I have a Contego in M4 that held up a little better.