The officially unofficial new Techno 2 thread!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Unbrokenchain33

Re: The officially unofficial new Techno 2 thread!

Post by Unbrokenchain33 »

Paid $155 for the Techno 1, are these upgrades worth the extra $60?
araneae

Post by araneae »

Unbrokenchain33 wrote:Paid $155 for the Techno 1, are these upgrades worth the extra $60?
Maybe that was years ago, they have the same MSRP today. Try and find a Techno for that $155 today. $215 MAP.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Flipping Addict

Post by Flipping Addict »

I tried the first one twice and just didn’t like it, but had nothing to do with the blade shape. Had to do with the action, or lack there of. If this one is no better, will not make the mistake of picking this one up. Waiting to see what folks think and how it compares to them.
Unbrokenchain33

Post by Unbrokenchain33 »

Good point. Either way, the blade shape in the stock picture looks great, and I love the Techno 1, so I will be buying this one.
araneae wrote:
Unbrokenchain33 wrote:Paid $155 for the Techno 1, are these upgrades worth the extra $60?
Maybe that was years ago, they have the same MSRP today. Try and find a Techno for that $155 today. $215 MAP.
Nord

Post by Nord »

bryan123 wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:09 pm
3. knife is thinner and lighter overall

The Techno 2 is actually the same or Thicker than original Techno. Scales are much thicker, negating the thinner blade.

https://youtu.be/KWQdUqxNMgQ
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

It appears from the video that Eric thinks the 2 is lighter. Guess we will have to wait and see
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

I much prefer the Techno's blade shape and jimping.
But, I prefer the stand offs and the thinner blade of the Techno2...

Does anyone make standoffs for the O.G.Techno?

Oh, I also feel that taking away the lockbar insert is a huge step backwards in quality.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Humint

Post by Humint »

Bump to see if anyone has anymore info on a release date
Flizwit

Post by Flizwit »

“This model will be replaced by the second-generation Techno 2, which is currently being manufactured in Taiwan and should be available later this summer.”

From the lastest Spyderco Byte.
Own: SpyOpera, Kapara, AEB-L Urban, Techno 2, Cat, S30V Dragonfly 2, REC Lil Native, St. Nick’s Lil Native, V-Toku2 Meerkat, McBee, Cruwear Delica.
Previously Owned: CF Caly3 ZDP-189, Sage 1, Lil’ Nilakka
Want: Birdseye Maple Chaparral, Pochi, LC200N Para 3 LW
Studey

Post by Studey »

Since people still think this....

Sumdumguy wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:01 pm
Oh, I also feel that taking away the lockbar insert is a huge step backwards in quality.

There seems to be a lot of confusion floating around about this...

The original Techno had a carburized lock face. It was basically ‘heat treated’ similar to the way a Sebenza is done. This is not the same as carbidizing.

Many of the Taichung framelocks have been carburized, to good effect evidently, as lockup issues are nearly unheard of on the models that have had it. Brad confirmed that the Southard received the treatment, and someone (can’t recall who, it was either Marcin or someone from Spyderco) confirmed that the Techno and Slysz Bowie were done the same way.

This has come up before when other Taichung Ti framelocks have been released, it’s how we originally heard whether the Bowie was carburized. There’s zero reason to think that this Techno 2 is being done any differently. People are acting like the Techno has a stainless interface and that Spyderco has moved away from it on the Techno 2, when in all likelihood, they’re just doing it the same way the previous model was done since that has worked out so well.
tragique

Post by tragique »

Studey wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:13 am
Since people still think this....

Sumdumguy wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:01 pm

There seems to be a lot of confusion floating around about this...

The original Techno had a carburized lock face. It was basically ‘heat treated’ similar to the way a Sebenza is done. This is not the same as carbidizing.

Many of the Taichung framelocks have been carburized, to good effect evidently, as lockup issues are nearly unheard of on the models that have had it. Brad confirmed that the Southard received the treatment, and someone (can’t recall who, it was either Marcin or someone from Spyderco) confirmed that the Techno and Slysz Bowie were done the same way.

This has come up before when other Taichung Ti framelocks have been released, it’s how we originally heard whether the Bowie was carburized. There’s zero reason to think that this Techno 2 is being done any differently. People are acting like the Techno has a stainless interface and that Spyderco has moved away from it on the Techno 2, when in all likelihood, they’re just doing it the same way the previous model was done since that has worked out so well.
Wasn't it confirmed that Spyderco has never carburized or carbidized their lock faces on any of their knives?

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=68922&p=1046527&hil ... e#p1046527
Flizwit

Post by Flizwit »

Bump, any new word on release date?
Own: SpyOpera, Kapara, AEB-L Urban, Techno 2, Cat, S30V Dragonfly 2, REC Lil Native, St. Nick’s Lil Native, V-Toku2 Meerkat, McBee, Cruwear Delica.
Previously Owned: CF Caly3 ZDP-189, Sage 1, Lil’ Nilakka
Want: Birdseye Maple Chaparral, Pochi, LC200N Para 3 LW
tragique

Post by tragique »

Any news on this knife?
Kels73

Post by Kels73 »

I'm looking forward to this one...hopefully soon.
RobDigi

Post by RobDigi »

I bought 2 knives this year while waiting for the Techno 2 if that was Spyderco strategy...it worked!!
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

I like all the changes they made to the Techno2. I want one! Hopefully this year.
SamFisher

Post by SamFisher »

Hello folks, the Techno 2 is already available in Taiwan (where it's manufactured)!
I just got one yesterday and have been playing with it for a while. Here's a video overviewing some of its features:
https://youtu.be/Gtc8YgL-IOw
Peacedivision

Post by Peacedivision »

Bladeops added it to their new release section today with an expected availability of 12/7
DigDug72

Post by DigDug72 »

My dang leg won't stop twitching in anticipation. I'm a junky for Slysz designs but on a beer budget...