Manbug Talk

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
The Meat man

Manbug Talk

Post by The Meat man »

I've been having a lot of fun the past week with this little guy:
The attachment DSC_0375-1600x2406.JPG is no longer available
The attachment DSC_0402-2406x1600.JPG is no longer available

DSC_0375-1600x2406.JPG

I've come to appreciate more and more the design and utility of this diminutive Spydie. It's definitely a "big" little knife for me - I've found it capable of probably 90% of all my EDC needs. (The rest gets covered by my Pacific Salt). And it comes in a package that is so light and unobtrusive. The only thing I would want added is a small wire pocket clip - I've had them occasionally slip out of my pocket while sitting in a chair.

Currently the only one I own is the ZDP-189 version, but I've got a Super Blue and HAP40 Manbug coming in the mail, as well as the wharncliffe H-1 SE version. Can't wait to try them out!

Anyone else a fan or user of the Manbug? Share your thoughts and experiences with this small but serious knife!
Last edited by The Meat man on Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
The Meat man

Re: Manbug Talk

Post by The Meat man »

DSC_0402-2406x1600.JPG
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

20180812_103728-1740x1157.jpg
- Connor

Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I have the ZDP & HAP40 Manbugs. One or the other is usually riding in the bottom of my pocket and they've both seen a lot of action.

V-Toku 2 Manbug is next...
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:05 am

V-Toku 2 Manbug is next...

Yes I still have not decided whether or not to grab one when they drop. The nice thing is they are relatively inexpensive so maybe I will.
- Connor

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I asked for a beefier Ladybug probably 7 years ago, and I guess in some ways we got it. But, I would like to see it beefier where it really counts... give it a larger pivot so it can handle more stress. That's really the weakest point in these knives. I know they're not built for hard use but the Ladybug/Manbug/Dragonfly are very capable for their size and could really be leaned on if they were built stronger in the pivot.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
sal

Post by sal »

We've not had complaints of pivot issues?

sal
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Evil D wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:25 am
I asked for a beefier Ladybug probably 7 years ago, and I guess in some ways we got it. But, I would like to see it beefier where it really counts... give it a larger pivot so it can handle more stress. That's really the weakest point in these knives. I know they're not built for hard use but the Ladybug/Manbug/Dragonfly are very capable for their size and could really be leaned on if they were built stronger in the pivot.
David, that is a good CQI idea. Like you said, while they're not built for super hard use they are capable of a lot more than you might expect. A larger/beefier pivot would help a lot especially given their linerless FRN design.

I have a Dfly 2 Salt, and after using it on a bunch of tough cardboard it developed nearly unacceptable (for me) levels of up-and-down blade play - the amount of movement is easily visible.
Last edited by The Meat man on Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Connor

The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

sal wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:40 am

sal
No complaints Sal, just that I think it would make an already surprisingly robust knife a bit more so.
- Connor

farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

I have a few SB's (shirt pocket carry daily) a couple Haps, the G10, and the H1. Great little knife and use it constantly for quick easy cuts. I'll be picking up the Vtok also.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
SG89

Post by SG89 »

I prefer the Manbug to the Ladybug and also would love it if it had a metal clip similar to an inkpen clip
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Here’s what I think, and please, no comments about cutting arteries. I know, and was more careful than you can tell here. :rolleyes:

https://youtu.be/OFsLeBGrvPQ

https://youtu.be/qgUn1xWYPAQ
- best wishes, Jazz.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

I'd LOVE to see a Ti Damascus version like the Delica and Endura received. It would be a little classy tank.

knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

I'm completely fine with the way they're made. I just think it would be cool to see a ss or titanium sprint. Especially if Spyderco did a tattoo or engraved version.

Edit: abbazaba beat me to it
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

sal wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:40 am

sal

I didn't mean to imply that there were any, only that it would be stronger overall with a larger pivot. As someone else mentioned, the only issue I've had with my Dragonflies is pivot play, which seems like it could be remedied by a larger pivot pin.
~David
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:04 am
I prefer the Manbug to the Ladybug and also would love it if it had a metal clip similar to an inkpen clip

A small wire clip like the Baliyo uses would be awesome on these.
~David
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Still haven't owned a Manbug yet! :confused: Have always stuck with the Ladybug.

Have been eyeing the Manbug Salt since its release, just haven't pulled the trigger!
-Nick :bug-red
EVB

Post by EVB »

Love the Manbug & Ladybug, keep the Manbug in a little survival kit for hiking etc, small, light and immensely reassuring.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

I have only had the Jester and the LB. I much prefer the Jester.

I've been carrying my SS Kiwi instead since it came. It fits in my coin pocket aswell, if not better than my Jester.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Not saying the Manbug's the most robust knife but....

Several months ago we purchased a large gun safe to put in ome of the offices at work. After we offloaded it from the back of our truck a couple of our warehouse guys were trying to figure out the best way to remove the safe from the big cardboard box it was in. So I pulled a Manbug out of my pocket and zipped the blade down each corner and the sides of the box fell away. The guys moved the safe into the office and I proceeded to slice all the cardboard into smaller pieces. When I was done one of the guys was looking at me in disbelief that I just did all that so quickly with a tiny little knife. :)

I normally wouldn't choose a Manbug (or even a Dragonfly) for a job like that but I just wanted to see how it work. It actually worked pretty well. The blade was hot to the touch immediately afterward but there's no discernible blade play or other issues.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!