D Rocket Designs?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
TomAiello

D Rocket Designs?

Post by TomAiello »

Anyone know anything about these knives?

I found them on a major on line retailer, and I see that they have a short-ish blade (and their 916 area code makes me think that's to stay legal at home).

Has anyone handled one? Any feedback on fit and finish?

I definitely find m390 in an OTF pretty intriguing, and I admit that as a Calirefugee I want to support anyone trying to make a go of it in the hostile environment of my original homeland.
The Deacon

Re: D Rocket Designs?

Post by The Deacon »

Hadn't heard of them until your post. Have to say that the overall design and slightly sub 3" DE blade intrigue me.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I saw the HQ of blades advertise them in an email and with Louisiana being switch blade legal I'm in the market. Of course it being a new company I like to wait and see what kind of track record they have for reliability.
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

Looks like it's by custom knife maker Darriel Caston

http://www.drocketdesign.com/pages/about/
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Yeah, its Darriel Caston's brand. He's been making and selling under the name D Rocket Designs for at least a year now.
I have no experience with his knives, other than the Spyderco Squarehead. I'm a big fan of his work and would absolutely love to get my hands on one of his knives, I've heard good things. Would also love to see Spyderco work more with Darriel Caston on future collaborations.

In one of his social media posts he mentioned receiving feedback from knife maker Howard Viele about his OTF "Zulu" model. He said - "Hi Darriel got the Zulu. I am blown away. The workmanship is absolutely at the highest level."

His AbOhlone flipper and Zulu OTF are definitely on my radar!
-Nick :bug-red
SpyderScout

Post by SpyderScout »

Anybody know where they are made?
Recently stumbled over a similar knife to that 'long dogtag flipper' on ebay during the usual knife search.
It was from China and was cheap (didnt buy it).
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I've tracked down a squarehead. It's quite an interesting design.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
ShaneInDenver

Post by ShaneInDenver »

That Zulu with the leather sheath is just too cool!

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bl_WwVaHchA/
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I ordered a Zulu.

I'm going to look into that leather sheath too.

I'll commit to EDC for a few weeks once I get it, to see what I think. :)
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I'd like to see more Spyderco collabs in the future. His stuff has a look unlike most others.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

So far I'm very impressed with this little auto.

It's small enough to be almost non-threatening, so I wouldn't consider it "tactical", and the action is strong and smooth.

The ergonomics are obviously not like a folder--it's a typical boxy OTF. It does have a nice texture (and grip enhancing "dimples") that give it a much firmer grip than I'd expected, but it's mostly a smooth, sleek feel, not a big grippy handle.

The double edged blade is obviously not as good a slicer as single edged, because the grind has to be thicker (since it has only half the distance).

So far it's really fun, and feels super high quality. It won't become and EDC (smallish blade and the ergonomics don't suit most of my daily tasks), but I'm really enjoying it.