Any corrosion or patina on REX45 so far?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
awa54

Any corrosion or patina on REX45 so far?

Post by awa54 »

I'm interested to hear how this compares to M4 and HAP40, since I have yet to give my REX PM2 any cause to rust.

I haven't seen any corrosion or even patina on my BHQ PM2, but it has been wiped off any time it's seen water or plant sap. My personal HAP40 knives have shown no patina either, but a Stretch I gifted got rust and minor pitting on the edge steel after being carried on a Spartan race (plenty of sweat and some mud, left on for over a week).
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
awa54

Re: Any corrosion or patina on REX45 so far?

Post by awa54 »

cool, must be rust-proof! ;)
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
RickC27

Post by RickC27 »

I'm guessing most have just used theirs as pocket jewelry. Amazing new steel, but too afraid to use it.
Pork chop

Post by Pork chop »

It’s my first experience using a non stainless folder so I can’t compare it to m4.
It’s got a pretty good patina going so far from just slicing apples and other food. I’m really liking it.
I tried to post pics but was unable.
mb1

Post by mb1 »

I've been curious about this too. I pulled this data from the ZKnives app and sorted by Chromium content. Corrosion should be a factor of Carbon and Chromium content, correct? I also added Vanadium for my "ease of sharpening" gauge.

If I'm looking at the right elements, it seems like Rex 45 should be about the same as Hap40 and M4 for corrosion, with maybe a slight edge over M4 with less Carbon. The ranges stated for Hap40 make it a little hard to nail down.

One thing that surprised me is where 4V falls in this data set. My impression from comments made is it would be worse for corrosion than M4. This data says it should be a little better, with less C and more Cr.

- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man
vivi

Post by vivi »

give me a rex45 folder for a five minute walk in the summer heat and I guarantee you my sweat will corrode it.
:unicorn
ferider

Post by ferider »

I can see light on the front two inches of my PM2 blade edge. So I have used it, and it does need sharpening before its next use. But no corrosion at all so far - then again, I wipe it off before putting it away.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

I've been using mine since I got it, including a camping trip in the rain last weekend and a very sweaty hike riding FRP... Nothing yet. No food prep though. Someone posted some patina pics, but it was food prep related: viewtopic.php?t=80605&start=200#p1252610

No longer shaving sharp. I'm anxious to put my own bevel on it, but I'm not sure when I'll find the time and the Toku Endura is in line first. Will probably just see the SM for now tonight or tomorrow.
Joey

Post by Joey »

abbazaba wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:34 am
I've been using mine since I got it, including a camping trip in the rain last weekend and a very sweaty hike riding FRP... Nothing yet.
Was this with a dry blade? Or did you keep it well oiled during all of this? I know the rainfall on your trip makes my next question nearly obsolete, but where were you geographically? I would’ve thought that rainy camping/sweaty hiking would be pretty rough on Rex 45.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Joey wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:39 am
abbazaba wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:34 am
I've been using mine since I got it, including a camping trip in the rain last weekend and a very sweaty hike riding FRP... Nothing yet.
Was this with a dry blade? Or did you keep it well oiled during all of this? I know the rainfall on your trip makes my next question nearly obsolete, but where were you geographically? I would’ve thought that rainy camping/sweaty hiking would be pretty rough on Rex 45.
Haven't oiled it at all, never do. Wiped it clean with Purell hand wipes at camp a few times after use. Here's a pretty good shot of the blade at the top of the sweaty hike in VT last weekend.

Joey

Post by Joey »

Impressive. Thanks for the good info and pic! I’m in the desert, and haven’t dared carry mine. If mine gets a patina of any sort, I want it to be intentional. Seems I was a bit too worried!
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

mb1 wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:54 am
I've been curious about this too. I pulled this data from the ZKnives app and sorted by Chromium content. Corrosion should be a factor of Carbon and Chromium content, correct? I also added Vanadium for my "ease of sharpening" gauge.

If I'm looking at the right elements, it seems like Rex 45 should be about the same as Hap40 and M4 for corrosion, with maybe a slight edge over M4 with less Carbon. The ranges stated for Hap40 make it a little hard to nail down.

One thing that surprised me is where 4V falls in this data set. My impression from comments made is it would be worse for corrosion than M4. This data says it should be a little better, with less C and more Cr.

Don't forget molybdenum adds corrosion resistance as well
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
riorio88

Post by riorio88 »

Hi there! First time posting on the forum, long-time collector.

I picked up a Rex45 Para3 in Golden about a week ago and went hiking with it a few times in the Utah desert. Despite constant wipe-downs, I'm seeing rust spotting on the spine and in the choil jimping grooves, obviously from sweat/heat. I'll be using this one regularly, so I'm probably going to dip the entire blade in hot vinegar to get an even patina to prevent any pitting.

Anyone have a favorite patina-forcing method?
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

mb1 wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:54 am

We need to keep in mind that in order to do it’s corrosion resistance work, chromium needs to be free in the steel solution, so there have to be enough other carbide formers for the chromium to remain unbonded to carbon.
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
vivi

Post by vivi »

That's nuts. I rusted my DLC S30V Para going for a sweaty hike. Stop pin, liners, lock interface etc. Blade was good though.
:unicorn
ZeroRange

Post by ZeroRange »

Vivi wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:45 pm
That's nuts. I rusted my DLC S30V Para going for a sweaty hike. Stop pin, liners, lock interface etc. Blade was good though.
Lol my M390 Para 3 stop pin has rust but the blade is fine. I've also rusted the liners of my PM2 but not the blade.
riorio88

Post by riorio88 »

Vivi wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:45 pm
Yeah, I also have a DLC S30V para2 and had the exact same issue with rusting on the hardware. I live in a pretty humid part of the country, so I think the only way to protect against constant pitting will be a forced patina.
attila

Post by attila »

3-months-later bump.

I haven't used mine appreciably yet, so I'm wondering if anyone else has and what they have experienced.

Thanks!
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
ZeroRange

Post by ZeroRange »

I actually just bough some Flitz to remove little rust spots on the blade. I keep my knives in my back pockets and I'm known to sweat. It's been my main carry but I haven't had to cut much with it, just some boxes here and there. Other than that it's always been in my back pocket. It didn't form a patina, just a lot of little red rust spots.
mb1

Post by mb1 »

I pruned a bottle brush tree in our yard to do some edge testing when I first received my Para 3. I carved on some of the branches and got some staining. BTW, the edge stability was phenomenal. It would still shave after this.

I haven’t cut any food, but nothing else has affected mine, including a LOT of humid Florida carry.

- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man