What Spyderco is in your pocket today??

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Filoso-

Re: What Spyderco is in your pocket today??

Post by Filoso- »

legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Was gonna turn this duo into a trio today with the Rivers edge version but I guess they'll have to wait for their orange rex brother to be berthed from the mail man.
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
skybladefromthe

Post by skybladefromthe »

Filoso- wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:33 pm
Neat!
Featherblade

Post by Featherblade »

Tenacious

RickC27

Post by RickC27 »

Going to be a late night at work with a lot of downtime. I'm going to do some scale/hardware swapping with these two, BUT...I just tried loosening the pivot screws on the Rex45...those suckers are on there good. Loosened up the M4 screws with no issue. Don't want to risk stripping the Rex45's, kind of irritated because any of my other Spyderco's I've had no issue with this. Of course it has to happen with this one when I actually really need to get the screws loose!
Resized_20180815_113017.jpeg
Calicoast

Post by Calicoast »

^^^
Yah, I know it's a bummer.
I had that happen with my Para 3 M390. There locked up, so I have to send it in. Or I might just keep it locked that way since it's nice and tight. Just clean with compressed air, etc until I decide to send it in.
C
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Feeling kinda blue at work today...

Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

RickC27 wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:53 am
Going to be a late night at work with a lot of downtime. I'm going to do some scale/hardware swapping with these two, BUT...I just tried loosening the pivot screws on the Rex45...those suckers are on there good. Loosened up the M4 screws with no issue. Don't want to risk stripping the Rex45's, kind of irritated because any of my other Spyderco's I've had no issue with this. Of course it has to happen with this one when I actually really need to get the screws loose!
Calicoast wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:08 am
^^^
I had that happen with my Para 3 M390. There locked up, so I have to send it in. Or I might just keep it locked that way since it's nice and tight. Just clean with compressed air, etc until I decide to send it in.
C
Lay the knife down so the pivot is resting on a block of wood (or something reasonably solid so it doesn't trash the knife), insert the appropriate sized torx bit (T10?) in the pivot screw that you want to loosen, give the end of the torx bit a few sharp smacks with a plastic mallet. You can use a small hammer too just don't hit it too hard and damage the knife. This should loosen the thread locker enough to unscrew the pivot screw. I've done it several times now and it's worked every time. I just did it the other night to my Rex Para 3.

This is the set up I use but the other night I just hit the end of the torx bit.

Caustic Dick

Post by Caustic Dick »

Endura 4.
Don't get bit by your Spyderco........
RickC27

Post by RickC27 »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:38 pm
RickC27 wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:53 am
Calicoast wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:08 am
^^^
C
Lay the knife down so the pivot is resting on a block of wood (or something reasonably solid so it doesn't trash the knife), insert the appropriate sized torx bit (T10?) in the pivot screw that you want to loosen, give the end of the torx bit a few sharp smacks with a plastic mallet. You can use a small hammer too just don't hit it too hard and damage the knife. This should loosen the thread locker enough to unscrew the pivot screw. I've done it several times now and it's worked every time. I just did it the other night to my Rex Para 3.

This is the set up I use but the other night I just hit the end of the torx bit.

I will give that a try! Thanks for the tip. Hopefully that will work.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Image Goin big with the Shaman and HBDfly :D
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

This, which is quickly climbing the scale of favorite PM2's
Imageimg hosting
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
Featherblade

Post by Featherblade »

Tenacious

RickC27

Post by RickC27 »

Well, that didn't work out as I had hoped. I have (2) of the Rex45 Para 3's. On both of them, the show side pivot screw would not come loose, but the pocket clip side screw came out fairly easily. On the one knife I plan on keeping, especially now...it stripped pretty badly :mad: So I used more caution with the 2nd knife and I could feel it beginning to slip so I immediately stopped. Feeling pretty bummed and irritated right now. Really wanted my orange/black DLC M4 Para 3. At this point I'm just not going to risk any further damage to the one I'm keeping, nor risk damage to the other one I plan on selling or trading. I just find it very odd that the screw on the same side of each knife gave me a fit, yet the other side loosened up fairly easily. First time I've run into this. Was very excited about making this mod/creation :o
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

RickC27 wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:59 pm
Well, that didn't work out as I had hoped. I have (2) of the Rex45 Para 3's. On both of them, the show side pivot screw would not come loose, but the pocket clip side screw came out fairly easily. On the one knife I plan on keeping, especially now...it stripped pretty badly :mad: So I used more caution with the 2nd knife and I could feel it beginning to slip so I immediately stopped. Feeling pretty bummed and irritated right now. Really wanted my orange/black DLC M4 Para 3. At this point I'm just not going to risk any further damage to the one I'm keeping, nor risk damage to the other one I plan on selling or trading. I just find it very odd that the screw on the same side of each knife gave me a fit, yet the other side loosened up fairly easily. First time I've run into this. Was very excited about making this mod/creation :o

That's a disappointment! Did you try heating up the screw to loosen up the thread lock? I've heard that helps.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
RickC27

Post by RickC27 »

The Meat man wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:02 pm
RickC27 wrote:

That's a disappointment! Did you try heating up the screw to loosen up the thread lock? I've heard that helps.
I'm at work right now, but will consider giving that a try when I'm home one of these days and my confidence is back up. Use the wife's blow dryer and see if that will work. Need to come across some extra pivot screws first to be on the safe side...getting some of those is probably as likely as seeing a unicorn.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

RickC27 wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:12 pm
The Meat man wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:02 pm
RickC27 wrote:

I'm at work right now, but will consider giving that a try when I'm home one of these days and my confidence is back up. Use the wife's blow dryer and see if that will work. Need to come across some extra pivot screws first to be on the safe side...getting some of those is probably as likely as seeing a unicorn.
A blow dryer never really worked for me. A soldering iron with a thin tip applied to the center of the screw will heat it up much better. I don't really like to do that just because I'm always paranoid that I'll touch the scale with the business end of the iron. So when I heard how Spyderco's W&R does it (method described previously) I tried it and it worked. Been doing that ever since. Some knives have more thread locker than others so they require a few more raps with the mallet but I haven't been let down yet.

What kind of Torx bits are you using? Some cheaper bits don't fit the screw head as well as the higher quality bits. I have several cheaper sets but finally bought a Wiha set and there's definitely a difference. Also, the type of driver you're using makes a big difference. I have a ratcheting driver with a long shank and big ball shaped handle that my Dad gave me when I was a kid that works great.
RickC27

Post by RickC27 »

Maybe I needed to be a little more forceful with my hammer strikes. I was just worried about possibly stripping the screw even more after the initial first slip. I have a Kobalt brand of torx bits I got from Lowe's, though they just swap in and out and have your basic screwdriver handle. Was tempted to take a power drill to it haha.
blueblur

Post by blueblur »

Is it possible the pivot screw on the show side doesn’t turn? I remember, I think on the PM2, one side doesn’t turn as it has a flat cut into it. It may help to search some disassembly vids before you go any further.