So, let's chat about the Chinook

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
markg

So, let's chat about the Chinook

Post by markg »

I have been a long time Chinook fan. I had a Chinook 2, and 3. Always wanted the Chinook 1. Gotta say I liked the 2 over the 3, even with the added weight.

So, I am looking at getting the Chinook 4, any input people have on it? I know I will get one, just looking to be pushed over the edge.
sal

Re: So, let's chat about the Chinook

Post by sal »

Interesting, unusual, strong lock. Lighter thinner design.

sal
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

It's been on my list for a long time, but it always seems to get bumped. You should get it and then bug me about how good it is until I get one too.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
markg

Post by markg »

sal wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:26 pm
Interesting, unusual, strong lock. Lighter thinner design.

sal
OK, well that will push me over the edge. :)
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I so much liked the Chinook III mainly because of it's full flat grind blade. Also it is one model if I ever can get someone to put serrations on the blade that is one model I would do that with. The Chinook has so much going for it. It's one of the most rigid, solid models ever to come out of the Great Spyder FActory.

I haven't got a chance to check out the newer edition first hand yet but I'm anxious to see it up close. Again that would be an awesome model to try out in Spyderedge.
holeshot

Post by holeshot »

markg wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:49 pm
I have been a long time Chinook fan. I had a Chinook 2, and 3. Always wanted the Chinook 1. Gotta say I liked the 2 over the 3, even with the added weight.

So, I am looking at getting the Chinook 4, any input people have on it? I know I will get one, just looking to be pushed over the edge.
I bought one about a month ago and love it. Lighter, thinner and absolutely very cool. I live in SF and work in a questionable neighborhood so I always carry two knives, one tactical (chinook 4) and a smaller EDC Spyderco like a PM3 ect... Get one you will not be disappointed! :)
"No matter where you go, there you are"
markg

Post by markg »

I got a Chinook 2 and loved it. I sold it to fund something and thought "I will get one later..." They got discontinued.

I got a Chinook 3 and loved it, and we had some financial issues and I needed to sell some stuff, sold it thinking I would pick one up later... Then it got discontinued.

When I get one of the 4's... Don't think I will sell it!!!
KingRat

Post by KingRat »

I bought one when they first came out, last September (2017). I liked it enough to buy a backup in January (2018), as the Iron Curtain against knife importation fell here in Canada. I thought the first one I bought was a nice knife, but the second one I have is even better.

They are nice knives. The lock is interesting. Very solid lockup. You don't see the blade play you do in the standard Seki backlocks. Came sharp. I was impressed with the blade Seki put on it. Even without a choil, the handle shape allows you to choke up pretty good. It is relatively thin, as Sal said. I expected it to be thicker. My Native 5's, with 3mm blade stock, are thicker knives.

I've had some difficulty in sharpening, mainly rolling the burr from side to side at the extreme of the belly, but I've learned to deal with this by going freehand on the sharpmaker stones.

If I have one gripe, it is the clip, or rather it's location. I like tip down, for a number of reasons, but the main reason is that I find that right side tip down is the most comfortable in most grips. (To me, the clip on the Military is perfect, and I wish it was on every knife.) I've tried removing the clip, and this seems a decent option.

One day I will marry a Military clip to my user Chinook 4, and all will be right in the world. If there is ever a Chinook 5, that is my one request.
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

I've been looking at this model recently since I've been carrying my rhino. It looks so mean.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!