Finding the Para 3: The Perfect Storm

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Calicoast

Re: Finding the Para 3: The Perrfect Storm

Post by Calicoast »

^^^
I can be blunt sometimes when I speak. How that comes across on the other end, I can see how it might be offensive to some. I think it's nice to have a forum where we can have open dialogue, debate opinions, but overall keep it civil. + Bloke keeping it light always has me laughing.

I wavered on the Para 3 for awhile due to all the tip up talk, when I shouldn't have. In the end...none of those issues really bothered me enough to buy it + spend the extra on a deep carry clip. Maybe we will see a new Para 3 in the future. I think the lanyard hole can be removed entirely, and the blade stock thinned a bit. But overall a fantastic knife.
C
BravoTango

Post by BravoTango »

Due to having 2XL hand size, I shied away from the Para 3 until about 6 weeks ago, at which time I picked up a Bento Box Shop M390 Para 3. Which since, I have become curiously enamored with. If it can work so well in my hands, I think it would likely work for anyone.

in using this knife I realized, that I almost NEVER use the 50/50 choil on my PM2's, Manix 2's, etc. I just don't need it, I have plenty of precise control with the full handle grip. but on the Para 3, I have to use it, and it's actually a nice change of pace.

I don't think the Para 3 blade misses a single step compared to the PM2 blade, the loss of .5" of length is negligible, and the tip is alittle stouter. though I have never had a problem with a PM2 tip myself, we've all ready the posts and rants.

I will confess, the clip placement on the Para 3 from factory, is it's biggest shortcoming. however, fortunately for me, my favorite clip maker (Hint: it's not Lynch) engineered one specifically for the geometry of the Para 3, and it is sheer pocket clip perfection.
:spyder: Ben,

The North Remembers.

Has (Always in flux): Shaman, Chef, Techno, M390 Para 3, Gayle Bradley 2, Manix 2 M4. Manix 2 XL, Blue Weave Domino, CF Chaparral, Vtoku2 Endura 4, D-Fly Salt Hawk SE.[/s].

Wants: Manix 2 XL CPM-M4 or 4V, Compression Lock, Tip-up Military, Yojimbo 2 XL.
BigGrove

Post by BigGrove »

Designing a product is about making choices and compromises. I think we can all agree that Spyderco puts a lot of thought into the design of their products. As part of the Military/Paramilitary 2 family, the Para 3 has a look and functionality that carries the same DNA. The blade shape, clip and lanyard hole design are very intentional choices. For example having it ride high facilitates much easier extraction from the pocket, especially with gloves or in adverse conditions.

I get why some might feel that the design choices made for the Para 3 may not be ideal for how he or she wants to use it, but in some ways this is equivalent to buying a Corvette and then complaining how poorly it performs trying to crawl over rocks. Buy a Jeep for that job. Of course a Corvette can be modified to crawl over rocks but then it's been compromised so much from it's original design that it doesn't do anything well. Spyderco makes Jeeps, Corvettes and nearly everything in between. Part of the fun is trying them out to see what is the best fit.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

The Para 3 is growing on me. Going to try carrying my Rex45 for a few days to see how it compares to my usual Native LW / Native G10 EDC. Making me regret selling my BBS M390. I don't really want to buy another from them as I don't care for their price gouging, but that is another topic altogether!

I agree that I would prefer an official stock Spyderco deep carry clip, and much nearer to the top of the scales to effectively make it disappear in the pocket. But I do understand that there is a contingent of lanyard users and it is hard to please everyone. The suggestion of the Native LW style clip where the lanyard hole goes through the clip is a good one. Especially if it was a lynch style deep carry clip. Certainly seems like the ideal setup. I know I can get an aftermarket lynch clip, but this isn't an AR that I am trying to trick out, I like to keep my Spydies stock. :)
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
RickC27

Post by RickC27 »

Lynch offers a clip for the Para 3 that doesn't hinder the use of the lanyard hole. I have both, Lynch and MXG deep carry clips for some of my PM2's and Para 3's. Not a must have for the PM2 imo, but definitely for the Para 3.

Resized_20180806_132455.jpeg
Resized_20180806_132603.jpeg
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Devils advocate, the lanyard tube is perfectly located for those who use/ prefer a lanyard! Agree the p3 benefits from a deep carry clip, makes the price a wee bit higher.
colin.p

Post by colin.p »

I kind of chuckle over what some people consider as a catastrophic failure as to the pocket clip position on the Para 3. I find it sticks out of the pocket just a 1/4 inch more than the PM2. Not much more in the grand scheme of things.

I was thinking about an MXG clip for both but actually prefer the standard clip and how far BOTH knives stick out of the pocket hasn't been a concern for me. Now that is rather strange as all my Benchmade's have deep carry clips, but maybe I'll start to put the standard clips back on them just for hellry.
Extra330SC

Post by Extra330SC »

colin.p wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:38 pm
I kind of chuckle over what some people consider as a catastrophic failure as to the pocket clip position on the Para 3. I find it sticks out of the pocket just a 1/4 inch more than the PM2. Not much more in the grand scheme of things.

