Spyderco Calypso Jr. Sprint Run Knife Gray (Aogami Super Blue)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
elena86

Re: Spyderco Calypso Jr. Sprint Run Knife Gray (Aogami Super Blue)

Post by elena86 »

I only hope Calypso jr. is here to stay. Looking forward to a VG10 variant but not only ....
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Just got an email about this item still being pre ordered, I wish it would say shipped...

Any news? The wait for this and the Salty Native are killing me.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
illacky

Post by illacky »

This is my most anticipated knife since the caly 3 hap 40 sprint. I hope it drops soon!

Never tried a Caly JR before...
-Ivan
MrSuperBlue

Post by MrSuperBlue »

I've been waiting all year for this model. I can't wait to add it to the Super Blue clan!
Hopefully Spyderco releases more than 1 Super Blue model next year.
I know there isn't an issue with the demand of the steel :)
How about a Caly 3.5 damascus?!

So what's the next Super Blue model coming? ;)
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

MrSuperBlue wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:48 am
I've been waiting all year for this model. I can't wait to add it to the Super Blue clan!
Hopefully Spyderco releases more than 1 Super Blue model next year.
I know there isn't an issue with the demand of the steel :)

Maybe they could do some DLC coated Solid Superblue knives like this new DLC Hap40 Delica. A solid superblue dragonfly 2 in red frn with DLC would be cool.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Any updates on this one? Looking forward to this release!
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Strider

Post by Strider »

Can I request that we not post in this thread asking for updates? Every time I receive an email I get my hopes up that it is finally time.
My preference would be to only post if you have an update or notice for everyone.
awa54

Post by awa54 »

elena86 wrote:
Sat May 05, 2018 10:12 am
I only hope Calypso jr. is here to stay. Looking forward to a VG10 variant but not only ....

Has Spyderco ever brought a discontinued model back to regular production?
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

awa54 wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:09 pm
elena86 wrote:

You know that’s good question; of course it has been done for sprint runs like the Jester, but I don’t know about bringing something back for regular production.
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
Robbob

Post by Robbob »

elena86 wrote:
A Salt would be awesome, especially considering the fish scale pattern. However, regular-production VG10 would be great.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Robbob wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:58 am
elena86 wrote:
A Salt would be awesome, especially considering the fish scale pattern. However, regular-production VG10 would be great.
I would be down for a Salt version! I really like the look of the Calypso and Jr.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
mattman

Post by mattman »

awa54 wrote:
elena86 wrote:

Generally, no, but the reason most given for discontinued models is "slow sales". My understanding regarding the Caly family, is that they were discontinued due to quality issues, and sal was working with the third (?) generation at the factory to overcome these issues... My assumption was that they would return, providing the issues could be resolved (at least the Caly 3 & 3.5, idk about original Calypso).

(This is from back when they announced that they were going to be discontinued, so my memory might be a tad hazy)
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

mattman wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:10 pm
awa54 wrote:
elena86 wrote:

Generally, no, but the reason most given for discontinued models is "slow sales". My understanding regarding the Caly family, is that they were discontinued due to quality issues, and sal was working with the third (?) generation at the factory to overcome these issues... My assumption was that they would return, providing the issues could be resolved (at least the Caly 3 & 3.5, idk about original Calypso).

(This is from back when they announced that they were going to be discontinued, so my memory might be a tad hazy)

So if the quality issues have been resolved to a point that they can do a sprint, then why not productionalize it? H1 SE Salt would be very cool. Solid SRS-15 and solid Hap40, etc would be great as well. Such a great little model. Hope to see a triumphant return to glory! Ill be grabbing a few Superblue for sure.
mattman

Post by mattman »

steelcity16 wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:37 pm
mattman wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:10 pm
awa54 wrote:
elena86 wrote:

So if the quality issues have been resolved to a point that they can do a sprint, then why not productionalize it? H1 SE Salt would be very cool. Solid SRS-15 and solid Hap40, etc would be great as well. Such a great little model. Hope to see a triumphant return to glory! Ill be grabbing a few Superblue for sure.
IIRC, sal mentioned that the recent Sprint was somewhat of a trial/test run. I haven't seen any complaints about the Sprint quality, but I'd speculate that they were examined pretty closely during QC in Golden, so I don't know what the actual outcome is.
blendergasket

Post by blendergasket »

Is it possible to preorder this somewhere in a way that guarantees that I get one?
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

blendergasket wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:01 pm
Is it possible to preorder this somewhere in a way that guarantees that I get one?
Probably not this late in the game. Even if you can find a dealer that's still accepting pre-orders I wouldn't get on the list and expect to get one. At this point it's probably best to just wait until these start to drop, find a dealer that has them in stock, and place your order asap.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
blendergasket

Post by blendergasket »

Will do, thanks!
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Loveliness!

It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

What? RS, where did the pics of a genuine specimen come from. Does that mean these are close?
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:52 pm
What? RS, where did the pics of a genuine specimen come from. Does that mean these are close?
Spydergirl just said she saw one of these for sale on eBay

//forum.spyderco.com/viewto ... 4#p1261754
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!