Manbug Talk

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
cabfrank

Re: Manbug Talk

Post by cabfrank »

I like my Manbug, but I agree with those above that would like a clip. I know Sal said he has a wire clip design, but with all the other business going on, it has remained on the shelf. Maybe someday. I still carry mine a lot at work, but on days I think I am more likely to need a knife, I usually carry a Dragonfly instead, largely because of the clip. Both are great knives.
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Have a ladybug in hap40, worried about humid weather though, so haven't really used it... Contemplating an h1 man or lady bug ... Though I'm always torn, because for a few dollars more, there's the dragonfly...
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

GarageBoy wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:48 pm
Have a ladybug in hap40, worried about humid weather though, so haven't really used it... Contemplating an h1 man or lady bug ... Though I'm always torn, because for a few dollars more, there's the dragonfly...

Lots of people use the Man/Ladybug with a fob tied to it for extra grip. For me they're keychain knives, which is why I prefer the Ladybug (it's thinner and fits on keys better). If I just wanted a small knife to use I'd go with the Dragonfly.

Actually what I'd really like is a VG10 Grasshopper....hint hint.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

GarageBoy wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:48 pm
I live in a fairly humid area and have a bunch of HAP40 as well other tool steels. HAP40 Manbug or Dragonfly (without clip) are in the bottom of my pocket quite often. I haven't had any issues with corrosion.

So use that little knife! Just keep an eye on it. I bet it'll be fine.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

The two biggest reasons for me to go with the Manbug instead of the Dragonfly are 1) size, and 2) cost. I love the Dragonfly design; I don't think that anyone could argue that the MB fits the hand better than the Dfly. But for me the Manbug is too small to carry exclusively, and if I'm going to carry two knives, I want the secondary knife to be as small and light as possible.

Cost is the other thing. Sure the Dfly might only be 20 or 30 dollars more but add that up over the cost of 3 or 4 knives and suddenly it's a $100 difference. You can buy two Manbugs for that.

Of course they're two different knives and you can't really do direct comparisons. In my opinion, the Dragonfly is no less a genius design, and I'm still on the fence about buying that beautiful Pakkawood HAP40 exclusive. Probably the best looking Spyderco I've ever seen.

How about a Pakkawood HAP40 Manbug? ;)
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
SG89

Post by SG89 »

The Meat man wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:45 pm
😎
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:07 pm
The Meat man wrote:
😎
With the bolsters from the G10 version?! :)
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

The Meat man wrote:
The two biggest reasons for me to go with the Manbug instead of the Dragonfly are 1) size, and 2) cost. I love the Dragonfly design; I don't think that anyone could argue that the MB fits the hand better than the Dfly. But for me the Manbug is too small to carry exclusively, and if I'm going to carry two knives, I want the secondary knife to be as small and light as possible.
I was thinking this way too until I took the clip off my FRN HAP40 Dragonfly to use on my Positron. One day I dropped the Dragonfly in the bottom of my pocket and carried it along with something bigger (PM2 or Manix?). I was really surprised at how well the Dragonfly carried in the bottom of my pocket. I couldn't even tell it was there. It's a little bigger than a Manbug but not enough to really feel. I still mostly carry a Manbug but now that Dragonfly gets carried on days I have something bigger on me.

That Pakkawood MB is a great idea!
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Hmmm... how about a hap40/pakkawood one eyed jack?
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

What about a hap pakkawood mb with bolster?
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
markg

Post by markg »

Been using a ZDP-189 Manbug for years. Honestly I can't tell a lot of difference between the Manbug or Ladybug unless I put them side by side.

Honestly I would like to see this knife as a Slipjoint, most of the time the lock is un needed and just in the way. Then again I could just use my Roadie instead at that point.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

knivesandbooks wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:22 pm
What about a hap pakkawood mb with bolster?
That would be one classy little knife!
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Pakkawood with bolsters would be interesting. I tend to carry my G10 more than my Super Blue FRN because I simple love the way it looks. I would love a burgundy linen micarta Manbug with bolsters.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:12 pm
Pakkawood with bolsters would be interesting. I tend to carry my G10 more than my Super Blue FRN because I simple love the way it looks. I would love a burgundy linen micarta Manbug with bolsters.
O.o I like that idea too. Would make a great little agent's knife, regardless of the steel.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

I am curious, can't you put a clip in it using the lanyard hole to attach a screw, pin or bolt through? :confused:
just asking as it seems an easy, quick fix to the clip issue
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

ThePeacent wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:46 am
I am curious, can't you put a clip in it using the lanyard hole to attach a screw, pin or bolt through? :confused:
just asking as it seems an easy, quick fix to the clip issue
Maybe... although it might be hard to keep the clip from rotating.
- Connor

Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I am not knocking this idea of a clip, but for me it seems to be better to leave it as is. I see no need, personally, for a clip on such a tiny knife. It works fine like it is, for me.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
markg

Post by markg »

I agree on such a small knife a clip is pointless. What you may consider, however, is that clip attachment they make for SAK's. It is a clip that attaches to the key ring. The knife hangs from it in the pocket, but still is clipped.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I think it’s great just as it is... but I do like the idea of a featherweight knife clipped to a shirt pocket. Wire clip, and it would just look like a pen, and be very handy, thus freeing up pocket room for more, larger knives... so a clip you could put on using the lanyard hole would be nice.
- best wishes, Jazz.