I was thinking about an MXG clip for both but actually prefer the standard clip and how far BOTH knives stick out of the pocket hasn't been a concern for me. Now that is rather strange as all my Benchmade's have deep carry clips, but maybe I'll start to put the standard clips back on them just for hellry.
You summed it up nicely about the whole para3 clip controversy. So far I don't really notice the difference carrying deep or if the knife is sticking out 1/2-3/4 of an inch. I've also never looked at someones pocket to see if there is a visible blade, pen, money clip , etc sticking out! I've grown up with family /friends in law enforcement and military looking at people on how they are behaving in any situation ...not how far a knife is sticking out of a pocket.

I've only in the last 7 months started collecting and using knives on a daily basis , So I don't have as much experience to what works on any given day/situation. Spyderco seems to be very involved and cares about their products which is awesome. ... Especially being able to give input to a company that actually listens to a minority of the users. I think for every 1 person that buys a sprint run....10 or 15 regular para 3 /PM2s are sold online or in stores to people that don't know/care about pocket clip placement! I think the knife is perfect stock and the ability to buy aftermarket clips for people that want one...just that much better.

James

To a new user who only has 20 or so spydercos between 5 or so different models...the clips of the maxamet manix /native and PM2 (S110v ) sit relatively similar in pocket . And not much lower then Para3...JMHO
Attachments
2018-08-21 18.01.31.jpg
Crux

Post by Crux »

I love the Para 3. My most favorite knife to date. I really like the compression lock as well as the feel and size. :)
Attachments
Spyderco Para 3s_.JPG
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek:
cptdean

Post by cptdean »

I don't mind the standard clip so far, but I can see where some customers might want a little more concealment. My young daughter has commented several days this week on the "pretty blue knife" (M390 Para 3) in my pocket. I doubt she would have noticed just a clip (or a black knife), but bright colors catch her eye.
Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes by itself.

Dragonfly 2
, Para Military 2, Native 5 Lightweight, Chaparral Lightweight, Para 3
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

I had my One-Eyed Jack out and was comparing it to the Para 2. The One-Eyed Jack feels heftier but the handle is shorter. I then found this:
Interestingly, the cutting edges are almost the same length.
The Para 3 fills the hand and has excellent ergonomics with a full grip. The One-Eyed Jack’s three finger grip fits securely in hand with the thumb on the ramp because its a bit thicker in cross section and the handle curve fits into the natural curve of the palm.
Very different yet secure grips with the same cutting edge lengths.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Calicoast

Post by Calicoast »

I wonder how many of these opinions reflect not trying and or wanting the extra expense of buying a deep carry clip? If I didn't try or buy one, I would be perfectly content with the factory clip. And to me, this is really just tip up specific on this knife.
C
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Aside from the Clip, my only other complaint on the Para 3 (and PM2 for that matter), is that the liners on the DLC models aren't coated like they are on the Manix and other models. I have heard that this is because the DLC coating reduces friction and the compression lock isn't as effective. But couldn't you just add a step to sand/buff/grind off the coating on the very small portion of the liner that does the locking?? Every step in manufacturing adds cost obviously, but i'd gladly pay a few extra dollars on the DLC models to have a coated liner. The stainless liners look weird to me when everything else is coated.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

MichaelScott wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:07 am
I had my One-Eyed Jack out and was comparing it to the Para 2. The One-Eyed Jack feels heftier but the handle is shorter. I then found this:
Interestingly, the cutting edges are almost the same length.
The Para 3 fills the hand and has excellent ergonomics with a full grip. The One-Eyed Jack’s three finger grip fits securely in hand with the thumb on the ramp because its a bit thicker in cross section and the handle curve fits into the natural curve of the palm.
Very different yet secure grips with the same cutting edge lengths.

Isn’t that interesting, thanks for posting that! I do like the lines on the jack. I’ve thought the Manbug blade looked like a scaled down jack, I wonder how close they really are. There’s something very right about that blade shape.
Mstach07

Post by Mstach07 »

Sold off all but one PM2 bc the Para 3 quickly became my favorite platform. I also like trying new steels. I normally carry tip down back pocket.
No safe queens. All users here:
D63841B2-FD01-4635-A43A-8257C687CC82.jpeg
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Wow, nice collection. I’m realizing the level of my Spydie dorkness because I know what each of those is!
RickC27

Post by RickC27 »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:03 pm
Wow, nice collection. I’m realizing the level of my Spydie dorkness because I know what each of those is!
Haha! Same here. Went right down the line. I'm such a blow hard for a deep carry clip for this knife, I'd have spent a couple hundred dollars on freaking pocket clips for all those!

Very nice collection!
Mstach07

Post by Mstach07 »

Thank you gentlemen. You also may have noted the hardware change between the s90v and 204p. I like the silver on olive g10 better. 🤓
RickC27

Post by RickC27 »

So the real question is, if you can answer it...which steel of all of those is your favorite, and why?
Mstach07

Post by Mstach07 »

Not much time spent with the rex. At this moment probably the s90v. It’s a good blend of toughness and edge retention while still being stainless. It’s been a hot and humid summer and it provides me peace of mind it won’t rust as easily when I’m sweaty. I rank cruwear second based on my usage and enjoyment of sharpening. I also find it exciting to get that 52100 razor sharp.